Michael Giacchino's THE BATMAN (2022)

Jay

12 hours ago, Jay said:

New minute+ clip with Giacchino score the entire time

The cue could be unreleased because Shazam and Aha don't recognize it, but maybe they don't have the full albums in their DB yet

reminds me a little of hans cat women theme.

i like the strings at the end

I liked that Batman and Catwoman clip, not the score, but the clip, but does every single costume that's not Batman's have to be so dull and overly "realistic"? If you're going to have the over the head Catwoman mask, just go full on mask. Why the ski mask with a little hint at the ears poking out? So unnecessary. Same with the Batmobile. We can't have a cool design cause that'd be cheesy, so just make it either a tank or a normal car with attachments. 

I keep re-iterating this, but the Arkham games (with Knight as the exception) just balanced the gritty with comic accurate style so much better than this movie design-wise. I'm sure the movie will be good, but something about this obnoxiously dark and gritty approach of it in practically every aspect just rubs me the wrong way. It comes across simultaneously as pretentious, and disingenuous, aping the Nolan trilogy as much as possible in order to make as much money as possible.

It doesn't come across as just Matt Reeves' or Giacchino's visions, it comes across like a little bit of their vision with the studio breathing down their neck to remind people of the Nolan trilogy, with an extra note that simply reads "not dark enough". 

I will hold off my judgements until I see the film. Giacchino has composed some rather good stuff for Matt Reeves in the past. Now that I think of it, every single one of these previous works was primarily based on quite simple repetitive thematic ideas - Cloverfield, Let Me In, two Planet of the Apes. Not exactly brimming with long-lined melodies, but clever in exploring texture and striking in dramatic application. For my money, these remain some of composer's strongest film works which explore where his actual strength (like Lost did as well). That is I wouldn't write this one off just yet.

Karol

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The Apes scores put me to sleep and I think his strongest scores have always been for children's films (I include Tomorrowland in that category).

I prefer his "quieter" scores. War of the Planet of the Apes, Inside Out, An American Pickle, etc.

I am just not a fan of his bombastic action scoring. Which is why I think I will love The Batman at lot more than others.

i hope i like it :D 

1 Can't Fight City Halloween

2 Mayoral Ducting

3 It's Raining Vengeance

4 Don't Be Voyeur with Me

5 Crossing the Feline

6 Gannika Girl

7 Moving in for the Gil

8 Funeral and Far Between

9 Collar ID

10 Escaped Crusader

11 Penguin of Guilt

12 Highway to the Anger Zone

13 World's Worst Translator

14 Riddles, Riddles Everywhere

15 Meow and You and Everyone We Know

16 For All Your Pennyworth

17 Are You a Kenzie or a Can't-zie?

18 An Im-purr-fect Murder

19 The Great Pumpkin Pie

20 Hoarding School

21 A Flood of Terrors

22 A Bat in the Rafters, Pt. 1

23 A Bat in the Rafters, Pt. 2

24 The Bat's True Calling

25 All's Well That Ends Farewell

26 The Batman 

27 The Riddler

28 Catwoman 

29 Sonata in Darkness

16 hours ago, superultramegaa said:

I liked that Batman and Catwoman clip, not the score, but the clip, but does every single costume that's not Batman's have to be so dull and overly "realistic"? If you're going to have the over the head Catwoman mask, just go full on mask. Why the ski mask with a little hint at the ears poking out? So unnecessary. Same with the Batmobile. We can't have a cool design cause that'd be cheesy, so just make it either a tank or a normal car with attachments. 

I keep re-iterating this, but the Arkham games (with Knight as the exception) just balanced the gritty with comic accurate style so much better than this movie design-wise. I'm sure the movie will be good, but something about this obnoxiously dark and gritty approach of it in practically every aspect just rubs me the wrong way. It comes across simultaneously as pretentious, and disingenuous, aping the Nolan trilogy as much as possible in order to make as much money as possible.

It doesn't come across as just Matt Reeves' or Giacchino's visions, it comes across like a little bit of their vision with the studio breathing down their neck to remind people of the Nolan trilogy, with an extra note that simply reads "not dark enough". 

I think you forgot how bad the Batman films were before the Nolan trilogy. The best Batman film in the 90s was Mask of Phantasm, which was also the darkest.

1 hour ago, Mephariel said:

I think you forgot how bad the Batman films were before the Nolan trilogy. The best Batman film in the 90s was Mask of Phantasm, which was also the darkest.

Well I agree MOTP is the best but BATMAN was cool also!

Track TIMES revealed

"

‘The Batman’ Soundtrack Album Details

The full details of the soundtrack album for Matt Reeves’ The Batman have been revealed. The album features the film’s original music composed by Academy Award winner Michael Giacchino (Up, Lost, Star Trek, Jurassic World, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, War for the Planet of the Apes). The soundtrack will be released digitally this Friday, February 25 by WaterTower Music and is now available for pre-order on Amazon.

The label has previously released three digital singles featuring Giacchino’s Batman, The Riddler and Catwoman themes. The Batman is co-written and directed by Reeves and stars Robert Pattinson, Zoë Kravitz, Paul Dano, Jeffrey Wright,  John Turturro, Peter Sarsgaard Andy Serkis, Jayme Lawson and Colin Farrell. The film will be released in theaters nationwide on March 4 by Warner Bros. Pictures. Visit the official movie website for more information.

Here’s the album track list:

1. Can’t Fight City Halloween (4:04)
2. Mayoral Ducting (2:34)
3. It’s Raining Vengeance (4:31)
4. Don’t Be Voyeur with Me (2:38)
5. Crossing the Feline (1:46)
6. Gannika Girl (2:30)
7. Moving in for the Gil (4:23)
8. Funeral and Far Between (1:45)
9. Collar ID (1:15)
10. Escaped Crusader (2:44)
11. Penguin of Guilt (3:44)
12. Highway to the Anger Zone (5:19)
13. World’s Worst Translator (3:34)
14. Riddles, Riddles Everywhere (1:54)
15. Meow and You and Everyone We Know (5:18)
16. For All Your Pennyworth (2:38)
17. Are You a Kenzie or a Can’t-zie? (5:45)
18. An Im-purr-fect Murder (3:48)
19. The Great Pumpkin Pie (2:22)
20. Hoarding School (4:55)
21. A Flood of Terrors (4:29)
22. A Bat in the Rafters, Pt. 1 (4:33)
23. A Bat in the Rafters, Pt. 2 (6:42)
24. The Bat’s True Calling (3:05)
25. All’s Well That Ends Farewell (2:41)
26. The Batman (6:47)
27. The Riddler (5:01)
28. Catwoman (3:03)
29. Sonata in Darkness (12:11)

"

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/02/24/the-batman-soundtrack-album-details/

Good to see that Giacchino's trend of making awful puns with the track titles is still intact.

8 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

They were bad DURING the Nolan trilogy too.

The only bad Batman movie Nolan has ever done is The Dark Knight Rises, which is truly terrible.

27 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Good to see that Giacchino's trend of making awful puns with the track titles is still intact.

They aren’t even recognizable as puns anymore. Lol

In any case, looking forward to giving this a full listen on Friday. 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

The only bad Batman movie Nolan has ever done is The Dark Knight Rises, which is truly terrible.

I think Batman begins is an extremely mediocre movie too and deeply uninteresting.

The dark knight is the only good movie of the bunch.

And like you said, rises is peurile trash.

53 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I liked Rises and I think Dark Knight is good but way over rated. And non of them hold a candle to The Prestige.

Prestige is the best Batman movie for sure because he gets to face off against Wolverine, Black Widow and a treacherous Alfred.

(Also its good)

36 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Begins is my favorite Batman movie ever. I like it more than TDK, to be honest, even though the 2008 movie is obviously the best of the bunch.

Oi! Didn't mean to dunk on your favorite. Sorry about that. I just didn't care for it even an iota. I just in general don't care for Nolan or Bale. 

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Begins is my favorite Batman movie ever. I like it more than TDK, to be honest, even though the 2008 movie is obviously the best of the bunch.

Mine too :) and also the best score 

37 minutes ago, superultramegaa said:

Exactly, it's the only one that competently depicts his use of stealth, and where his voice for Batman is actually interesting to listen to. It's also not even that dark of a movie, and has some fun, almost campy scenes at times. Plus I think Batman's detective work, while often only implied, feels the most purposeful and competent in that movie. It feels the most like a Batman movie, and not just a crime thriller. 

Indeed. This is why it's my favorite Batman movie, it's because, well, a Batman movie. Unlike TDK, which may be more competently done from a filmmaking point of view, but it's also deeply uninterested on Batman and Bruce Wayne as a character. I mean, it's a crime thriller starring comic book characters. Begins, on the other hand, has a lot of cool Batman moments and it's a more comic book-y feel.

Also, Begins is way funnier than TDK, which can be a little exhausting and depressing to watch.

i like the score :-) 

The batman theme is indeed played very often, which i find good though. 

My fav so far are:

1. Can’t Fight City Halloween 
3. It’s Raining Vengeance 
5. Crossing the Feline 
6. Gannika Girl 
8. Funeral and Far Between 
10. Escaped Crusader 
12. Highway to the Anger Zone 
18. An Im-purr-fect Murder -> 2:57 in your face! :D love it! 
29. Sonata in Darkness 

1 hour ago, badbu said:

i like the score :-) 

The batman theme is indeed played very often, which i find good though. 

My fav so far are:

1. Can’t Fight City Halloween 
3. It’s Raining Vengeance 
5. Crossing the Feline 
6. Gannika Girl 
8. Funeral and Far Between 
10. Escaped Crusader 
12. Highway to the Anger Zone 
18. An Im-purr-fect Murder -> 2:57 in your face! :D love it! 
29. Sonata in Darkness 

I am 15 tracks in and I felt like the whole album is just a different variations of the Batman theme. So yeah it is play often, but I am not sure if that is good thing. Because none of the other materials so far are that interesting.

Is it just me or is the first 1:30 of "Meow and You and Everyone We Know" a straight up rip of Zimmer's Bane theme? 

10 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Is it just me or is the first 1:30 of "Meow and You and Everyone We Know" a straight up rip of Zimmer's Bane theme? 

funny, i thougt the same :D 

Just finished the album.

Let's start with what I like. I think Giacchino did his best with the sad, tender cues. I really enjoy the heavy warmth of "For All Your Pennyworth" and I thought "Funeral and Far Between" is a touching, elegant theme. And maybe this is just comfort food, but I also enjoy the female vocal (yes this is way overused in today's scores) whenever it shows up because it lightens a rather dark soundscape. The opening of "Meow and You and Everyone We Know" is a straight rip of Zimmer's Bane theme, but the back end of the cue is quite nice. "An Im-purr-fect Murder" has some intrigue, and really evokes a noir, heist atmosphere. My favorites of the bunch is "The Bat's True Calling" and "All's Well That Ends Farewell." Both are great Adagios for the character. The lengthy and brilliant "Sonata in Darkness" nicely summed up the ideas in the aforementioned cues.

What I don't like...honestly, a lot of the album is not that interesting. A lot of it is a variation of the Batman theme. I mean even a cue called "Penguin of Guilt" is a variation of the Batman theme. The music throughout the album has a refined sketchbook compositional quality. Most of the cues are just repetitive stanzas of a single idea. "Hoarding School" for example is a pain to get through. I think the album has nice ideas, but the execution of those ideas are nowhere near as interesting as Giacchino thinks.

Overall, after the first listen, I rate this album 3/5 stars. I think most of the materials are 2 stars, but "Sonata in Darkness," the character suites, and the last two cues elevated my overall impression.

For someone who simply can't stand the horror/thriller genre, listening to this score sure was a very difficult and unpleasant experience -- and to think I sat through all of it, hoping to find something to like!

I suppose I should have known what I am in for from the plot synopsis, trailers, and the those two Batman and Riddler suites that dropped earlier. But alas that Catwoman tune totally fooled me into thinking I had gotten it wrong. Still glad I discovered that suite, though.

Hopefully MG's other upcoming works are more on the fun side. There is enough unpleasant vibes in the real world already.

Listening to the album one time thru, I am going to listen again to re-evaluate my impression, but right now the OST is a real slog to get thru. Gia takes a few musical ideas and really over-uses the hell out of them. I feel bludgeoned by the character themes. 

And the last track, Sonata in Darkness, has an amateur YouTube cover quality to it. It is an exceedingly simple solo piano presentation of the Batman ideas that makes me think Gia shouldn't write for solo piano. Compared to other composers who know how to write for solo piano, this track just sounds like a direct translation with no real consideration for the piano itself or what it can bring to the Batman theme. It's just The Batman theme in solo piano in the most pedestrian way. They say writing for solo piano is most difficult because a composer has nowhere to hide and I think that is exactly what happened here.

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Anybody who doesn't like Nolan's BATMAN isn't a fan of the character.

They just like to wallow in negativity and like to pretend they are part of some cultural elite.

How very tiresome they are😒

I unabeshedly am not a fan of the character. Of the most ridiculous and laughable characters in popular culture, if not the most ridiculous and laughable.

Unless it is simply not announced yet, it seems Water Tower is not releasing this on physical disc in any region.

However, the Japanese label Rambling Records is releasing it on pressed CDs there in limited quantities:

"In the home country, this work will be a regular CD press board only for the first time and will be a CDR product after that, and we will release only the regular CD press board as RBCP5683 in a limited quantity!"

http://www.rambling.ne.jp/

Here are some places you can buy the Japanese pressing:

https://arksquare.net/detail.php?cdno=RBCP-5683

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B09TF8X5XT