Michael Giacchino's THE BATMAN (2022)

Jay

On 14/03/2022 at 9:36 PM, Anthony said:

Two unreleased cues (plus the opening "source" Ave Maria) underscore the opening scene.

Can't Fight City Halloween is over the first Batman narration (when the guy in the mask holds up the convenience store) and Mayoral Ducting is when Batman and Gordon go into the Mayor's garage and discover the thumb drive.

Minor correction to this. But Mayoral Ducting is music taken from 2 scenes.

And the first part (40 seconds or so) does play during the opening scene, but after the unreleased bit you mentioned.

On 12/03/2022 at 9:58 PM, Richard Penna said:

Question for those who either remember better or have seen multiple times: did the end of the car chase have a Batman rendition when his car flies through the flames? I vaguely remember something like that in the film, and the album track ends on some dissonant statement. Could be the bit at 4:36.

The car coming out of the flames is scored with the dissonant ending from 5:07.

But there is an unreleased rendition of the Batman Theme that plays afterwards in the film. But its for Batman walking up to the Penguin.

12 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Giacchino haters is a difficult concept.... 

I don’t hate Michael Giacchino. I just find his music boring, phoned in and uninspiring. He thinks he is the new John Williams, yet he has never written a memorable theme in his life. 

Gia gets hated on here only because he isn't as good as JW. But he is a good film composer writing solid film scores in an age of soundscapes and noise as music and tone. I enjoy most of his music. No, he isn't JW-level, but that's fine. 

I think that, if in order to like the music of a composer he needs to be on JW-level, then you're just going to hear John Williams for the rest of your life.

Nothing against it, of course, but there's a world out there of great composers both alive and dead that, although not on JW's level, still provide wonderful music.

33 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I think that, if in order to like the music of a composer he needs to be on JW-level, then you're just going to hear John Williams for the rest of your life.

Nothing against it, of course, but there's a world out there of great composers both alive and dead that, although not on JW's level, still provide wonderful music.

I agree, but Giacchino is not one of them. IMHO.

2 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Gia gets hated on here only because he isn't as good as JW. But he is a good film composer writing solid film scores in an age of soundscapes and noise as music and tone. I enjoy most of his music. No, he isn't JW-level, but that's fine. 

No.

He and Zimmer get hated because they are the most popular composers working today.

Even with JW semi- retired, they can't stand the fact that he isn't on the throne.

I remember when.FSM.did their their

" Top.Forty Composers" survey.

The first time Zimmer supplanted JW at the top was like a head of state died. They were in.mourning.😗

Just got back from seeing the film. The album is hard to listen to. But wow, does this work splendidly in the film. I had two rather music theory/analytical thoughts about the score. I’m not always a Giacchino fan. I can tell when he’s inspired and when he’s just dialing it in. And I’m not sure if this was inspiration or just luck, but I find it fascinating that the two heavily used motifs, the so called 4 note “theme” and the Ave Maria, hearken back to previous composers’ contributions.

The four note theme is really just the tonic and submediant with an added rhythm. For instance D minor followed by Bb major. This is the same two chord foundation that defines Zimmer’s Nolan trilogy score. (As an aside, the climax of The Dark Knight is when we finally get the statement of the Bb chord as resolution. Zimmer toys with us all film long with false substitutions. It’s a very powerful musical tool.) Now, these two chords are even outlined in Elfman’s fanfare. The melody of that theme starts on tonic and rises up to the submediant before resolving back to a member of the tonic (D - e - f - Bb - A). So Giacchino’s 4 note theme is really just the foundation of Batman music, at its simplest and most relentless. That feels intentional. 

The Ave Maria connection is a little harder to explain. But there is a Zimmer melody played in the low strings which begins with (D - c# - d - e - F) that is eerily similar to the Ave Maria transposed to the minor key as we hear it in The Batman (D - c# - d - F). When Riddler hums Ave Maria, he adds in the very common slide note on “ri” of Maria. Add that slide note into the melody, and you get the exact same 5 note sequence as the Zimmer melody, just with a different rhythm. And that feels kinda like an accident that I’m just imagining and nobody else is ever going to come up with. But I like it just the same, and it was an instant connection when I heard the pre-release track. 

Like many of you, now I’m going to have to listen to the album again as a stand-alone experience and see about paring it down. 

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

No.

He and Zimmer get hated because they are the most popular composers working today.

Even with JW semi- retired, they can't stand the fact that he isn't on the throne.

I remember when.FSM.did their their

" Top.Forty Composers" survey.

The first time Zimmer supplanted JW at the top was like a head of state died. They were in.mourning.😗

Funny that someone writes something like this on a forum of a site dedicated to John Williams. This would make sense on a Zimmer or Giacchino fan site, not here where people who have a good taste in film music write. 
John Williams will always be the greatest, no matter how many new scores he’ll write in the future or if he retires forever. Even after he’ll be no more. I know this because I’m an admirer of his music and I’m writing on this particular site. If I thought otherwise, I would be a lifelong admirer of Zimmer or Giacchino or any other RCP composer who’s ruining modern American film music.
Williams is, has been and will be more popular than Zimmer and Giacchino will ever be combined. Another fact everyone who knows movies and film music knows. 

JTW acts like a troll, he has 6 posts, most in this thread, comes from nowhere(which fan of a certain composer joins a community just for ditching another composer...) has williams initials in his name.... 

Smells like a stefancos double accout just for laughs. 

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

JTW is a troll. Do not engage.

And you are clearly a bully who attacks those whose opinions differ from yours. Stop it. 

6 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

JTW acts like a troll, he has 6 posts, most in this thread, comes from nowhere(which fan of a certain composer joins a community just for ditching another composer...) has williams initials in his name.... 

Smells like a stefancos double accout just for laughs. 

I've been a reader of this site for more than a decade, but comments like yours and some other people's made me stay away from commenting because you bully anyone who has a different opinion than you. Maurizio was mocked by Jurassic Shark weeks ago, and The Ulyssessian was insulted in this topic by the same guy who attacked me, and you and two other people have attacked and insulted me just because I don't like Michael Giacchino. Who are you to bully and call a troll anyone? That makes YOU the troll IMHO. If you can't accept that others have a different opinion on certain subjects and you can't behave in a polite and civilized manner, you shouldn't be on this site. I never attacked neither you, nor those two people who insulted me in a personal way and called me names. This is why I and lots of other true admirers of John Williams are staying away from this forum that is dominated by a handful of people who think they are authority on everything John Williams or anything Film Music. WRONG. I'm here now and there are people like Maurizio, Jay and some other gentlemen and ladies who can politely appreciate Maestro Williams or any other Film Composer without attacking and insulting other members on this forum who have just as much right to their opinion as anyone else. 

Say what?!😗

It's like I asked somebody from the audience to come up on stage to prove my hypothesis.

And,there he is!😅

9 hours ago, JTW said:

Funny that someone writes something like this on a forum of a site dedicated to John Williams. This would make sense on a Zimmer or Giacchino fan site, not here where people who have a good taste in film music write.

That's an example of " politeness"?

Looks like an " insult" to me.

Woah, my apologies JTW. I think you have completely misinterpreted me in my sentiment towards Williams himself and his music.

And by the way, Stefancos is one of the greatest members of this community so in truth, that would be a big compliment....

I must say that, In my opinion, you make great hyperboles in your post, that completely ruin your point of view.

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I'm a fan of JW; I don't worship him as a God.

Well, I do, and I have the same opinion as he (just delete giacchino and his RCP opinion suits me 100%), so I must change my way of writing because It seems i'm delivering the completely oposite message.

28 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Say what?!😗

It's like I asked somebody from the audience to come up on stage to prove my hypothesis.

And,there he is!😅

That's an example of " politeness"?

Looks like an " insult" to me.

Show me where the insult is, Bruce. I stated facts. Or don't you agree that on this forum only people with good taste in film music write? Or that people who write on a forum and site dedicated to JOHN WILLIAMS and truly LOVE his music would NEVER write that he's not on the throne anymore? If you're not a true fan of Maestro Williams, then why are you here? To mock, attack and insult people who in fact ARE? You want to prove to me that Giacchino or Zimmer are as or more popular than John Williams? I love many film composers' work, but I would never put any of them higher than John Williams. Especially not Giacchino, who, as I said, IMHO is a mediocre composer at best. You have the right to like or defend Giacchino, and I have the right to dislike him. I accept your right, and I respect your opinion, and I have a different opinion, whether you like it or not. 

Still your disrrespective language towards Giacchino seems to exist only to make his fans spring and enter a conversational fight, which is not civilised behaviour either.

PS: this place is for JW True Fans, casual fans and people who only like some works of him alike.

25 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Still your disrrespective language towards Giacchino seems to exist only to make his fans spring and enter a conversational fight, which is not civilised behaviour either.

PS: this place is for JW True Fans, casual fans and people who only like some works of him alike.

My opinion is only disrespective to those who love his work, because they get offended by any criticism. They jumped at The Ulyssessian and others who said that they disliked his score to The Batman. Yet they have a right to dislike it without others attacking them for it. I respect your taste if you like his work, but you should respect my right to dislike it. I'm not entering any fight, I'm defending myself against bullies. Stop attacking me and I don't have to defend myself. 

You are going on circles, and what you wrote there works for your opinion too. I think I will leave this conversation here because it seems you consider replying to a conversation with no offensive language at all an attack (and quoting some text is not a personal attack either).

10 hours ago, JTW said:

John Williams will always be the greatest, no matter how many new scores he’ll write in the future or if he retires forever. Even after he’ll be no more. I know this because I’m an admirer of his music and I’m writing on this particular site. If I thought otherwise, I would be a lifelong admirer of Zimmer or Giacchino or any other RCP composer who’s ruining modern American film music.
Williams is, has been and will be more popular than Zimmer and Giacchino will ever be combined. Another fact everyone who knows movies and film music knows. 

Even on a JW forum we still extensively discuss other composers, and overwhelmingly they are positive discussions. There's simply no need to boldly declare that JW is 'the best' and 'most popular' and to suggest that another specific composer has never written a memorable theme. For people who may be fans of that composer, I'm surprised you can't appreciate how antagonistic that comes across.

20 hours ago, JTW said:

I don’t hate Michael Giacchino. I just find his music boring, phoned in and uninspiring. He thinks he is the new John Williams, yet he has never written a memorable theme in his life. 

The first half of this is your valid opinion, but why the second part? Such needless denigration of a composer whom you just don't happen to like. I'm also curious about your 'good taste' comment above, where it seems that you're suggesting that John Williams fans have good taste, but Zimmer and Gia fans don't.

It seems to me that, respectfully, you're the one having difficulty respecting those with different fandoms to yours.

2 hours ago, JTW said:

And you are clearly a bully who attacks those whose opinions differ from yours. Stop it.

You literally opened a post with this:

11 hours ago, JTW said:

I can see why there's a bit of pushback if your attitude essentially communicates that only you can use this line of thinking and no one else.

I absolutely would love to know where Giacchino has heavily alluded towards being the next JW. Is it simply because of all the franchises he "inherited" from him?

On 19/03/2022 at 3:55 PM, JTW said:

What gives you the idea that Gia sees himself as the new JW? Unless you have some quote or evidence, seems like you are making this up.

30 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

What gives you the idea that Gia sees himself as the new JW? Unless you have some quote or evidence, seems like you are making this up.

I think he got that info from Thor. 😎

😜

10 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

I write here and I know my taste is trash (because I am easy too please mostly)

Same for me. I like a lot of different scores that I know other people don't. I wouldn't call it trash if it's what you like. It's just your opinion, and if the majority don't like it, doesn't mean it's trash.

You have a right to have an opinion yourself and if that is (like me) liking scores that a lot of people don't like, that's completely valid and alright

No matter how many comments you write attacking me for disliking Giacchino, it won't change my mind about him. He IMHO is a mediocre-bad composer who hasn't yet written a really good score or a truly memorable theme that he hasn't "stolen" from another composer (like his theme to UP that he "borrowed" from Alberto Iglesias' score to Lucía y el sexo). He's desperately trying to emulate either John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith or Lalo Schifrin. He knows the craft, but he doesn't have real talent. He's a good notesmith, nothing more. And he has very good connections like Abrams, and he gets the best gigs like Spider-Man or The Batman, which make him look better than he is. I don't like Hans Zimmer, but even he is a much better composer than Giacchino. Again, IMHO. 

If you stop acting like a child and accept and respect other people's opinions then we can talk. 

This is the forum of JWFan.com. It was created in order to celebrate Maestro John Williams, the greatest film composer of all time by those who believe he is the greatest. You can like many other film composers, like I do too, but I consider Maestro Williams the best, that's why I'm here on THIS site, on THIS forum.

And I do think that if someone knows film music and has a good taste in film music they believe that Giacchino is a poor man's Williams. 

The Ulyssessian wrote down everything I think about Giacchino's score to The Batman perfectly. He was attacked for it, and now I'm attacked. No one has the right to attack ANYONE for their opinion. You don't have to agree with me or anyone else, but you need to respect my opinion, or you can't consider yourself an adult and don't have a place on a social platform. 

Ulyssessian's comments seem to me to express disappointment in the score, and lamenting that Gia can do better - in other words, still generally positive about Gia's talents.

You're right that no one should be attacking anyone else's opinions, but even on a JW forum, having a 'JW is the best, period' approach and then immediately entirely trashing another composer (with claims you cannot back up), and claiming that those with good taste would not enjoy other composers, is not the best starting point. There's simply no need for that level of negativity around those who enjoy non-JW music too.

I'm a bit less enthusiastic about JW as some - I'm a more casual fan, and to some extent I'm here for discussion of scores in general. I just stay out of threads concerning scores I'm not really interested in.

The Odyyessian was not " attacked" for his opinions but his relentless negativity.

And, he took it in.the spirit it was meant, like a man😉 He wasn't upset and doesn't need you to defend him.

23 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

838822915_giphy(2).gif

You tell him!

5 hours ago, JTW said:

If you stop acting like a child and accept and respect other people's opinions then we can talk. 

You don't have to agree with me or anyone else, but you need to respect my opinion, or you can't consider yourself an adult and don't have a place on a social platform. 

Once again, you wrote this a few posts ago:

On 20/03/2022 at 2:09 AM, JTW said:

This would make sense on a Zimmer or Giacchino fan site, not here where people who have a good taste in film music write.

How the hell is this not considered an attack if you're fully transparent about believing people having worse taste in music because they liked anyone other than JW more?

Even more baffling when you also put this in the exact same post as the first:

And I do think that if someone knows film music and has a good taste in film music they believe that Giacchino is a poor man's Williams.

Why would they think that? Rogue One is the only time where he full on tried to replicate the sound of Williams, and that mainly had to with time constraints + studio demands! Every other score of his displays a different set of sensibilities that rarely evoke JW in any form. For someone who claims to be a film music fan, that seems like a rather odd hill to die on with how wide and varied the landscape can sometimes be.

Now please, just answer why you feel Gia is trying to claim in anyway he's the rightful successor to the JW throne, or else the ice cold reception ain't gonna defrost anytime soon.

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

The Odyyessian was not " attacked" for his opinions but his relentless negativity.

And, he took it in.the spirit it was meant, like a man😉 He wasn't upset and doesn't need you to defend him.

You tell him!

Says the guy who keeps acting like a child. Btw. you just admitted the Ulyssesian WAS attacked. No one should be attacked for their opinion or anything for that matter. Period. I defend anyone who gets attacked for no reason, because I do not tolerate bullying. Again, EVERYONE has a right to their opinion, and no one has the right to insult, attack or bully others just because their opinion is different or they are "negative". Grow up and accept that your opinion is just what it is: a subjective opinion, and other people have a different opinion which is just as valid as yours whether you like it or not. 

4 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Once again, you wrote this a few posts ago:

How the hell is this not considered an attack if you're fully transparent about believing people having worse taste in music because they liked anyone other than JW more?

Even more baffling when you also put this in the exact same post as the first:

Why would they think that? Rogue One is the only time where he full on tried to replicate the sound of Williams, and that mainly had to with time constraints + studio demands! Every other score of his displays a different set of sensibilities that rarely evoke JW in any form. For someone who claims to be a film music fan, that seems like a rather odd hill to die on with how wide and varied the landscape can sometimes be.

Now please, just answer why you feel Gia is trying to claim in anyway he's the rightful successor to the JW throne, or else the ice cold reception ain't gonna defrost anytime soon.

1. Name a truly memorable, original theme by Giacchino that is hummed, or remembered by millions, like Williams' Jaws, Close Encounters, Indiana Jones, E.T., Darth Vader, Superman, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List etc. themes?

2. "or else the ice cold reception ain't gonna defrost anytime soon." - ??? I can't decide whether you're threatening me or joking, but you clearly are out of line. You see, I don't care one bit what the "reception" is like. This forum is not yours to "welcome" anyone. My or anyone else's comments are worth just as much as yours or others'. I don't care what you or anyone else think about me, because I don't care about you or anyone else. All I care about is John Williams, his work, Film Music and the comments of people who are polite and have interesting things to say about the aforementioned topics. There are thankfully more than a handful people here whose opinions are valuable, who don't bully, attack or mock those whose opinions differ from theirs. I'm here to talk with THEM, not you. So if you can't accept the fact that I dislike Michael Giacchino's work, please do me a favor and don't address me. And please keep your "threats" or whatever you meant by "or else..." to yourself. Thanks.

@JTW So...... what the hell are you doing in a Michael Giacchino thread then? There's a whole section of the forum that's strictly dedicated to everything JW, so your time is probably better spent there if that's your aim.

Also, you didn't properly address my post in the slightest. You only latched on to what you thought was a threat, which really was a cutesy way of me saying that most people here aren't too taken in by your behavior so far (which isn't helped by how much you're so desperate to claim victimhood currently). Like gee, you don't care about anyone else here and no one should bother you when they ask you to clarify seeming contradictions? Not a great recipe for being accepted in a community (which as it happens JWFan thrives on, so do keep that in mind).

My question wasn't about if Gia is this mega genius up there with the likes of JW. My question was about what exactly in his work was threatening to infringe upon Williams's legacy. Because that's your attitude about it, and you sure as hell are avoiding directly addressing it because it would involve phrasing your opinions in a way that isn't reactionary in the slightest. Plus you've still yet to explain why you're allowed to say that Gia and Zimmer fans have no taste, yet no one else can say that you're being a bit rude about it.

It would be so gosh darn easy for you to actually address the legitimate questions asked, because as is: the accusations of you being a troll don't seem so far fetched if you continue to post in a non-JW thread over him being the only composer worthy of anyone's time.

Prove me wrong for once.

(Also, for people who you claim are also bullied, Maurizio and The Ulyssessian don't seem particularly bothered about it. Wonder why.)

Man, internet arguments get boring so fast don't they? I prefer to yell my opinion from my rooftop and watch everyone come out of their houses to yell at me while I yell back. Now that's entertaining! 

Some of the quieter moments when the Batman theme is presented on piano in a slower tempo, it strangely reminds me of some of Presumed Innocent...

13 hours ago, HunterTech said:

@JTW So...... what the hell are you doing in a Michael Giacchino thread then? There's a whole section of the forum that's strictly dedicated to everything JW, so your time is probably better spent there if that's your aim.

Also, you didn't properly address my post in the slightest. You only latched on to what you thought was a threat, which really was a cutesy way of me saying that most people here aren't too taken in by your behavior so far (which isn't helped by how much you're so desperate to claim victimhood currently). Like gee, you don't care about anyone else here and no one should bother you when they ask you to clarify seeming contradictions? Not a great recipe for being accepted in a community (which as it happens JWFan thrives on, so do keep that in mind).

My question wasn't about if Gia is this mega genius up there with the likes of JW. My question was about what exactly in his work was threatening to infringe upon Williams's legacy. Because that's your attitude about it, and you sure as hell are avoiding directly addressing it because it would involve phrasing your opinions in a way that isn't reactionary in the slightest. Plus you've still yet to explain why you're allowed to say that Gia and Zimmer fans have no taste, yet no one else can say that you're being a bit rude about it.

It would be so gosh darn easy for you to actually address the legitimate questions asked, because as is: the accusations of you being a troll don't seem so far fetched if you continue to post in a non-JW thread over him being the only composer worthy of anyone's time.

Prove me wrong for once.

(Also, for people who you claim are also bullied, Maurizio and The Ulyssessian don't seem particularly bothered about it. Wonder why.)

Maurizio was in fact bothered by it and he expressed his feelings about it, but it happened weeks ago, I believe he has since gotten over it, just like The Ulyssesian did or I will. That's what intelligent people do. Or maybe they're used to it by now. I'm not and I will not. 

You on the other hand are a very pushy person who won't let go, and keep attacking me. You don't seem to understand that no matter how many times you're pushing me to answer, it won't happen. And btw. you didn't answer my question, either.

Again this: "Not a great recipe for being accepted in a community" - Don't you see how ridiculous that sounds? What makes you think that I or anyone else writing on this forum wants to be "accepted"? Are you an adult or a child? This is not elementary school where the new kid either goes by the rules or they get bullied. 

You keep threatening me as if you owned this forum - "Do keep that in mind". Or what? This kind of mob attitude shown by you and a few other members is what scares away a lot of people who would want to talk about John Williams and other composers on this forum with people who actually are able to accept other people's opinions without attacking them if they disagree with them. 

I already wrote down my opinion about Giacchino and The Ulyssesian wrote it down even better before me. You can read it if you want, I will not repeat myself, and I don't have to explain myself, not to anyone, not to you, and especially not because you demand it. If you can't accept it, and can't act like an adult, stop writing me.