Michael Giacchino's THE BATMAN (2022)

Jay

Whoops I hadn't seen your post Jay. Sorry.

There was a motif in the score that reminded me a bit of some of the villain material in TRON: Legacy, but I can't remember where it is, nor do I think they're actually that especially similar. I do think it's what opens the unreleased main on ends track.

I thought someone said the end credits opening was the ending of "Escaped Crusader" followed by the ending of "Are You A Kenzie Or A Can't-zie?" ?

Huh! I wouldn't have thought it was an edit. Mostly because I'm used to these scores having some sort of dedicated end credits track.

And yes, it is indeed that portion! A curious observation, since people had felt the Holkenborg Bat material in ZSJL as sounding a bit too villainous. Yet here I am making this particular connection, which I suppose can highlight how much newer iterations blur the line more for the kind of feel the character has compared to Elfman/Walker/Goldenthal.

I'd guess Reeves wanted the end credits to open strongly, have people leave the theater feeling a certain way that none of the suites hit on.

Of course, you'd think he could have asked Giacchino to write something specifically for the end credits, but maybe he realized he didn't have what he wanted too late?

Well as we discussed, it's just an edit of two cues that that are on the OST album, so technically it is

This is the first Giacchino film score I ever bought. I don't know what came over me! I like it! I think the gumption to repeat the same simplistic theme ad nauseum just paid off surprisingly well. It's like a gimmick that actually works. I also enjoy the overall tone and the sound world the score creates, plus the "Bruce Wayne" theme is really solid.

Yea I can't believe I didn't initially latch onto the Bruce Wayne theme, as now those are amount my favorite parts of the album!

Yea!  I actually thought about that this morning, making some kind of poll or discussion thread about those themes that only make a few appearances in a score, but are very important to the narrative story.  But then I couldn't think of other examples right away even though I know there's a bunch

I can imagine Gia composing and thinking how fans would react when they heard his approach. It heavily needs the film to understand why he did what he did.

All I know is that 10 mins into the film, I said to myself... I get it, and I like it.

I too didn't latch onto the Wayne theme to start with. Just felt like typical Gia strings to me, then I heard it on album and I got it. Very strange experience overall :P 

When I listen to the album and it shows up in Funeral and Far Between, it's just awesome.  Just what the score needs at that point

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I can imagine Gia composing and thinking how fans would react when they heard his approach. It heavily needs the film to understand why he did what he did.

But he composed it even before the film was shot...

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody have an entry-level tracklist of highlights from this album?

1. Can't Fight City Halloween
  2. The Riddler
  3. Catwoman
  4. Crossing The Feline
  5. Penguin of Guilt
  6. Highway to the Anger Zone
  7. For All Your Pennyworth
  8. A Bat In The Rafters, Part 1
  9. A Bat In The Rafters, Part 2
  10. The Batman

On 22/03/2022 at 4:03 PM, Jay said:

And nobody here should ever make people feel they can't share opinions such as that!

I just saw your comment because you didn't @ me, so apologies for only replying now. 

Thank you for stating that no one should make people feel they can't share opinions. Because that's exactly what keeps on happening here, and not just to me, but has happened e.g. to The Ulysessian in this exact thread. 

Namely that when I expressed my personal opinion (writing "IMHO", which I normally shouldn't have to), I got attacked. My negative reactions were just that, REACTIONS to those attacks. If I had not been attacked, I wouldn't've had to defend myself. If those who disagreed with my opinion, would have approached me in a polite and civilized manner, I would have reciprocated it in a similar fashion.

I have said that I do not tolerate being attacked and insulted, and I will defend myself. I believe that people should be allowed to have their personal opinion without getting attacked for it. 

Several people have said negative things about John Williams on this very forum, on a site dedicated to John Williams, with no repercussions whatsoever. If that sort of negativity is tolerated regarding Maestro John Williams, why aren't negative personal opinions about any other composer tolerated?

Again, I never attack or insult anyone for their personal opinions I disagree with, positive or negative. I only expect the same from others. I have said numerous times how much I respect the opinions of others whether I agree with them or not, and I shall continue to do so in the future. 

5 hours ago, JTW said:

Several people have said negative things about John Williams on this very forum, on a site dedicated to John Williams, with no repercussions whatsoever. If that sort of negativity is tolerated regarding Maestro John Williams, why aren't negative personal opinions about any other composer tolerated?

I already covered this in my post that you quoted one sentence from. Read the entire post for the answer to this. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I already covred this in my post that you quoted one sentence from. Read the entire post for the answer to this. 

I did read your long post and I responded to it.
Should I have quoted your entire long post? 
I hope that you read my post too that you quoted two sentences from.

You asked:

5 hours ago, JTW said:

I answered:

On 22/03/2022 at 11:03 AM, Jay said:

we are not a forum consisting of some group-think mentality that everything JW does is perfect gold, and everything every other composer does is lesser.  We are a forum full of independent people with their own independent opinions of JW and other's works, and every opinion is allowed to be shared here.

Sure, the forum started in 1999 as a forum dedicated to the works of John Williams, but of course in the 23 years since it has evolved into a full film music discussion forum where everyone can talk about any score they want.  It is not a requirement to like the music of John Williams to use our forum!

Sure, many of us do think he's the best composer ever (myself included), but that does not mean I have to look down on every other composer just because they aren't as good as him.

So yes, people are absolutely allowed to love the music of Giacchino, or even consider him the best composer ever, on this John Williams forum!  Again - all opinions are valid!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

we are not a forum consisting of some group-think mentality that everything JW does is perfect gold

I have been collecting film soundtracks since the early 90s. I have thousands of CDs from dozens of great film composers. Never did I think, nor say that everything every other composer than John Williams does is lesser. The best proof for that is my film music collection that has dozens of scores by many many other composers than John Williams. But to me John Williams is and forever will be the greatest. That is the reason I have followed jwfan.com for more than a decade. Because I wanted to know as much about my favorite composer as possible. Because I thought he was the best.

For years I read the forum and for years the behavior of several people on this forum held me back from participating. Frankly I was shocked and appalled by what I read. 

Some of the people writing on this forum have no or little respect for John Williams. They constantly mock him, make jokes about him, in general talk about him in a way that I as someone who have the deepest respect for this man, who is old enough to be my grandfather, and was already composing great music when I was born, simply couldn't believe or stomach. What some of the people sid and still say about him time and again, I simply find outrageous. 

To me John Williams is truly my biggest role model. A true inspiration. A living legend.

I'm someone whom the Maestro actually hugged. I'm someone to whom he actually wrote letters to. I cannot express in poor words how much and what he means to me, nor do I want to, that's just my own private matter. I know that there are people on this forum who understand what I'm talking about. There are people like Maurizio Caschetto who truly understand what John Williams' art means. What an inspiration he is to someone like me. A ray of light in the darkness, a beacon of hope. His music does change the lives of some of us. His sheer existence makes our lives better, more. But alas there are several people on this forum who can't or won't comprehend this. They make me sad, because they may think that they respect the Maestro, but they don't. 

When I finally decided to join this forum, I did it in a hope that there would be more people of the kind that are like me. Who truly respect and appreciate John Williams. Who would never make tasteless jokes about him, who would never mock him by writing jokes that they think are funny about his photos, his physical appearance or the clothes he wears. Who really, truly admire his work, his career, his legacy, everything he represents. What he means to people like me, whose life John Williams de facto changed. 

But when I joined this forum, I soon found that there were people here who couldn't stand that there can be opinions other than theirs, and they attacked, insulted me in a personal manner. Something I cannot tolerate. The final straw was when the moderator of this forum wrote to me a condescending, lecturing post where he deliberately misinterpreted my thoughts, and in a biased way told me that everyone was allowed to their opinion, except for those whose opinion they deem doesn't. This kind of tyrannical behavior is, in my humble opinion, the death of democracy, freedom of speech, and it's something I will never ever tolerate.

Democracy isn't when people are forbidden to discuss certain topics like an ongoing war or how feminism and tokenism destroys the art form of film music. It's the opposite. People should be allowed to discuss these things, to be negative if they want, because it's their right to question certain things, to debate certain things in a polite and respectful manner, without insulting one another.

Who, I wonder, has the nerve to decide what is right or wrong and think that they alone can decide what it is? Only tyrants. 

During the short period of time I spent on this forum I was called a troll because I expressed my opinion, I was mocked like they had a right to it, because they knew they could get away with it, and just because I was alone with my opinion, they felt entitled to believe that they are automatically right. Well, they aren't.

Some of the people on this forum are a disgrace to everything John Williams represents, because yes, I do believe that people who regularly post on this forum should be his greatest fans. Being his greatest fans and admirers naturally doesn't mean that they can't or shouldn't like other composers work, that would be insane, and I would never say something like that, never have. Ever. 

Some of the regular posters on this forum should really think through exactly what John Williams means to them, and whether they truly understand what being a fan, or how I think of myself, an admirer of Maestro John Williams means. Because in my humble opinion some of the people writing on this forum have absolutely no idea what it means. I suggest you ask Maurizio Caschetto a.k.a. TownerFan, I'm sure he would be happy to oblige. It's never too late to learn what being truly inspired by someone's life and work means. Never too late. 

I will no longer write on this forum. 

I would like to thank every single person who I had great and informative conversations with - there were innumerous thankfully -, I'm grateful for all their knowledge and enthusiasm on the subjects we covered, and for the respect and politeness they showed towards me.

I wish them the best of luck and from the bottom of my heart wish that they have many wonderful experiences enjoying and celebrating John Williams' and other great composers' music. 

I would also like to thank Ricard L. Befan for his everlasting dedication in sharing all the important details regarding the work of John Williams. His site has been the best source of information for every true admirer of the Maestro.

Keep up the good work, Ricard, and thanks so much. 

JTW

It's all good, let's go back to talking about this Batman score in this Batman thread

I'm still confused about if there is a place where you can be guaranteed to get a pressed CD instead of a CDR.

I ordered from Amazon Japan, but it's on backorder so hasn't actually shipped yet, and I could cancel it if there's a sure bet somewhere else...

Is it weird that I'm not particularly enamored with the Selina Kyle theme? It's a well composed piece that works very well in film, but it just doesn't quite come to mind like Batman and Riddler themes do. Perhaps I simply find it a bit too low key compared to other Gia love themes (being particularly fond of the one from his M:I work), but that's how I feel. Maybe I'll feel different on another listen.

I like it, but I feel like I always forget its a part of the score until I'm listening to the album, while the Batman and Riddler themes feel like they are the central core of it, if that makes any sense

I really enjoy the Cat-woman theme and it's definitively my favorite aspect of the score. Like others have said, it reminds me a bit of James Bond which is always a good thing.

I wasn't taken by it at first - actually the same applies to all of the themes in this score. I didn't like the Wayne theme to start with, and now I can hum it.

My personal playlist essentially drops two sections of score that I find a bit boring - tracks 4-7 and 17-21. It still gives me 63 minutes, which would be a reasonably satisfying album in the average case.

Although I've never really listened to the Sonata at the end.

I really don't like the Sonata track at all.  Something about it rubs me the wrong way

I don't mind segments of it being trimmed for the end credits in between the orchestral beginning and end. At 12 minutes, however, it is really feels thin and stretched....

4e474810-e8a8-4c14-9797-d1e760a5a358_text.gif

Karol

Meh, it's a bonus track. If you don't like it, don't listen to it :) 

I gave the whole set another listen the other evening (in a quiet environment) and those two 'boring' sections stuck out a little more, so I've put the whole release in my playlist. Sometimes just takes a while. The Sonata is okay - it's sort of okay to have on in the background, especially when the Wayne and Catwoman themes are a bit more familiar.

On 05/04/2022 at 1:57 PM, Jay said:

I really don't like the Sonata track at all.  Something about it rubs me the wrong way

So I guess I am the only one who really liked that track? Maybe because my minimalistic Zimmer sensibilities kicked in while listening.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the movie on HBO Max. The movie is a solid Batman film. The score is exactly as I expected from listening to the OST: a fitting score I will never listen to on it's own. The music totally works in the film, but even the two Batman themes are not pieces I will revisit the way I do some of the Elfman and Zimmer stuff. Not knocking it, just not music I would enjoy listening to on its own.

I did also watch it yesterday. It was a great batman film. Not very flashy that would make me do repeated viewings though. The score i was expecting the main theme as in the theme track all over the film…and it wasnt there that much, so good. But i found it very low in volume it did not stand out very much excepting in some parts

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

But i found it very low in volume it did not stand out very much excepting in some parts

true