Jump to content

Michael Giacchino's THE BATMAN (2022)


Jay
 Share

Recommended Posts

Another Batman? Why?

 

And... that's the Riddler? Maybe  they mixed him with Oscar from Sesame street...

 

Anyway, I guess people will have high expectations about Giacchino's score...

 

I'm not totally uninterested...

 

ea87142e7c4d443de60b366da5dbd41a.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting they continue to make Giacchino's theme a part of the marketing, and really always have. Can't think of the last time something like this happened

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Interesting they continue to make Giacchino's theme a part of the marketing, and really always have. Can't think of the last time something like this happened

I'm totally up for more of that for blockbusters, but this theme is boring as hell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just looks like a Nolan rehash. The character has been tapped out, in my opinion. Don’t really see what else you could do with it at this point.

 

Time to take it back to the Adam West days!

 

Paul Dano as The Riddler is genius casting though. Such an underrated actor. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

The character has been tapped out, in my opinion. Don’t really see what else you could do with it at this point.


I don’t think that’s the problem at all.

 

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Just looks like a Nolan rehash.


This is closer to it. Why are we having another origin story? That story has been told well already. Let’s see Batman team up. Then let’s see him lose a sidekick and slowly, painfully move on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd love a movie starring a more experienced Batman and his Bat-family. In the comics he has a lot of sidekicks, from Nightwing to his son Damian to Batgirl, Batwoman, Red Hood, Azrael... All of them interesting characters that could make a great Bat-family movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought the Nolan movies were grim, but wow, this is a whole other level. It looks like it could almost be a horror film.

 

Like a couple others here, I’m not uninterested in this one. Not holding out much hope for the score, though; Gia rarely does anything for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:


I don’t think that’s the problem at all.


This is closer to it. Why are we having another origin story? That story has been told well already. Let’s see Batman team up. Then let’s see him lose a sidekick and slowly, painfully move on.

We’ve already had Batman slowly and painfully move on from loss. I think the character needs to take a break for 10 years and then come back and do something different. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I'd love a movie starring a more experienced Batman and his Bat-family. In the comics he has a lot of sidekicks, from Nightwing to his son Damian to Batgirl, Batwoman, Red Hood, Azrael... All of them interesting characters that could make a great Bat-family movie.

Like what we got on Batman & Robin?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, danbeck said:

Like what we got on Batman & Robin?

Just because B&R failed it doesn't mean WB needs to leave the Batfamily out of the movies forever. Why not try again and this time make a good movie?

 

Otherwise, we'll just gonna have to keep watching Batman's origin story again and again and again...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Don’t really see what else you could do with it at this point.

 

You're kidding right? Obviously, we need to reboot with a new actor every 3-4 years. Or, even better, shoot the movie once and deepfake it with every possible actor. Then, we can have whatever actor we want play Batman without the need to change the story or vibe, because really...why bother? Lol

 

In all seriousness, I agree. It looks too similar to Nolan and possibly turned up even more with the darkness...which is a way to go I guess. I just find myself asking...artistically speaking (I already know the corporate answer)...why? Why're we doing another one of these? I just can't think of a good reason and I really am not feeling much excitement here about much of it.

 

It looks well shot, I suppose. And I know everyone has worked very hard to make it happen and I commend the talent and time involved, but...I don't know. Of course I could absolutely be wrong and it could be stellar, but I am finding it very difficult to be excited for this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TSMefford said:

 

You're kidding right? Obviously, we need to reboot with a new actor every 3-4 years. Or, even better, shoot the movie once and deepfake it with every possible actor. Then, we can have whatever actor we want play Batman without the need to change the story or vibe, because really...why bother? Lol

 

In all seriousness, I agree. It looks too similar to Nolan and possibly turned up even more with the darkness...which is a way to go I guess. I just find myself asking...artistically speaking (I already know the corporate answer)...why? Why're we doing another one of these? I just can't think of a good reason and I really am not feeling much excitement here about much of it.

 

It looks well shot, I suppose. And I know everyone has worked very hard to make it happen and I commend the talent and time involved, but...I don't know. Of course I could absolutely be wrong and it could be stellar, but I am finding it very difficult to be excited for this one.

 

I am going to have to disagree here. We have 25 James Bond films and most of them have the exact same plot structure. You can ask the same question: why? I feel like there is still a lot of angles with Batman that wasn't played out in the other films and this new Batman film seems like it is covering those angles. For example, I love the Nolan films, but Batman films don't have to be about city wide destruction. Batman doesn't have to be a terrorist stopper. He can just be a detective. He can just take down thugs, killers, and gangs. And it doesn't have to be a campy film either like Joel Schumacher's films. It can be a noir film. Batman: The Animated Series is probably still the best depiction of the character and some of the best episodes are the intimate ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Just looks like a Nolan rehash. The character has been tapped out, in my opinion. Don’t really see what else you could do with it at this point.

The character’s been tapped out, but the money hasn’t!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mephariel said:

I am going to have to disagree here. We have 25 James Bond films and most of them have the exact same plot structure. You can ask the same question: why?

 

I mean... having only seen two James Bond films, at social gatherings, and having never had any interest in the franchise prior... I do indeed ask that same question in relation to that, yes. Lol.

 

Do you see something significantly different present in this film (so far, considering no one has seen it) that has yet to be covered? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, A. A. Ron said:

Supposedly, this is a Batman as a detective film.

 

Like I said, I'm open to be wrong, but so far it doesn't look like it's that much different from the Nolan approach. I'm not really getting the "detective" thing here. Even in the score (since I do realize we're getting relatively off topic for this thread) it really just feels like a rehash of the Nolan films. I'm missing the detective thing here.

 

All that being said, perhaps they're amping up the more Nolan-y aspects in the Marketing to draw those people in and surprise them with something really out there and different... and I'm falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

 

Wouldn't be the first time. I'm just saying, so far, this just feels off to me and I'm not totally on board. I'm also saying I am greatly prepared to be wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Just looks like a Nolan rehash. The character has been tapped out, in my opinion. Don’t really see what else you could do with it at this point.

 

 

The only other direction you could take Batman is by embracing the more fantastical characters like Poison Ivy, Clayface and Man-Bat in the 1990s animated series. That took itself seriously without losing its sense of humor and adventure. Going back to Adam West style camp would torch the franchise, a la B&R.

 

I was underwhelmed with the trailer. Budget-wise, it looks stellar, great cast and the camerawork is beautiful. But Reeves is just going down a similar road paved by Nolan and retreaded by Snyder. 

 

I just can't get excited for it. If the reviews are good, I might check it out in the theaters.

 

15 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

 

Goldenthal's work on BF and B&R is pretty damn good.

 

I was kinda hoping he'd mention Shirley Walker's Phantasm score, but maybe he didn't want to name drop a score he worked on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m in the “not super excited for this” camp. Especially if that really is Gia’s new theme.

 

THIS teaser on the other hand did a terrific job of taking my interest from 0 to 60 with the use of Elfman’s music 😊 Shame the Batman I want to see is stuffed into another movie. Do we know who’s scoring this?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

I’m in the “not super excited for this” camp. Especially if that really is Gia’s new theme.

 

THIS teaser on the other hand did a terrific job of taking my interest from 0 to 60 with the use of Elfman’s music 😊 Shame the Batman I want to see is stuffed into another movie. Do we know who’s scoring this?

 

 

 

I believe it's Wallfisch.  People really liked his Shazam score, and while I liked what he was going for in that one it didn't connect with me really.  We'll see!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/10/2021 at 12:33 PM, Koray Savas said:

We’ve already had Batman slowly and painfully move on from loss. I think the character needs to take a break for 10 years and then come back and do something different. 

He isn't real and time and interpretation have little commonality.

 

The real problem here is Giacchino is so limited in his ability to respond adequately to this new interpretation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

The real problem here is Giacchino is so limited in his ability to respond adequately to this new interpretation.

The film and its score remain to be seen and heard. All we've heard is those few seconds presented in the trailer and the little clip on Giacchino's social media, there really isn't much to go on even with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But that doesn't change the fact that Giacchino is barely mediocre as a composer. his range is...limited is inadequate a word to describe his ability 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It'll probably be Benjamin Wallfisch, who did It and It Chapter Two for the director before.

 

It is.

 

Wallfisch isn't going to compose a new motif for Keaton's Batman, he's going to reference Elfman's. The Flash teaser utilizes Elfman's score from the 1989 Batman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, I'm kind of good on Batman interpretations. If you want the definitive version you got Kevin Conroy's version in an extensive, almost perfect animated series, along with a almost perfect video game adaptation of Batman (and is even graphically done to look semi-realistic) in Batman: Arkham Asylum - Origins (don't care about Arkham Knight). There have been 3 brilliant series of scores for Batman from Danny Elfman, Shirley Walker, and Nick Arundel & Ron Fish respectively, and if you want quality live action interpretations, I honestly think Nolan's trilogy is as close as you're ever going to get, as everything else has either sucked, or grown extremely dated with time.

 

This version honestly looks like it's going to be so dreary that even if it's good, I won't want to rewatch it, or so boring in its edginess like that Titans series. Worse, it doesn't look like it's going to bring anything new to the table. Gia's theme sounds boring so far, the tone just looks like Nolan and BvS combined, The Riddler just looks like an even shittier gritty design version of his Arkham Knight costume, the Penguin just looks like how he did in Arkham Origins and Arkham City, Batman's mask looks bad on his face, Bruce Wayne has no life in him and is just constantly depressed. What am I supposed to be hyped for? Good lord at least The Dark Knight Trilogy had a lot of fun banter to lighten things up now and then. 

 

As for the question of Robins and the Bat-family having a good live action interpretation, I couldn't care less. If you like them I understand why, but I always prefer when Batman's by himself, not endangering anyone close to him if he can help it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yea his theme is used throughout the new trailer and works really well in it

 

 

 

Looking forward to hearing the score - I feel like I have no idea what to expect even with the theme being used in marketing for the past 2 years

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea his theme is used throughout the new trailer and works really well in it

 

 

 

Looking forward to hearing the score - I feel like I have no idea what to expect even with the theme being used in marketing for the past 2 years

 

I will give them credit for one thing - even before the release of the film - Gia's Batman "theme" - let's call it that for now - has become one of the most famous and widely recognized "themes" in recent superhero memory.

 

3 things help it being already in the general consciousness - 

 

1. It's constant use in the movie's marketing

2. It being stolen almost outright from one of the famous movie themes in the history of cinema

3. It being so simple and simplistic

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

This thread is over two years old and the film still hasnt come out!😄

 

Holy shit! This comment made me go back and read the first few posts of this thread. And I came across my own post and realized how prescient I was! :eek2:

 

This is what I had written - 

 

On 18/10/2019 at 4:00 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

I think his batman theme might sound like this Krennick theme. I think that could be a good model. The batman theme is unique among superhero themes in that it should also have a note of menace in it.

 

And holy shitballs, would you know it - Krennick's theme incidentally steals the Imperial March.

 

Hear below - 

 

 

That folks 47 seconds in is literally his Batman theme.

 

One or more of these things is true - 

 

1. I can see into the future

2. Gia reads these boards

3. Gia is that predictable

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

 

I will give them credit for one thing - even before the release of the film - Gia's Batman "theme" - let's call it that for now - has become one of the most famous and widely recognized "themes" in recent superhero memory.

 

3 things help it being already in the general consciousness - 

 

1. It's constant use in the movie's marketing

2. It being stolen almost outright from one of the famous movie themes in the history of cinema

3. It being so simple and simplistic

 

 

 

Is it one of the most famous and widely recognized "themes" in recent superhero memory? I have been browsing the comments in the trailers and it seems to me most people don't even realize that is the Batman "theme." I think a lot of people think that is just trailer music.

 

If Giacchino or the marketing team wants this theme to be widely recognized, they should release a single, and not just the demo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.