Fabulin

The shots where she's hugging Rey (prominent in this trailer and the previous one) are a composite of the shot where she hugs Rey in The Force Awakens.

In terms of dialogue, I suppose its not difficult to loop pieces of whatever lines she already said in the previous entries. In The Force Awakens, they basically did just that with Alec Guinness, and he's long gone.

31 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

But I'm not talking about plot, I'm talking about premise.

The premise for this film might give away plot details they'd rather keep under wraps.

Rey must work with her sworn enemy, Kylo Ren to defeat the evil Emperor Palpatine and his army. 

Rey must work with her sworn enemy, Kylo Ren, to defeat the evil Emperor Palpatine and his army

What the reason, I should hope its not that.

Sounds dumb.

This marketing campaign certainly has been a cut 'n paste of the two that preceded it.

TFA: Chewie might get blown up!  TLJ: Leia might get blown up!  TROS: C3PO might get blown up!

Fortunately, the movies have been better than their trailers so I remain optimistic.

I think this looks pretty good.  That fleet amassing (including every type of ship imaginable, including the Ghost from Rebels) portends some sort of Avengers/Portals CHARGE moment, which could be pretty cool if done in a Star Warsy way.  Speaking of Rebels, the cavalry attack on the spaceship reminds me of the one Rebels season finale with the big space battle where the Mandalorians swarm the warships.  I like the idea of Rey and Kylo working together - either under duress/begrudgingly/actually on the same side.

I still think the Emperor returning is a lame-ass EU idea that I had previously been grateful was left behind in the Legends purge, but whatever - I’ve come to terms with it and hopefully it’s done in a way that’s meaningful and worthwhile.

Dont think I’ll watch the trailer a second time. Will probably see it in front of Frozen next month, and then nothing until the movie in December!

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Has it been revealed how they seem to have got Fisher to feature so prominently in this? Is it a simple rework of existing filmed assets or, or did they manage to successfully make contact with the Other Side and somehow shoot her new scenes within the spectral plane?

On 4/7/2017 at 6:20 PM, mrbellamy said:

On 7/27/2018 at 4:33 PM, Bespin said:

They just confirmed that Carrie Fisher will be part of Episode IX, using unseen footage from Episode VII.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced

14 hours ago, Will said:

maybe part of it was the really dark cinematography?

All the dark blue reflected in the blue logo!  Just like TLJ's red logo was reflected in Snoke's throne room and Crait's being red under the salt.

Or something.

I dunno, what ever love I had left for star wars died when Han Solo was killed.

Th Last Jedi didn’t help matters. 

I feel like I’m obligated to see this series thru and at worst we get one last Star Wars score from John Williams.

So...

Okay. Let me preface my main thoughts with ALL of this: I have never given a damn about Star Wars and never understood what all the fuss was about. My very first Star Wars film was Episode 3, because I was bored and everything else at the theater was not remotely interesting to me. I then didn't see the rest of them until MANY years later...and still didn't understand what all the fuss was about. They're fine blockbuster popcorn movies, in my opinion. I do understand the legacy for sound, music, and visual effects and how revolutionary it is for filmmaking, but from a story and character stand point, I don't find the originals particularly groundbreaking in that regard, but again...I didn't see them in my childhood so I've likely seen a lot of things influenced by Star Wars before I saw Star Wars.

Now, I watched The Force Awakens and utterly adored it. A series that never appealed to me even after I watched it felt like it was fully alive when I saw TFA. That's my own opinion. I'm aware most people who enjoy the OT and even the PT did not like TFA since it's "a rehash" of ANH. Then you get The Last Jedi, which, despite my love for TFA, I also really did not like. I found myself hating it for other reasons than the OT people though. I think TLJ is an awful sequel, specifically for Force Awakens. Many of the characters take full 180s compared to their journeys in TFA (Finn, for example, tries to run in TFA and changes by the end, finding a home in the Resistance...only to have the same story arc again in Last Jedi) .

My main point is: What do people actually even want from this franchise anymore? It seems that more of the same is a rehash and unoriginal and it seems that changing things (again, despite my agreement on the sub par quality of Last Jedi for OTHER reasons) is an insult to the franchise. People don't want the OT characters to die, but they obviously can't be around forever...I just...I don't know how people who consider themselves fans find any enjoyment out of the franchise when they don't even seem to know what they want. The fandom is remarkably toxic and confusing and I'm very glad I am not part of it.

As far as this trailer is concerned. I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm of the belief that J.J. breathed new life into this series and I hope he brings it back around. It could be bad, absolutely though. At the end of the day, to me, all of Star Wars is just another big blockbuster popcorn franchise and that's about it. It's fun. I expect it'll measure up just fine. I certainly hope it does. It could go either way at this point.

I don't know how people enjoy being a Star Wars fan if they hate more of the same and hate anything different. Reading through the internet about this has been utterly depressing. I am very disappointed in all the super negativity over 2.5 minutes of footage in an age where the trailers hardly represent their respective films. 

End of rant. I am ready to be destroyed by the internet. End me.

Now, something actually controversial for this forum specifically. I actually enjoyed the rendition during the second half of the trailer...:o

11 hours ago, Mattris said:

Luke's Theme featured prominently means that Luke is returning... in the flesh.

"No one's ever really gone."

10 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Lol no he’s not

Mattris says so!

8 hours ago, Arpy said:

Yeah, it sounds like someone other than Luke. I didn't have my headphones on so I couldn't really discern who it was.

Also couple that with the last shot ending on Rey, it seems to hint at her being a Skywalker - and perhaps the 'Rise of Skywalker' may be Rey and Kylo...

Very interesting theory.  

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Disagree.  In TFA Finn develops loyalty to Rey, not the Resistance.  In TLJ he finds a cause beyond "I wanna protect my friends."

That certainly wasn’t made very clear. Regardless it’s almost the same Arc and was done quite poorly. 

Also had an issue with Poe who seems to be highly valued or doesn’t have an issue taking orders in TFA to being someone who won’t listen even to Leia. Ridiculous. The Rey and Kyle scenes were fine though.

6 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

It's a false dichotomy, because you generalize from:

1. J.J. Abrams' & Disney story board's take on "similarity"

2. Rian Johnson's take on "variety"

Into saying that fans do and would hate anything that represents similarity or variety.

I’ll give you that. I am generalizing. But so is a lot of the fandom. I don’t see much acknowledgement (not here necessarily, but in general, online) that TFA did anything remotely good if you believe it’s a rehash. Or that TLJ did anything remotely good if you believe if was disrespectful to the rest of the series. Both movies have VERY good things about them. 

Again though. I generalize because it’s basically all I ever see. Which is why I confusingly ask: What does the fandom actually want?

I honestly don’t know.

1 hour ago, TSMefford said:

I watched The Force Awakens and utterly adored it … I'm aware most people who enjoy the OT and even the PT did not like TFA since it's "a rehash" of ANH

Don’t apologize; TFA is one of the most successful movies of all time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_records_set_by_Star_Wars:_The_Force_Awakens

I just see there was no need to reboot the expanded universe. They could have continued it. Inthe end...they have done the same shit. Han and Leia son goes to the dark side, more superweapons, Palpatine reborn, huge secret imperial armadas.... You name it.

The was no need to alienate half of the fanbase.

They just didn't want to adapt the novels, comics, whatever straight up. I guess they could have advertised it more like Marvel where it's generally accepted that they're always going to loosely borrow and remix existing stuff along with whatever million changes they make. I've never read any of the Star Wars EU things but as you say I guess that is kinda unofficially what they've ended up doing anyway?

1 hour ago, Thekthithm said:

The more money it made, the more socially acceptable it is to like it!

If that were true Phantom Menace would be a lot more highly regarded...

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I think it's the character stuff that TLJ does best!  But we'll have to agree to disagree.  As you can imagine this is about the 3,000th time this discussion is playing out and I just don't have the energy for it anymore.

I don’t disagree with you on that with certain respects. I thought Luke, Rey, Kylo we’re done fantastically. Everything with Finn, Poe, Rose, etc. all felt...wrong somehow when compared to TFA to me personally. I’m glad that you enjoyed all of that though. I just wish I did.

Trust me, I’m running low on energy with this all as well.

1 hour ago, Pellaeon said:

Don’t apologize; TFA is one of the most successful movies of all time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_records_set_by_Star_Wars:_The_Force_Awakens

Lol. 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I enjoyed that trailer, movie looks pretty damn spectacular to me. To the Sarlacc pit with the whining toxic elements of the fandom.  

I like you Sweeping Strings! Lol.

37 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I thought Luke, Rey, Kylo we’re done fantastically. Everything with Finn, Poe, Rose, etc. all felt...wrong somehow when compared to TFA to me personally.

Sounds about right, yeah.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

They just didn't want to adapt the novels, comics, whatever straight up. I guess they could have advertised it more like Marvel where it's generally accepted that they're always going to loosely borrow and remix existing stuff along with whatever million changes they make. I've never read any of the Star Wars EU things but as you say I guess that is kinda unofficially what they've ended up doing anyway?

If they have kept names and characters yes...but no. They made a "revengers" movie with ferroman, lieutenant USA, arachnid-boy, with a cameo of lou ferrignho as the Hulk.....

It's a dead horse but...the EU was at a point where they were going to retire the original cast to past the torch to he next generation leaded by Han and Leia's daughter, the proto-rey. We still don't know all that happened between rtoj and tfa and there was little exposition on the state of the galaxy and where the characters came from...so they could have still not mentioned anything about the EU at all...

15 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

What bugs me the most about this Trailer is that there is nothing even remotely interesting and enticing about it. No interesting lines, no interesting plot teases. It basically goes like: "The Force - destiny - here's C3PO for you nerds - Star Wars - just watch it"

The whole thing says this is Star Wars, so you'll watch it anyway.

This is basically exactly how I feel!

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

What bugs me the most about this Trailer is that there is nothing even remotely interesting and enticing about it. No interesting lines, no interesting plot teases. It basically goes like: "The Force - destiny - here's C3PO for you nerds - Star Wars - just watch it"

The whole thing says this is Star Wars, so you'll watch it anyway.

I didn't think it was a great trailer, but then again there are rarely any trailers that excite me or entice me anymore. So this trailer is par for the course. I don't understand what anyone wants from trailers anyway. Most of the time they are misleading and give away too much of the story.

There are some interesting shots and I like the way they composited Rey running through different scenes, making for some parallels with her journey in TFA - running away into the forest on Takodana (also with the Rebel Pilot Helmet), climbing through the downed Star Destroyer like she used to scavenge through on Jakku etc.

The prequel trailers were great! Every long while I'll watch them and try to imagine the movie I would formulate in my head, as if the films haven't come out yet.

The contrast between its own Star Wars world--using Williams music from previous films, etc.--and these films' trailers' slavish conformity to modern filmmaking trends, this giving the feel of just another tentpole--is very striking.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

which is exactly why I want to know a premise before I go into a film. 

Did we know the premise of TLJ going into it?  I don't remember knowing anything other than thinking Luke was going to train Rey.

20 minutes ago, Demodex said:

Did we know the premise of TLJ going into it?  I don't remember knowing anything other than thinking Luke was going to train Rey.

I didn’t say it was an issue unique to this film. What I will say The Last Jedi has going for it is that much of its premise was inherent to the way The Force Awakens ended. That Luke was going to have to train Rey, and reluctantly so, was all but guaranteed in The Force Awakens.

One of my first observations with TLJ was that there were too many characters. It seemed like characters would disappear for long stretches of the moment only to appear suddenly at critical moments. This happened with Leia, Snoke, Luke, all three droids and Chewbacca; plus characters who were not expected like Yoda and Phasma. It was just too much. He obviously had trouble giving all these characters due importance, so he relied on trying to engineer “fangasm moments”.

I only bring this up because that’s sort of what these trailers have been like. We now have this huge cast of characters who each get their chance to “pop up”. It’s unsatisfying as a trailer, at least.

The biggest disappointment is Rey. So much of this trilogy rests on her likability, but she seems so robotic, now. She has no relationship with any of the people around her. No glance, no touch, no spoken word gives us anything clue of anything about her except that she thinks very highly of herself. When Threepio looks at the characters and mentions his “friends,” it’s like, who??