Fabulin

On 10/19/2019 at 2:36 PM, Quintus said:

Anyone else not give a damn about this movie coming out but will probably see it anyway, almost out of some sort of stupid old legacy obligation?

I find Star Wars lore and media boring now.

This.

6 minutes ago, Romão said:

At the very least, it looks operatic enough to give JW some good opportunities to shine. Hopefully...

Exactly!  The scenario where this movie is gonzo bad but with a fantastic score is certainly not worst case for me.

I really liked C3PO's line to them, very emotional and thrilling. The marketing campaign should invest more on that.

Movies whose marketing make sure is the end of an epic saga usually break opening weekend box office records: Return of the Jedi, Return of the King (first movie to earn more than 200m worldwide on its opening weekend), Deathly Hallows Part 2 (biggest opening weekend on US and worldwide at the time), Avengers Endgame (biggest opening on US, international and worldwide, and a lot of other records)...

Not saying TROS will break Endgame's record, but... anything above TLJ's 220m domestic and 450m worldwide will shut the haters' mouth.

3 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

PROS

- love the locations (i.e. jungle planet, iceberg mainly)

- Adam Driver for the win

- that shot of Leia hugging Rey, although already seen, will always get me

- Rose, who I'm glad is getting her takes, and with Dom Monaghan in the background no less

- the Death Star ruin battle looks terrific (you can see Rey and Ren standing in the Emperor's throne room!)

- the visuals look amazing, a real step-up for Abrams methinks

- liking the costumes (I want one of those winter overcoats)

CONS

- that space battle feels way too big

- I'm really skeptical about Palpatine's involvement at this point, it feels like he's about to veto what the last two movies were setting up for in a really awkward way

- practically no mention of Hux at all in the marketing, save for one photo from Variety

- as @Disco Stu said its looking suspiciously like that Reddit leak was pretty well and correct, which is unnerving (see the moment where Rey and Kylo smash that object in the white room)

- all in all way too much for me to take in at first glance, and kind of switches tones from the material we've seen thus far to being much more Palp-centric, if that massive Stardestroyer fleet is indeed his

CONSENSUS

Gosh, I love Star Wars I really do. Unfortunately this trailer is more of a head scratcher than an excitement creator, but that's how it always is the first time around. Cannot wait for the score, and the movie is welcome too. 

Basically my thoughts too. Every word.

Good trailer. It looks like the film covers a pretty good range of locations and scenes. Hopefully enough for JW to write some pretty diverse pieces for them.

Rey & Kylo vs Palpy?

C3PO has cancer?

Riding alien horses on Death Star ruins?

4 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

the visuals look amazing, a real step-up for Abrams methinks

My thoughts exactly. At least visually interesting and thrilling this movie will be (I hope so), and with Williams' score to go with, it looks like a pretty epic movie to watch on the big screen.

Couldn't be bothered much by any of it to be honest. Will check it out to see if it's a decent ride, and definitely onboard for Williams' score, but otherwise, crazy fan theory or not...I'm just generally too franchised out to give a damn.

It's quite clear now that the Resistance and the First Order (or at least Kylo Ren) will have to team up against Palpatine, his army of born again Star Destroyers and possibly some FO factions (Hux?). 

Pity, I would've liked to have seen that First Order mole idea come to fruition via Hux. 

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Wonder what’s up with the space yaks

How is everyone breathing?

It kinda has this big action CGI film schlockiness to it that makes it seem like every other big summer popcorn flick. Some nice visuals though, and I loved seeing that puppet creature fix C3PO.

6 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

It's quite clear now that the Resistance and the First Order (or at least Kylo Ren) will have to team up against Palpatine, his army of born again Star Destroyers and possibly some FO factions (Hux?). 

Pity, I would've liked to have seen that First Order mole idea come to fruition via Hux. 

How is everyone breathing?

Looks like it's just over the surface of that ocean planet, not really in space

Yeah, kinda puts those whiny bitches in their place when they say Disney's Star Wars is a failure.

I thought the last two were shit, therefore Disney must be to blame!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

The music was terrible from start to end

As horrible as it sounds, I wonder whether it teases something from the score like in TLJ hinted at The Spark. 

Karol

Visually this is more what I was originally expecting TFA to look like. I enjoyed the (relative) restraint and grounded design of that one, JJ Abrams obviously trying to replicate aspects of 70s/80s genre filmmaking. This looks less homage-y in that way and pretty much in line with the stylistic trends of 2010s special effects/action movies. I think it’s totally hilarious that John Williams is 87 years old scoring a movie with a trailer like this. 

5 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

its looking suspiciously like that Reddit leak was pretty well and correct, which is unnerving (see the moment where Rey and Kylo smash that object in the white room)

Did the leak reveal what that object is?

5 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

practically no mention of Hux at all in the marketing, save for one photo from Variety

That's because Hux is Palpatine. Just think of it!

1 hour ago, lemoncurd said:

is that Carrie Fisher saying “always”?

Yeah, it sounds like someone other than Luke. I didn't have my headphones on so I couldn't really discern who it was.

Also couple that with the last shot ending on Rey, it seems to hint at her being a Skywalker - and perhaps the 'Rise of Skywalker' may be Rey and Kylo...

I like the visuals. The third film of a trilogy (or the ninth of an nonet) has to have the biggest scope, hence the big vistas and the climactic space battle.

But, the trailer didn’t help me understand anything about the film. Maybe it’s just me, but I like having a basic premise before I go into a film. Makes the trailer for The Last Jedi positively enlightening.

22 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I like having a basic premise before I go into a film. Makes the trailer for The Last Jedi positively enlightening.

I have no idea what the plot is supposed to be. And I don't want to know. That's it for previews for me. I'll go in to watch it at midnight on the opening night not knowing anything about the film or Williams' score. That's how I've done it with the previous two and that is how I will make it special, regardless of the quality.

Karol

21 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Far too often trailers give too much away - the whole film even. I'm glad it's not too explicit in what's going on!

But I'm not talking about plot, I'm talking about premise.

I want to know what this film is about: not the minutiae of how it is about it. I want to know what these characters will be setting out to achieve in this film: not how they actually go about achieving this and what goes wrong (or gets unveiled) along the way.

Has it been revealed how they seem to have got Fisher to feature so prominently in this? Is it a simple rework of existing filmed assets or, or did they manage to successfully make contact with the Other Side and somehow shoot her new scenes within the spectral plane?