Tell about the first time you've been to the movie theater!

Edmilson

What was your age when you watched a movie on a cinema for the first time? Who took you, your mom, your dad, both of your parents, your cool uncle/cousin or did you go by yourself? What cinema did you go? And, of course, what movie did you watch?

Well, my first movie on the cinema was Disney's Flubber, starring Robin Williams. I always thought I was 3 when I watched it, but later I discovered the movie's release date and so I found out I was 4 and a half. 

I can't remember what cinema we went, but I do remember it was both my parents that took me - years later, they told me they were preoccupied if I was going to behave at the theater, probably a concern that most parents of young kids have when they take their sons or daughters to the theater. But I guess they shouldn't be concerned, at that age, I used to spend hours watching my Snoopy VHSs (over and over again).

Also, my mom was certainly 6 or 7 months pregnant of my brother, considering the movie's release date, but I have no memory of that.

To be honest, I can't remember that much about the movie itself, just a scene on which Flubber dances on and almost destroys Robin Williams' lab, the weird robot that helps him and the final scene of the movie, on which Williams is on an airplane with his girlfriend and Flubber is flying on the outside... or was the robot?

But I do remember walking into the movie theater, fascinated. Also, I remember my parents bought me some M&Ms, and I loved it.

I haven't rewatched the movie since then (or heard Elfman's score, lol), I have other movies I liked when I was a kid, and then I grew up, uninterested on rewatching some forgotten Disney Robin Williams kid flick from the 90s, that wasn't well received even when it was released, just for nostalgic reasons. But I might try it one day.

But what about you guys? What are your memories of going to the theater for the very first time?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

I seriously can't remember.

It could very well be some Astrid Lindgren film adaptation in the early 80s; or some other kiddie flick. Like Disney or whatever.

In the late 80s, I often went to the cinema alone, during Saturday matinees, and was often the only one in the whole theatre. I watched stuff like the old Johnny Weissmüller TARZAN movies and stuff, which they screened for some reason. But obviously, by this time I was already in the last part of my childhood (before teenage years kicked in), so it doesn't quality as 'first'.

I'm always impressed by people who remember the firsts of things, even in vivid detail. I can barely remember the first time I had sex.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I was around three years old. It was not the film's original release. I don't remember which cinema it was; it probably no longer exists. My dad brought me. He had been thoroughly terrified by the wicked witch the first time he saw the film in the cinema (as a child, I hope) and was deeply disappointed to discover that I wasn't similarly traumatised by the experience.

Must have been Snow White or Bambi. I was super young and only remember that I was afraid of the Queen in Snow White and sad when Bambi's mom died.