A.I. Artificial Intelligence vs. Minority Report

Josh500

A.I. Artificial Intelligence vs. Minority Report   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which SCORE do you personally prefer?

• A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    • Minority Report
  2. 2. Which MOVIE do you personally prefer?

• A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    • Minority Report

This is also a poll I've already done several years back, but in honour of the long-awaited and anticipated Complete Minority Report from John Williams, let's do another quick survey. 

For score, I'd say Minority Report. I've come to really, really appreciate, understand, and adore this score over the past 17 years. The emotional impact of the softer cues as well as the few dissonant and somewhat hysterical, paranoid action cues are among the most powerful of JW's career! Of course it's close, because A.I. is also considered a masterpiece, but I'd give Minority Report a slight edge at this point. Meaning, at this point I personally enjoy listening to Minority Report more... The whole score is a study in "pleasurable, emotional dissonance," if you will. 

For movie, it's A.I. Artificial Intelligence. The latter part of it (David's journey and end) are incredibly well imagined and shot by Spielberg (with Kubrick's help)... 

A.I. is John Williams' greatest artistic achievement of the past two decades. No competition there, I'm afraid.

Minority Report is a better film. A lame adaptation of Philip K. Dick's story, true, but very entertaining film in its own respect. I have a bit of a soft spot for A.I. film too because it's intriguing, if somehow "misguided", attempt from Spielberg. It's nothing like anything else in his filmography. But, again, it is really flawed. Both are underappreciated.

Karol 

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Both are underappreciated.

I agree with this. 

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

A.I. is John Williams' greatest artistic achievement of the past two decades. 

Not sure I agree with this. It's great, no doubt, fantastic even, but is it really JW's greatest achievement of the past 20 years? Why exactly? What makes this so much better than, say, PS, PoA, LC, or TPM? "Monica's Theme"? Or "Abandoned in the Woods"? 

Easiest choice ever. MINORITY is a great film and score, but A.I. is one of the greatest films and scores of the 21st century (no hyperbole, this is my genuine opinion, and I've felt that way ever since I saw it in the theatres back in '01). It's also in my top 50 soundtracks of all time. So no contest, really.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

A.I. is one of the greatest films and scores of the 21st century (no hyperbole, this is my genuine opinion, and I've felt that way ever since I saw it in the theatres back in '01).

Again? Why? What makes this stand out above all others, in your opinion? Just curious. 

I watched A.I. again this week. It's a fascinating film, but I find it so disjointed and unsatisfying. It really feels like Spielberg inherited the first act from Kubrick, which raises all these interesting philosophical and ethical questions about love, simulation and the need for human connection, only for Spielberg to then get completely caught up in OMG IT'S A SCI-FI PINOCCHIO STORY and never saying anything interesting or definitive about these questions again for the rest of the film.

The score, however, is gorgeous.

It's been a while since I saw Minority Report, but I remember finding it a lot tighter and more thrilling. I'll probably revisit this soon, but for now I prefer this movie over A.I.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Again? Why? What makes this stand out above all others, in your opinion? Just curious. 

It's such a fantastic meeting point. Score-wise, it's right there at the intersection between JW's more romantic music of the 90s and the more cluster/harmony-driven music that would define his 2000s output. The John Adamsy stuff he does here is just sublime, using chords and ostinati to communicate the emotion more indirectly than in the past.

The film is likewise a meeting point between Kubrick's more cool sentiment, and Spielberg's grasp of emotional timing. Beyond the complexity of the story and philosophy itself, I love how it's all mirrored in the cinematography and production design; such a breathing, living, organic universe he creates here. 

An unheralded masterpiece (that is just now being properly heralded).

AI for score easily without question

For the films they are so different it's hard for me to compare them against each other

Minority Report is more entertaining popcorn type of flick with humor, memorable supporting characters and neato action. A.I. is weird and depressing with inconsistent acts and meanders for at least 30 minutes by the time they arrive at the twin towers.

14 hours ago, crocodile said:

All the scores you mentioned, with the exception of POA maybe, are business as usual for Williams. They're enjoyable but there's hardly anything new. With A.I., he tried to wrestle with something more abstract and the score doesn't follow the blockbuster "themes and variations" approach. It's feels bit more esoteric (pardon the pretentious word). Plus he was given a lot of space to experiment, introduce new elements into his style and treat it almost as a concert tone poem rather than just another scoring assignment. It's the last score where I can see Williams going out of his comfort zone.

It's slightly different from JW's usual output, I agree. But then, does "slightly different" and "out of the comfort zone" automatically mean it's (one of) the greatest achievements of the past few decades? I doubt it. 

It's a slightly different, esoteric score, because it's a slightly different, esoteric film. Again, I'm not trying to put down A.I., my point is just that many other JW scores from that period are at least just as good. At least, imo. 

Wow. I'm the only one who voted Minority Report for score!

Great. So be it. I don't cave to peer pressure. :P I love both scores, of course, but at the moment I just enjoy listening to Minority Report more... Except for "Abandoned in the Woods" and "The Arrival of David" I very rarely listen to A.I. these days! 

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Wow. I'm the only one who voted Minority Report for score!

No, you're not! :wave:

I voted for M.R., in both categories. My problem with A.I., is that it attempts to "humanize" machines. I'll never want, nor accept that.

That silly, half-pint "kid" was just playing-out programmes which were inside it. It doesn't feel pain, it doesn't have emotions, it has no character. Mom was right to get rid of it. Leave it at the dump; great shot in wing mirror; roll credits; "What's for supper?".

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

No, you're not! :wave:

I voted for M.R., in both categories. My problem with A.I., is that it attempts to "humanize" machines. I'll never want, nor accept that.

That silly, half-pint "kid" was just playing-out programmes which were inside it. It doesn't feel pain, it doesn't have emotions, it has no character. Mom was right to get rid of it. Leave it at the dump; great shot in wing mirror; roll credits; "What's for supper?".

You may be right about robots and machines, but what does that have to do with the score? 

Two minutes ago I was the only one to have voted MR for score. ;)

8 minutes ago, Arpy said:

It doesn't attempt to humanize machines, @Naïve Old Fart, it does it with heartbreaking results. One day humanity will have to confront it whether you like it or not!

I knew that since I saw Terminator! :D

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

It doesn't attempt to humanize machines, @Naïve Old Fart, it does it with heartbreaking results. One day humanity will have to confront it whether you like it or not!

Not sure about your first sentence. You appear to contradict yourself. One day, Humanity will confront it, and I'll be there, on the front line.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

I knew that since I saw Terminator! :D

Really? I knew that since 2001, THE FORBIN PROJECT, and DEMON SEED.

23 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Really? I knew that since 2001, THE FORBIN PROJECT, and DEMON SEED.

Well, you may be old, but I was born in 1982.

And the first Terminator came out in 1984! 😅 

43 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What a fine year, to be born, in?! 

It's just like any other year. 

It was the year E.T. came out. So in that sense, it was a fine year. 

As far as JW goes, I'd say 1977, 1993, 2002, and 2005 were standout years. If I had to pick a year to be born in, I'd choose 2002. I'd only be 17...😂 Practically your whole life ahead of you! 

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's weird to think of that Elvis was three years younger than JW.

That's the "benefit" of dying (relatively) young. You'll remain that age in people's minds.

It's actually kinda irritating to have been born in '77. So close, yet so far away. I never got to experience the STAR WARS mayhem upon release. I had to suffice with VHS tapes in the mid 80s.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

That's the "benefit" of dying (relatively) young. You'll remain that age in people's minds.

It's actually kinda irritating to have been born in '77. So close, yet so far away. I never got to experience the STAR WARS mayhem upon release. I had to suffice with VHS tapes in the mid 80s.

I was thinking the other way around - it feels like he should have been older than JW, probably because he was at his peak in the 50s.

The piece "Abandoned in the Woods" is a masterpiece! There, I said it. 

It's one of my most listened to tracks of JW's entire music library. (Way over 300 times!) 

I like the film cue well enough, but the concert version is just stunningly, mesmerisingly awesome . I get a heartache whenever I listen to it, it's just that powerful! 

• 2 months later...