Revenge of the Sith anyone else's favorite SW score?

I agree with you that this stretch of music is absolutely incredible, but to its disadvantage I find it stylistically disconnected to the music of the rest of the saga and I find the rest of the score not particulary inspired. And even that final act has some re-used or tracked music.

Still, it’s heart-breaking music.

ROTS is indeed great. JW gave it his all, under the expectation at the time that this was the last he’d have to say about the SW universe. 

It excites me to no end to think what he’s written for TROS, since he knows with certainty that this will be his final mark on the franchise. 

Revenge of the Sith is a great score but I wouldn't consider it my favourite SW score. I think a few others rank above it. But it has some of my favourite Star Wars musical moments in it, not even necessarily the most operatic and grand (there are a few of those as well) but instances where Williams does something new and interesting with old themes or writes something unexpected like the opera and the subsequent religioso Darth Plagueis discussion music (I love the cue name Palpatine's TV Set :P ) or the rhythmically groovy music for Obi Wan's hunt for Grievous.

That said I would love a truly comprehensive complete score release with the composer's original intentions restored as e.g. much of the Palpatine VS the Jedi scene (I Am the Senate) was chopped from the film (to an extent for obvious reasons as Williams was getting carried away with the musically painting the action, recreating even the lightning strike effects of Palpatine in music).

It's definitely not my favorite - that spot goes to ANH or ESB - but I do think it's a fantastic score. Lots of inventive writing here, including a lot of darker or more tragic material than we hear in the rest of the saga. It may not be my favorite, but that's mostly just a reflection of how stellar the other scores are.

Revenge of the Sith anyone else's favorite SW score?

No, far from it, but I rank it higher than both THE FORCE AWAKENS and THE LAST JEDI.

Not my favorite SW score too, but I always liked it. It has some of my favorite things JW has ever written: Anakin's Betrayal/Lament, I'm So Sorry, Palpatine's Seduction (love the suspense writing on this one), the music for the final battle and, of course, Anakin's Dark Deeds. I love the dark symphony from hell that is this track.

I really like the ROTS score, barring the Big Epic Choral Piece.  If you picked any random score from my collection and made me choose between that and ROTS to listen to, the odds are very good that I'd pick ROTS.  It doesn't hold a candle to the other exemplary Star Wars scores though.  My 10/25/19 ranking - V, I, IV, VII, VI, II, VIII, III

It's a bit hampered by the verbatim re-uses of old material in crucial scenes, and, naturally, a somewhat compromised album selection but all that's new (the Orff-ian 'Battle of the Heroes' in particular, an improvement on the too-broad 'DotF') is probably the best we could get out of it. The least sketchy of the sequels and the one i would choose for an expansion. 

I'm not at all familiar with the score beyond the soundtrack as I've only seen the movie once and don't really have a desire to see it again. It's not my favorite by a long shot, but that could change if we were to ever get a complete release of the score.

2 hours ago, pete said:

I'm not at all familiar with the score beyond the soundtrack as I've only seen the movie once and don't really have a desire to see it again. It's not my favorite by a long shot, but that could change if we were to ever get a complete release of the score.

It really could. This is a score that will benefit immensely from expansion, IMO.

54 minutes ago, Mr. Manfrenjensenden said:

Nothing touches the first 3 Star Wars scores; Star Wars, TESB and ROTJ.

Enough said.  The Last Jedi is also good though.

On 10/26/2019 at 3:59 PM, Mr. Manfrenjensenden said:

Nothing touches the first 3 Star Wars scores; Star Wars, TESB and ROTJ.

ROTS is probably the second best prequel score behind TPM. 

This.  I find myself not revisiting the prequel scores as often as the originals and The Force Awakens.  Still can't quite get into The Last Jedi, and that's coming from someone who does like the movie.  But out of the prequels, I'd still put The Phantom Menace ahead of ROTS, leaving poor AOTC in the dead last place.

• 3 months later...

Before TFA: No.

After TLJ: I don't know. I'm so confused right now. The world is a scary place.

After TROS: Yes! Revenge of the Sith is such a wonderful re-interpretation of the family and political drama of the OT. The Maestro really brought out the intense weight of the drama, the tragedy of a space Hitler rising and a family breaking into pieces. Padme's plea scene, the Star Destroyers rising scene (how much did JJ borrow from Sith???), the weird space opera scene are all great examples of a composer pouring in dense and mature emotions into the Star Wars universe.

Spoiler

ROTS, ESB and ROTJ > ANH > TPM (Sony UE IS BAD)  > AOTS >                                                         TROS >                                                                                   TLJ and TFA 

I don’t know if I’ve also lost my mind, but, I have never felt any desire to listen to the AotC or RotS soundtracks. I don’t like the movies. But then, I don’t like TPM or TLJ, either, and I do listen to their music, a bit.

With all the material that has surfaced from the games and having 98% of the score it sure has helped it a lot in my opinion. A lot of good stuff was left off the OST. Also hearing the entire cue for "It Can't Be" is awesome with the full ending unedited.

20 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I think it and AotC are the worst scores. 

A part of me does agree with you. :) 

15 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

AotC, it gets a bad rap

I don't know. I never understood that. At least it doesn't end with Binary Sunset. And starting from AOTC, Across the Stars practically dominates the rest of the saga. It's all over ROTS, Rey's Theme and Kylo's main idea quotes fragments of it and A New Home ends with it, concluding Rey's journey.