Revenge of the Sith anyone else's favorite SW score?

4 hours ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

And starting from AOTC, Across the Stars practically dominates the rest of the saga. It's all over ROTS, Rey's Theme and Kylo's main idea quotes fragments of it and A New Home ends with it, concluding Rey's journey. 

No argument that AOTC's score is underrated, but I'm not sure I follow this claim about Across the Stars being so pervasive. ATS is used quite sparingly in ROTS. If I recall correctly, it's only used in five cues: 2m4, 2m6, 2m5, 6m2, and 6m3 (six if you included an unused statement near the end of 4m6.). And of those, it's only really showcased in 2m6. 

I'm also not sure I hear it being linked to Rey or Kylo Ren's motifs either, or quoted in "A New Home." Could you elaborate? Thanks!

@Falstaft (hiatus til TROS)  I grew up with the prequels. ATS left such an impression on me that whenever I hear music from a John Williams score that has similar progressions or allusions to Dies Irae, my brain goes crazy and screams ATS. But I'll elaborate tomorrow after I get some sleep and hopefully my answer would satisfying. :)

19 hours ago, Falstaft (hiatus til TROS) said:

No argument that AOTC's score is underrated, but I'm not sure I follow this claim about Across the Stars being so pervasive. ATS is used quite sparingly in ROTS. If I recall correctly, it's only used in five cues: 2m4, 2m6, 2m5, 6m2, and 6m3 (six if you included an unused statement near the end of 4m6.). And of those, it's only really showcased in 2m6. 

I'm also not sure I hear it being linked to Rey or Kylo Ren's motifs either, or quoted in "A New Home." Could you elaborate? Thanks!

Having spent a huge chunk of my childhood shipping Anakin and Padme, I have to start by admitting that a lot the connections that I hear in ROTS aren't strictly musical. Adulthood sucks and I'm just one of those people who's trying to relive something that's gone. Music is personal and open to interpretation. Therefore, instead of giving answers, I'll only try to demonstrate whatever connection :love: I hear between Rey's Theme and Across the Stars. 

I'll also have to preface this by thanking the Maestro for writing Rey's Theme. It has successfully helped me remember and conquer/take down/beat/accept/overcome certain memories of my past. For that I'm eternally grateful.

Here's why despite the fact that it's a Disney product, I would still gladly consume it.

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 6.41.07 PM.png

May the Force be with you. :)

Perhaps that was also achieved through Williams (and everyone) believing it would be the conclusion to the saga. There's a forcefulness and inevitability to some of the finale that makes think that this was Williams pouring his heart out and saying 'This is it, this is how it all ends'. 

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

After careful deliberation I have decided that Revenge of The Sith is my least favorite of the 9 Star Wars scores.

Wow, even lower than AOTC? What are your bottom 3 out of interest?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Hmm that's a tough one.  I'll have to get back to you on that one.

AOTC is great!

Attack of Clones is severely underrated. 

Though Revenge of the Sith is your least favourite?  

a8b.gif

It's near impossible, but if I had to pick my "least" favorite score, I'd probably have to go with TFA, solely based on the music that we have.

But, I mean that's by a very microscopic margin. I love each of the scores pretty much equally.

11 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

It's near impossible, but if I had to pick my "least" favorite score, I'd probably have to go with TFA, solely based on the music that we have.

This is why it's so damn hard to rank the sequel trilogy among the other 6. We know basically everything about I through VI, but the full extent of what Williams wrote and recorded for the sequel trilogy is locked in Disney's archives. It makes it hard to judge when we don't have all the music he recorded.

Imagine if they never released deleted scenes and cues like Rey Runs never heard the light of day? Or the fragments of radically different alternates from TFA that we only heard thanks to a documentary?

Yeah, nobody's even heard 7 and 9's scores as envisioned by JW, maybe except for those in the studio but it was of course recorded out of order and everything. We only have butchered half-length reductions, small additional fragments, and whatever mess the ADD Squad shat into the audio track.