The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

In the very last spot,  Sidious says to Kylo: “I have been every voice you have ever heard inside your head,”

Saying it, we clearly hear the voices of the three Sith: Sidious, Snokes... and Vader.

I knew it from the start, the only true bad guy of the all 9 movies is Palpatine.

It’s him. He’s the most powerfull Sith who ever existed. 

Everything originated from him, we already know he created Anakin, then it seems he created Snokes... but did he created anyone else after? Why not?

These experiments seems to have been his way to reach immortality...

But what will be is ultimate error in the next movie?

Kind of crazy that we go from Snoke's origin being a big question after TFA to finding out the answer in a little clip released before TROS is even out. :lol:

As it were, given that the "leaks" appear to have much credence I think that the movie is going to be absolutely bonkers. I don't like the direction they went with it, especially in bringing Palpatine back, but I'm on board and it looks like a fun ride. I got my fun flick (TFA), I got my crown jewel (TLJ), I got what is now almost a full trilogy of fantastic output from Williams. I really don't mind what the movie brings. Looks cool, that's for sure!

I mentioned this on the Discord, but there were several people that attended the Japan press conference yesterday and allegedly one of the Lucasfilm execs claimed that many of the "leaks" we purposely leaked by Lucasfilm members, and that many of them were fake (and there were multiple versions of some of the plot points spread around). Apparently this was done to avoid having a repeat of the Avengers: Endgame plot leaking before the film came out. It's actually a pretty ingenious strategy if you think about it; if the legitimate plot leaks, it will be covered up by the large amount of false "leaks". They also said that the StarWarsLeaks Sub-Reddit was one of the major resources for Lucasfilm to spread them, so they essentially used JediPaxis (the major leaker) as a pawn. 

One thing that corroborates this is that StarWarsLeaks is not allowing anyone to post about the press conference. Anyone who tried to post about it had their posts removed without reason immediately. The Burger King debacle also seems to also be involved to some extent.

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I mentioned this on the Discord, but there were several people that attended the Japan press conference yesterday and allegedly one of the Lucasfilm execs claimed that many of the "leaks" we purposely leaked by Lucasfilm members, and that many of them were fake (and there were multiple versions of some of the plot points spread around). Apparently this was done to avoid having a repeat of the Avengers: Endgame plot leaking before the film came out. It's actually a pretty ingenious strategy if you think about it; if the legitimate plot leaks, it will be covered up by the large amount of false "leaks". They also said that the StarWarsLeaks Sub-Reddit was one of the major resources for Lucasfilm to spread them, so they essentially used JediPaxis (the major leaker) as a pawn. 

One thing that corroborates this is that StarWarsLeaks is not allowing anyone to post about the press conference. Anyone who tried to post about it had their posts removed without reason immediately. The Burger King debacle also seems to also be involved to some extent.

Hopefully this is true. I’ve read the leaks because I’ve become disengaged from Star Wars since 1999, and my reaction is “meh”. But I would love to be surprised by this film. Bring me back to my childhood please. 

I hope so too, mostly because at this point it's impossible to avoid the "leaks" that have been passed around. If they were to be true, I'd basically already know exactly what happens in the film, and I haven't even purposely looked at any of them.

They try to lure you into seeing the film, hoping still that the movie won't have the terrible plot leaked online. 

I don't buy that Lucasfilm executive for one second. 

Why would they even put out these extensive "fake" leaks in the first place? For the hell of it? 

It would have some credence if there was a leaked plot, and THEN there was a fake leaked plot in response to that. But it has always been just one leaked plot. 

Damage control by the film makers. 

Everything revealed so far supports the "fake" leak. 

31 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I suppose we will see.  You would think they would not be dumb enough to say this and be proven wrong in 7 days when it will be definitively known.  

Just now, Tom said:

I suppose we will see.  You would think they would not be dumb enough to say this be proven wrong in 7 days when it will be definitively known.  

Lucasfilm isn't exactly known for smart moves. 

So what if it turns out it was a lie? It's the final movie. They are only interested in keeping the hype as big as possible so they are guaranteed a record opening weekend. After that, it's out there anyway. 

29 minutes ago, Dixon Hill said:

I think I'll enjoy this movie and not whine like a bitch about it. 

Same just like what I did with The Last Jedi.  

Although it seems so many people on this forum that expect this movie to fail and suck like The Last jedi or even worse.  It makes me roll my eyes.  Especially when people bitch saying, "These movies ruined my childhood!"  They're just movies people good lord get over yourselves.  These movies are NOT meant to be exactly like the originals.

This has probably been brought up somewhere in the flood of discussion but didn't Blume point out years ago that Rey's theme shares a little DNA with the Emperor's?  He was on to something obviously - or is my memory way off?

These movies remind me a bit of the Back to the Future sequels. Basically unnecessary extensions of the original with a lot of self-referential humor, goofy detours, some weird tonal mismatches, plot mechanics that don’t really make any sense. A lot of other things that I don’t really give two shits about because they entertain as silly adventure/comedies with a sentimental streak, good music, fun performances, a memorable villain, dumb well-produced fun.

AFAIC the Star Wars saga is two Hollywood essentials followed by a lot of messy, variably entertaining crap. Return of the Jedi has a lot of great iconography, the prequels are 100% absurd but have become these weird fascinating anomalies, and the sequels are pretty easygoing viewing with a nostalgic, fairly convincing throwback aesthetic. I admire all of it, I don’t think most of it takes itself as seriously as the fanbase does, and whatever this movie is and whatever the franchise morphs into next, Star Wars 1-9 isn’t something that’ll be forgotten easily.

5 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Three death stars apparently.

Not one to change tactics, it seems.

Not just three, but a fleet of star destroyers equipped with Death Star technology as we'll see in this film.

20 hours ago, Jay said:

There's no need to theorize about what happens in this film, the entire plot has already leaked out. It's posted on the previous page if you haven't seen it. 

I will stake my JWFan reputation on the theory that that the 'leaks' are 100% fake.

18 hours ago, Fargo said:

If the leaks aren't real, it'll be the craziest trick JJ has ever pulled. I personally think they're real.

What a Mystery Box if there ever was one! After all, the shooting title of Episode IX was trIXie

17 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

The entire disney wars is lazy ass writing. 

Of course people should be able to enjoy the films without being attacked for it, because people enjoy terrible things all the time. All I say to those people who enjoy them is; don't defend disney wars by claiming it's 'good writing' or 'good film-making,' because those things are simply not true.

It's ironic that the people claiming "lazy ass writing" are the ones who have consumed little, if any, of the new canon material... the same canon material that proves Lucasfilm is not lazy in the slightest. In fact, this material contains irrefutable proof of their plan for the Sequel Trilogy, as well evidence of their marketing methodology with a focus on deception. (They must have learned this from a certain returning villain.)

17 hours ago, montgocloud said:

My knowledge of Star Wars is folding in on itself and I don't know what is what anymore! 

Don't loose hope. I expect TROS will present the Saga in a whole new light.

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

In the very last spot,  Sidious says to Kylo: “I have been every voice you have ever heard inside your head,”

Saying it, we clearly hear the voices of the three Sith: Sidious, Snokes... and Vader.

I knew it from the start, the only true bad guy of the all 9 movies is Palpatine.

It’s him. He’s the most powerfull Sith who ever existed. 

Everything originated from him, we already know he created Anakin, then it seems he created Snokes... but did he created anyone else after? Why not?

These experiments seems to have been his way to reach immortality...

But what will be is ultimate error in the next movie?

Where did you post on in the Forums that you 'knew from the start it was Palpatine'? It's never been established that he is "the most powerful Sith who ever existed" or that "he created Anakin". I have another Snoke theory. But I do think Palpatine created a certain 'strong female character'. "These experiments seems to have been his way to reach immortality..." Agreed.

"But what will be is ultimate error in the next movie?" Assumption and overconfidence.

6 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Three death stars apparently.

Not one to change tactics, it seems.

Old Palpy sure likes his super-weapons. We can see he even outfitted his old Star Destroyers with them!

5 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Kind of crazy that we go from Snoke's origin being a big question after TFA to finding out the answer in a little clip released before TROS is even out. :lol:

As it were, given that the "leaks" appear to have much credence I think that the movie is going to be absolutely bonkers. I don't like the direction they went with it, especially in bringing Palpatine back, but I'm on board and it looks like a fun ride. I got my fun flick (TFA), I got my crown jewel (TLJ), I got what is now almost a full trilogy of fantastic output from Williams. I really don't mind what the movie brings. Looks cool, that's for sure!

I don't think this latest clip gives us the answer to Snoke origin. But I do agree, "the movie is going to be absolutely bonkers." As Johnny Baby said, "... the ending will put you all away."

5 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I find it strange they would have openly admitted the deliberate deception tactics before the films premiere, but I believe it.

5 hours ago, Fargo said:

But I would love to be surprised by this film. Bring me back to my childhood please. 

I think you will be quite "satisfied", as JJ hopes.

5 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I hope so too, mostly because at this point it's impossible to avoid the "leaks" that have been passed around. If they were to be true, I'd basically already know exactly what happens in the film, and I haven't even purposely looked at any of them.

If you're concerned with spoilers, I advise you to stay away from this thread once I post my final theory. Don't say I didn't warn you!

4 hours ago, gkgyver said:

They try to lure you into seeing the film, hoping still that the movie won't have the terrible plot leaked online. 

I don't buy that Lucasfilm executive for one second. 

Why would they even put out these extensive "fake" leaks in the first place? For the hell of it? 

It would have some credence if there was a leaked plot, and THEN there was a fake leaked plot in response to that. But it has always been just one leaked plot. 

Damage control by the film makers. 

Everything revealed so far supports the "fake" leak. 

Lucasfilm's (fake) leaks are combination of distraction and lessening expectation. I expect the film itself to astonish... in the best way possible.

With the "revealed" films and canon material, the leaks are an embarrassment to Star Wars lore and characters. It's truly sad that so many people think they're real. Episode IX - and its aftermath - will set the record straight. Peoples' heads will spin when they realize how many steps ahead Lucasfilm was the entire time.

4 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Lucasfilm isn't exactly known for smart moves. 

So what if it turns out it was a lie? It's the final movie. They are only interested in keeping the hype as big as possible so they are guaranteed a record opening weekend. After that, it's out there anyway. 

Even if Lucasfilm had a worthy plan for the trilogy from the beginning, they are playing a risky game by forgoing short-term revenue and consumer confidence all of a big SURPRISE! at the end. Sounds like JJ to me. Bod Iger and Kathleen Kennedy clearly put their faith in him.

I think the second weekend at the worldwide box office will be higher than the first. Talk about a record!

4 hours ago, Dixon Hill said:

I think I'll enjoy this movie and not whine like a bitch about it. 

Same. I think few will complain about the film itself. Though, any people will have other issues. (More on this later.)

4 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I probably won't see it.

You probably will... after it's spoiled for you.

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

... Star Wars 1-9 isn’t something that’ll be forgotten easily.

Agreed. I expect 9 will not only dramatically alter our final assessment of the Sequel Trilogy - but our perception of the entire Saga.

35 minutes ago, Arpy said:

@Mattris The leaked plot shared earlier in this thread from the subreddit seems to align with everything we know so far and is most likely what we'll see happen. It all makes sense, once you let it sink in.

Even if the broad strokes are true, there will be a lot of context that is missing. It's like reading a Wikipedia plot summary.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if some of the leaks are inaccurate though. I doubt anybody outside the cast and crew has actually seen the script and I'd wager a lot of what we've seen is constructed from supposedly-educated guesses from marketing materials, some of which we have yet to see. There's going to be some things that they get wrong. I remember reading the TLJ leaks and TFA leaks and that was the case there.

Another case in point is that the Endgame leak sounded pretty stupid without the context the film provided itself.

I will say there is no way the plot leak is 100% false, though. Bits of it will be wrong for certain, but not all of it.

5 hours ago, Dixon Hill said:

This has probably been brought up somewhere in the flood of discussion but didn't Blume point out years ago that Rey's theme shares a little DNA with the Emperor's?  He was on to something obviously - or is my memory way off?

4 hours ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

I thought we established that Williams had no idea of any connection between Rey and Palpatine, so any similarities must be unintended. Rey's Theme shares a bit of DNA with Emperor's Theme, but so it does with the Close Encounters 5 tone motif. If I had to bet which of the two could he have had on his mind when composing that rather special theme for a character he really resonated with, I think I would choose CE3K, not Emperor's. It sounds like variations on the motif, and fits

I'm wondering if he had an inkling of the connection between Palpatine and Snoke during the scoring of TLJ, though - hence the use of the Emperor's theme as Snoke is torturing Rey for information. I know JJ Abrams was announced after the scoring was finished, but those discussions would have been taking place long before.

Or maybe he just repurposed it as a 'Dark Side' theme.

58 minutes ago, Arpy said:

@Mattris The leaked plot shared earlier in this thread from the subreddit seems to align with everything we know so far and is most likely what we'll see happen. It all makes sense, once you let it sink in.

I have let the films and canon "sink in", so the leaked plot makes no sense at all. It's a misdirect - plain and simple. Mark my words.

5 hours ago, Trent B said:

Same just like what I did with The Last Jedi.  

Although it seems so many people on this forum that expect this movie to fail and suck like The Last jedi or even worse.  It makes me roll my eyes.  Especially when people bitch saying, "These movies ruined my childhood!"  They're just movies people good lord get over yourselves.  These movies are NOT meant to be exactly like the originals.

I think you're overestimating the number of people who didn't like it versus those who did, especially on JWFan. 

Can someone post that new video where we hear the three sith (Sidious, Snoke and Vader) saying this to Kylo?

“I have been every voice you have ever heard inside your head”

1 hour ago, Gistech said:

I'm wondering if he had an inkling of the connection between Palpatine and Snoke during the scoring of TLJ, though - hence the use of the Emperor's theme as Snoke is torturing Rey

I knew some people would think that once the Emperor's return was announced. I don't think that's the case.

I don't think Williams would have bothered, even if he was in on it (which I wouldn't think he was). Besides, its not like that beat sets-up Palpatine's return in any way, so as to merit some kind of musical prefiguration of his theme.

Its just a callback, and a wink to the audience: just like how he uses the Death Star motif for that little misdirect earlier in the film.

Thanks.

We don't know the character of Monaghan yet...

Is it possible that he plays a young...

Dominic Monaghan | Quantum Break Wiki | FANDOM powered by ...'Star Wars: The Last Jedi': We May Finally Know Who ...

Blue eyes... baby's got... blue eyes....

If you really think a two-hour-and-ten minute film will (try to) conclude numerous character stories, re-establish the emperor, feature a couple of action setpieces, climax the series and yet still find time to delve into Snoke's past, I fear you're in for a dissappointment.

I still have "little" hopes that Snoke could have been Darth Plagueis... Well, his old and mutilated body... and of course controled by Sidious.

As we know, after having "lost" all his powers (lost or... anyway...), Plagueis has been "murdered" by Sidious... Well, according to the tragedy of Plagueis the wise...

But why kill someone who have "lost" all his powers?

;)

Again, I'm sure they won't delve into Snoke's background here. They'll just explain how the Emperor was always the "big bad" behind everything, without necessarily delving into what Snoke was to him or not.

It seems that Sidious have the ability to "feed" himself with the power of other Force users.

We've already saw that phenomenon.

Do you remember when his voice changes in that scene?

Image associée

Has anyone seen that new trailer/spot thing? Palapatine literally says "all those voices in your head Kylo, it was me all along." And you hear Palpy pretending to be Snoke and Vader... so Palpatine was tempting Kylo to the Dark side as a kid, not Snoke, and also.he was feeding him crap pretending to be Vader for years. 

What is this utter shite?

Just...stop.

6 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Has anyone seen that new trailer/spot thing? Palapatine literally says "all those voices in your head Kylo, it was me all along." And you hear Palpy pretending to be Snoke and Vader... so Palpatine was tempting Kylo to the Dark side as a kid, not Snoke, and also.he was feeding him crap pretending to be Vader for years. 

What is this utter shite?

Just...stop.

For me, Palpatine is saying to Kylo: I WAS SNOKE AND, BY THE WAY, I CREATED VADER. I AM THE BOSS...

MY...

SON...

(grand-grand-son in fact, if you accept the fact that Anakin is the "son" of Sidious... from a... certain... point of view!)

The opening scroll better be like:

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

STAR WARS

Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Psych! Snoke wasn't the bad guy - it was the Emperor. Now watch the movie and enjoy it you fuckers.

And remember: we're going to win this war not by fighting what we hate, but saving what we love. Kathleen out.

#KK&JJ4ever

I'm so out of the loop that I just caught up with the production problems of this film. Jesus almighty. 

No wonder the trailers don't reveal something about the plot, when they haven't even decided on a cut, and reshot until the last minute. 

Can you imagine the score edits? I wouldn't be surprised if Williams' score suffered tremendously from those issues.

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

I'm so out of the loop that I just caught up with the production problems of this film. Jesus almighty. 

No wonder the trailers don't reveal something about the plot, when they haven't even decided on a cut, and reshot until the last minute. 

Can you imagine the score edits? I wouldn't be surprised if Williams' score suffered tremendously from those issues.

Abrams claims there were more reshoots on TFA