The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

I like the idea people like Mattris have, that they believe Disney's marketing strategy for the conclusion to the whole Skywalker saga is "Let's make the whole world believe that the movie is in fact utter trash, and you shouldn't see it". 

By the way, this is the stupidest shit I've read: >Rey then shoots a torrent of lightning into the sky and disables the rest of the Sith Armada. The remaining Resistance ships finish them off. Victory ensues, and everyone cheers for Rey.

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

Abrams also claimed Cumberbatch would absolutely not be playing Khan.

Everyone always falls back on this to dispute any quote made by JJ. Yes, he said Cumberbatch was not playing Khan to avoid a spoiler. As far as I know this is the only time he's ever outright lied about something in his films. Let me know when someone comes up with literally one other example before I assume everything he says is a lie.

I believe he also said in an interview after that that he regretted lying like that (due to backlash) and wouldn't ever do it again. Instead now he just simply dodges questions like that instead of lying.

On the reshoot business, there is an important aspect to this: perhaps TFA had more than ROS but that just tells us how much of TFA was reshot.  We already know that when Ford went down they reshot just about everything having to do with Rey and Finn.  They probably reshot a bunch from the later acts as well.  Much of RoS was reshot.  I am not sure if that is an indicator of anything important, but it is a fact that there were lots of reshoots for both movies.  

Fact is that everything seen and heard so far from the actual movie corroborates the leaked stuff out there forever. 

By the way, about Rey being Palpatine's granddaughter: back when ROTS was a thing, people wondered whether Palpatine created Anakin through the force, as he is hinting at it somewhat during the opera scene.

If Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter, that means one of her parents must have been conceived by Palpatine. What if that parent is Anakin, who was conceived by Palpatine, and Rey is in fact Anakin's daughter, that he had with some woman after Padme died? 

Is it that inconceivable, that Anakin, after having lost his wife, having lost his two children, desired to make another child in secret? 

Then at least Rey taking on the Skywalker name would make sense because she actually would be a blood Skywalker. 

That would be a hell of a lot a lot better an explanation than the bullshit about her just "identifying" as a Skywalker. 

However, remember what Sidious says to Anakin:

'The power to cheat death, only one has achieved, but if we work together, I'm sure we can discover the secret.' - Darth Sidious, Revenge of the Sith

It's likely Sidious and Vader were working towards this goal.

22 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I knew some people would think that once the Emperor's return was announced. I don't think that's the case.

I don't think Williams would have bothered, even if he was in on it (which I wouldn't think he was). Besides, its not like that beat sets-up Palpatine's return in any way, so as to merit some kind of musical prefiguration of his theme.

Its just a callback, and a wink to the audience: just like how he uses the Death Star motif for that little misdirect earlier in the film.

You don't think Williams would have included The Emperor's Theme if he was aware that that scene involved the Emperor in some way? If my theory is right, then "that beat sets-up Palpatine's return" as Snoke was killed due to due to Rey and Kylo's powers.

If you think Williams used The Emperor's Theme simply as a vague "callback" or "wink", you have much to learn, Chen.

16 hours ago, Bespin said:

I still have "little" hopes that Snoke could have been Darth Plagueis... Well, his old and mutilated body... and of course controled by Sidious.

As we know, after having "lost" all his powers (lost or... anyway...), Plagueis has been "murdered" by Sidious... Well, according to the tragedy of Plagueis the wise...

But why kill someone who have "lost" all his powers?

;)

When was is established that Darth Plagueis lost his powers?

16 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Again, I'm sure they won't delve into Snoke's background here. They'll just explain how the Emperor was always the "big bad" behind everything, without necessarily delving into what Snoke was to him or not.

I presume the explanation for Snoke will be relatively brief - but acceptable.

15 hours ago, Bespin said:

It seems that Sidious have the ability to "feed" himself with the power of other Force users.

We've already saw that phenomenon.

When?

15 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Has anyone seen that new trailer/spot thing? Palapatine literally says "all those voices in your head Kylo, it was me all along." And you hear Palpy pretending to be Snoke and Vader... so Palpatine was tempting Kylo to the Dark side as a kid, not Snoke, and also.he was feeding him crap pretending to be Vader for years. 

What is this utter shite?

Just...stop.

Who says it's Palpatine?

11 hours ago, gkgyver said:

I'm so out of the loop that I just caught up with the production problems of this film. Jesus almighty. 

No wonder the trailers don't reveal something about the plot, when they haven't even decided on a cut, and reshot until the last minute. 

Can you imagine the score edits? I wouldn't be surprised if Williams' score suffered tremendously from those issues.

I can see you are "out of the loop". But I can assure you, reading 'leaks' and reports of production problems will not help you to understand anything. Believe facts only. For that you need to watch the films and consume the canon material.

10 hours ago, gkgyver said:

I like the idea people like Mattris have, that they believe Disney's marketing strategy for the conclusion to the whole Skywalker saga is "Let's make the whole world believe that the movie is in fact utter trash, and you shouldn't see it". 

If I'm right, Lucasfilm/Disney designed the Sequel Trilogy as one big troll as a lesson for people to be more discerning and logical. Rather than focus on facts and the canon material, the masses decided to focus on speculation, opinions, and surface-level assessments... to their detriment.

Everyone will see The Rise of Skywalker... or have the finale of the Star Wars Saga spoiled for them before they can make it to the cinema. Resistance is futile!

8 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I believe he also said in an interview after that that he regretted lying like that (due to backlash) and wouldn't ever do it again. Instead now he just simply dodges questions like that instead of lying.

I think that's true. JJ and the cast have been dropping tons of clues in their interviews since SWC 2019. Tons.

7 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Fact is that everything seen and heard so far from the actual movie corroborates the leaked stuff out there forever. 

Ah, but the marketing is not "the actual movie". Do you think Lucasfilm is unaware of the leaks? Certainly they could have designed the trailers and marketing to make them unlike the leaks, had that been their desire. Everything they've shown, they want you to see.

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

'The power to cheat death, only one has achieved, but if we work together, I'm sure we can discover the secret.' - Darth Sidious, Revenge of the Sith

Yes, both were attempting to achieve the power to cheat death: bringing back Padme was Anakin/Vader's obsession, and Palpatine wanted to attain immortality. It's all in the canon material.

7 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I still think JW had no idea The Emperor would be in Episode IX and simply confused Snoke with his character.

You grossly underestimate John Williams, JJ Baby, and Lucasfilm. Episode IX - and its aftermath - will set the record straight.

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

No, that’s why Sidious always had kept Plagueis « barely alive » and under control after he has lost his Powers. To hope he’ll learn one day how to cheat death like Plagueis obviously did.

I think he finally succeed, because it seems he’s returning in Episode IX!

14 minutes ago, Bespin said:

No, that’s why Sidious always had kept Plagueis « barely alive » and under control after he has lost his Powers. To hope he’ll learn one day how to cheat death like Plagueis obviously did.

I think he finally succeed, because it seems he’s returning in Episode IX!

Am I missing new canon material? Because I don't remember that in the pre-Disney Darth Plagueis novel. He outright killed Plagueis just as Obi-Wan gave Maul a waist amputation.

To me, Palpatine tempting Ben across a distance makes sense, since that's what he did to get Anakin by his side in ROTS.

"You do know, don't you, that if the Jedi destroy me, any chance of saving her will be lost."

2 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Snoke looked like the Jedi librarian.

I told you to return those fucken holocrons on time! Now I gotta go across the galaxy with my stormtroopers to get back those overdue fucking holocrons!

https://www.inverse.com/article/61716-star-wars-9-spoilers-final-trailer-sith-statues-faces-sages-dwartii

the-four-sages-of-dwartii.jpeg

are-these-the-sages-of-dwartii.jpeg

So it's probably an ancient Sith temple.

Which explains why both Vader and Palpatine would have had Wayfinders to it: the pursuit of Sith knowledge.

3 hours ago, Gistech said:

Am I missing new canon material? Because I don't remember that in the pre-Disney Darth Plagueis novel. He outright killed Plagueis just as Obi-Wan gave Maul a waist amputation.

To me, Palpatine tempting Ben across a distance makes sense, since that's what he did to get Anakin by his side in ROTS.

"You do know, don't you, that if the Jedi destroy me, any chance of saving her will be lost."

But did he really been able to "kill" Plagueis... if this one really found a way to cheat death? That's the question I ask.

Just now, Bespin said:

But did he really been able to "kill" Plagueis... if this one really found a way to cheat death? That's the question I ask.

I mean, he did cheat death in the EU without having to keep Plagueis alive too, though there it was through essence transfer into clone bodies. It wasn't a method Plagueis would have gone after, according to the novel. Plagueis had, right up to the point of his death, only been able to prolong and 'create' life in others. He hadn't yet attempted to apply that to himself.

Revenge of the Sith suggests that Palpatine did not know the secret himself for sure, but there is the distinct possibility that he might have discovered where to look for the answer outside of the knowledge that died with Plagueis. According to more recent novels and shows, Palpatine was always interested in something with a strong Dark Side pull from the Unknown Regions (hence why he took in Thrawn), and Palpatine was very much aware of the World Between Worlds, and there is the possibility he was able to send his 'future' self to a different place.

That's without acknowledging that we don't know the context in which Palpatine has survived (yet) - even the leaks have been ambiguous on that front on whether he's in a clone body, whether he's inhabiting his original body - either living or deceased - or any other way.

Anyway if the movie don't answer this part of the Story between Sidious, Plagueis and Snoke, and the creation of Anakin too, I'll be forever disapointed.

How the "Skywalker" saga can be totally closed, if we don't really know how ANAKIN appeared in the story?

@Bespin According to Qui Gon there was a prophecy concerning a Jedi who would bring balance to the Force who he believed was Anakin. It's funny to mention that there really wasn't any indication at the time of TPM that the Force was unbalanced at all until the arrival of Maul and Sidious (based on the films alone).

Fast forward to Revenge of the Sith and Yoda suggests the prophecy may have been 'misread' when Obi-Wan asks him if Anakin was the chosen one. We never, as far as I know, hear where the prophecy came from, why it was made and who said it first, because it doesn't seem like any prophecy came to pass either way. Did Anakin bring balance to the Force by killing hundreds of Jedi and then kill Palpatine (who as it turns out survives!)? 

The prophecy seems more like a device Lucas used to instill Anakin's character with fate than a meaningful answer to his origins. Shmi Skywalker says it was a virgin birth so we have the precedent set that the Force can will children into existence, which if true would give credence to the supposed leak of Rey and Kylo being children of the Force, created by Palpatine...

All this to say that Anakin may or may not have been created at all for any reason in particular, but perhaps just part of a larger story, like a piece on a board. Ultimately it doesn't matter because the story is what's important, the characters and their struggles. Maybe it will be answered in TRoS? If not I won't be disappointed.

I just saw the final spot where Palpatine says « This is the final word in the story of Skywalker. »

Which one?

:banghead:

In the old movies the only one Palpatine referred as « Skywalker » was Luke. I think he never called Anakin a Skywalker, no?

Just now, Bespin said:

I just saw the final spot where Palpatine says « This is the final word in the story of Skywalker. »

Which one?

In the old movies the only one Palpatine referred as « Skywalker » was Luke. I think he never called Anakin a Skywalker, no?

He's been involved in 'the story of Skywalker' from the off, so it's likely referring to the family as a whole.

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

All this to say that Anakin may or may not have been created at all for any reason in particular, but perhaps just part of a larger story, like a piece on a board. Ultimately it doesn't matter because the story is what's important, the characters and their struggles. Maybe it will be answered in TRoS? If not I won't be disappointed.

You won't be disappointed if a reason for Anakin's existence - and his place in the overall story - isn't provided in TRoS? I will!

29 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Which one?

:banghead:

In TESB, he does actually refer to Anakin as such: "The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi."

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

@Bespin According to Qui Gon there was a prophecy concerning a Jedi who would bring balance to the Force who he believed was Anakin. It's funny to mention that there really wasn't any indication at the time of TPM that the Force was unbalanced at all until the arrival of Maul and Sidious (based on the films alone).

Fast forward to Revenge of the Sith and Yoda suggests the prophecy may have been 'misread' when Obi-Wan asks him if Anakin was the chosen one. We never, as far as I know, hear where the prophecy came from, why it was made and who said it first, because it doesn't seem like any prophecy came to pass either way. Did Anakin bring balance to the Force by killing hundreds of Jedi and then kill Palpatine (who as it turns out survives!)? 

Wow. It's blowing my mind just how many people seem to be ignorant on this subject. Never came to pass either way??? Anakin destroyed the Sith in ROTJ; that was the fulfillment of the prophecy... George meant it so that if you watch I-VI, you would think: "Hm, the Jedi seem to sense darkness in Anakin. Seems like they wonder if maybe he won't be the one to fulfill the prophecy after all?" *Fast-forward to ROTJ* "Whoa! Vader just turned back to the light side and destroyed the Sith! I guess the prophecy was right all along!"

You were supposed to be able to understand this on your own just from viewing the saga... But for the incessant doubters, George used his involvement in THE CLONE WARS show to further clarify that Anakin is in fact the Chosen One, with the Mortis arc: in which the living embodiment of the Force straight-up says that Anakin is the Chosen One.

The fact that we are now getting articles written by corporate shills wondering if Kylo or Rey is the actual Chosen One, is ridiculous. When will people accept that Anakin is the Chosen One, and stop trying to shoehorn others into that role? At this point, it seems like Disney is trying to steal it from Anakin and hand that title to one of their new characters. It shows a complete lack of respect for Lucas' intentions.

Re: 'Anakin's sacrifice is pointless', I point you to Dark Empire and every single proceeding storyline that has Sith over 100 years past Palpatine's time. Don't remember the complaints then.

34 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

If its not a movie, it doesn't count.

Try telling that to everybody who wants Legends 'recanonized', as if Lucas wasn't prepared to trample all over that if he had done these films himself.

Re: fandom: I don't consider myself a fandom member but I do consider myself a fan. Fandom has become a very poisonous thing as of late. Personally, I don't get the Reylos, particularly the 'rabid' ones who seem to want Rey and Kylo to 'rent a room and get it over with, marry and have kids' or whatever, or the people saying Anakin wasn't the Chosen One (my personal belief is that the Chosen One might be a cyclical thing and Anakin fulfilled his cycle). Even outside TCW, in the new canon, Anakin has been confirmed to be the Chosen One. But then again, sites like screenrant have been putting out shit clickbait articles for some time, so why do we expect anything less from them?

I don't feel that these films have 'disrespected' me at all. Without them, I would not be a Star Wars fan right now, because at the start of the decade I had a complete disinterest in it after years of being a fan but becoming disenfranchised with what I saw as stagnation. It was that bad that the Disney buyout and the subsequent announcement of the Sequel Trilogy elicited a 'meh' from me.

What a place to debut it :lol:

There was also new potential Palpatine dialogue in there (I say 'potential'because it could just be for the Fortnite event and not from the film)

2 hours ago, Gistech said:

Re: 'Anakin's sacrifice is pointless', I point you to Dark Empire and every single proceeding storyline that has Sith over 100 years past Palpatine's time. Don't remember the complaints then.

That was the whole reason many of us who were okay with Disney de-canonizing the EU, were okay with it. I never liked that stuff. Now they're bringing back the worst elements of it...

1 hour ago, Jay said:

New clip

Starts at 1:04 in "Fleeing from Kimiji" [sic].

@Tydirium No, Anakin didn't destroy the Sith, he became one and didn't even kill Palpatine as it happens. 

I don't care if some Clone Wars character calls Anakin 'The Chosen One' because the prophecy is never fulfilled. If it was indeed a prophecy that was misread, then perhaps 'The Chosen One' is Rey or Kylo and perhaps TRoS will pick up on this.

6 hours ago, Tydirium said:

In TESB, he does actually refer to Anakin as such: "The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi."

Wow. It's blowing my mind just how many people seem to be ignorant on this subject. Never came to pass either way??? Anakin destroyed the Sith in ROTJ; that was the fulfillment of the prophecy... George meant it so that if you watch I-VI, you would think: "Hm, the Jedi seem to sense darkness in Anakin. Seems like they wonder if maybe he won't be the one to fulfill the prophecy after all?" *Fast-forward to ROTJ* "Whoa! Vader just turned back to the light side and destroyed the Sith! I guess the prophecy was right all along!"

You were supposed to be able to understand this on your own just from viewing the saga... But for the incessant doubters, George used his involvement in THE CLONE WARS show to further clarify that Anakin is in fact the Chosen One, with the Mortis arc: in which the living embodiment of the Force straight-up says that Anakin is the Chosen One.

The fact that we are now getting articles written by corporate shills wondering if Kylo or Rey is the actual Chosen One, is ridiculous. When will people accept that Anakin is the Chosen One, and stop trying to shoehorn others into that role? At this point, it seems like Disney is trying to steal it from Anakin and hand that title to one of their new characters. It shows a complete lack of respect for Lucas' intentions.

'You were all supposed to pick up on this'. How condescending. As if we should devote our lives to fallible, flawed children's films and absorb every show, book or game with these details...

22 minutes ago, Arpy said:

@Tydirium No, Anakin didn't destroy the Sith, he became one and didn't even kill Palpatine as it happens. 

I don't care if some Clone Wars character calls Anakin 'The Chosen One' because the prophecy is never fulfilled. If it was indeed a prophecy that was misread, then perhaps 'The Chosen One' is Rey or Kylo and perhaps TRoS will pick up on this.

'You were all supposed to pick up on this'. How condescending. As if we should devote our lives to fallible, flawed children's films and absorb every show, book or game with these details...

He destroyed the Sith in ROTJ after he was redeemed and became Anakin Skywalker again... And THE CLONE WARS is just as canon as the films; not to mention George Lucas worked on the show in-depth with Dave Filoni. George wanted that Mortis arc to stand as concrete canon proof that Anakin is indeed the Chosen One, because a bunch of people kept questioning it even though he thought that it was pretty clear in ROTJ (Anakin's redemption) that Yoda had been wrong in ROTS—and that Anakin was the Chosen One. So, he clarified it in the show, and yet you and others are sitting here in 2019 still trying to act like Anakin can't be? I honestly don't get it. What is it that people have against this character, so much, that they can't handle for him to just... be the Chosen One after all? Lol

Never said you should devote your lives to children's films; just that you should watch the films and pay attention... If you watch I-VI, you see that the big payoff is that Anakin does wind up fulfilling the prophecy, in ROTJ. This is obvious from watching them in order; never said you had to devote your lives or explore the lore in-depth to come to this conclusion. But my point is, even if you didn't pick up on it, George has said as much on other occasions: Anakin is the Chosen One. The prophecy was not misread. But my gosh, why must everything be deconstructed nowadays? Why can't Anakin just stay the Chosen One...? It seems like there are people hellbent on undoing everything that people enjoy or value, from the past. Disney promised to respect George's characters, intentions for the story and the canon. If they aren't doing that after all, why shouldn't fans feel upset at that?

It's extremely weird to me that these days there are people openly advocating for Disney to just not adhere to the canon/lore... SW has a very extensive, rich canon and a Story Group to help see to it that the canon remains consistent. So how are people like you saying that they should just disregard it, and cheaply hand Anakin's victory to a new Disney character? I don't get it. I mean really, imagine if I just picked some random fandom, and started advocating that the franchise makers ought to start pandering to people like me, who don't give a crap about that fandom's past lore. Do you think the longtime fans who consume all the franchise media, would be happy with that?

There are people who do view SW as their #1 hobby and who read all the comics and books (heck, even I don't), and who spend countless hours editing Wookieepedia pages. They are the core fans, and the franchise would do well not to cast them aside like they don't matter. It is not difficult to live up to the promise of respecting George's vision for SW, and yet Disney appears to be actively trashing it. I frankly don't give a crap what people like you think about SW, when your thoughts primarily involve you wanting Disney to stop caring about fans like myself.

No, you're not seeing it @Tydirium I'm saying the prophecy is bullshit. It didn't come to fruition. The sith weren't destroyed.

This is how messed up the prophecy is: two Sith existed in the universe at the time, no unbalance or unrest was spoken of. Anakin joins the dark side after being manipulated by Palpatine and kills hundreds of Jedi - effectively ruining the balance of the Force. Not only is the Jedi Order in ruins, but the Galaxy is thrown into a civil war causing further unrest, countless lives lost etc. 

Even if the saga ended at RotJ, it would be a shit prophecy anyway - because you can't have a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's an oxymoron, a joke, a lie. Which is why I've never put much stock in it. 

5 hours ago, Tydirium said:

As a lifelong fan, I never thought I'd say this, but I'm just about at my breaking point with this franchise. What on Earth happened to the fans over the last 4 years???

00u9zz013n441.jpg

Disney.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

No, you're not seeing it @Tydirium I'm saying the prophecy is bullshit. It didn't come to fruition. The sith weren't destroyed.

This is how messed up the prophecy is: two Sith existed in the universe at the time, no unbalance or unrest was spoken of. Anakin joins the dark side after being manipulated by Palpatine and kills hundreds of Jedi - effectively ruining the balance of the Force. Not only is the Jedi Order in ruins, but the Galaxy is thrown into a civil war causing further unrest, countless lives lost etc. 

Even if the saga ended at RotJ, it would be a shit prophecy anyway - because you can't have a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's an oxymoron, a joke, a lie. Which is why I've never put much stock in it.

Yeah, it’s an in-universe prophecy, too, there is no omniscient author telling us the prophecy is actually destiny. It is a dramatic device in the tragedy of the PT, which just exists to motivate the characters, mostly towards their own doom.

10 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Do you think Rey will win in this movie?

She’ll not just destroy all the Sith armada with one one finger, but she’ll also win a family name.