The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

5 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Disney should de-canonize their atrocious trilogy. 

I read that as 'decriminalize' and was like, what?!? 

Criminalize these movies, quarantine all film reels and theatres, silence all projectionists!

7 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Not a film, doesn't count. 

I hope you thought that attempted rebuttal through before writing it, and it wasn't just a 'sequels bad' knee-jerk. ROTFLMAO

EDIT: because that doesn't work in the context of Harry Potter. I'll give you a mo to figure out why.

1 minute ago, gkgyver said:

And gender biased. And possibly racist. 

I can smell the YouTube videos now: JK ROWLING RUINED HARRY POTTER AND MY CHILDHOOD AND MY FUTURE KID'S CHILDHOOD RAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!!1!

5 minutes ago, Gistech said:

I hope you thought that attempted rebuttal through before writing it, and it wasn't just a 'sequels bad' knee-jerk. ROTFLMAO

EDIT: because that doesn't work in the context of Harry Potter. I'll give you a mo to figure out why.

When it comes to continuing a narrative outside of a film series, like in accompanying musicals, plays, novels, comic books, animated and non animated tv shows, etc, that happen after a film series is finished, I don't give a damn. If it isn't part of the film series, it doesn't matter to me. Destroying Luke's character in a book wouldn't have mattered to me and 99% of the movie going audience. Destroy him in a direct sequel, using the original actor, and you're damn right it matters.

Just now, Þekþiþm said:

Not if you just ignore the newer entries.

That's exactly what I'm now doing after experiencing this sequel trilogy. They made me not care about anything Star Wars now. I don't care what they do with Palapatine or Lando etc, I'm just going to have a good laugh at how terrible Rise of Skywalker will be. I'm not paying to see it though.

7 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

When it comes to continuing a narrative outside of a film series, like in accompanying musicals, plays, novels, comic books, animated and non animated tv shows, etc, that happen after a film series is finished, I don't give a damn. If it isn't part of the film series, it doesn't matter to me. Destroying Luke's character in a book wouldn't have mattered to me and 99% of the movie going audience. Destroy him in a direct sequel, using the original actor, and you're damn right it matters.

Ergo, you did not think your statement through. It's a different situation. Harry Potter may have a film series, but it did not start out as such .Your statement literally said 'the books don't matter'. It's the films that do not matter in the context of Harry Potter.

On top of that, you are more than free to ignore The Cursed Child if you want. Or the films. You lose nothing by doing so.

3 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

That's exactly what I'm now doing after experiencing this sequel trilogy. They made me not care about anything Star Wars now. I don't care what they do with Palapatine or Lando etc, I'm just going to have a good laugh at how terrible Rise of Skywalker will be. I'm not paying to see it though.

You're not ignoring it, though. You're complaining about it. As is your right, of course, but it does come across as a tad hypocritical to say 'I don't care about Star Wars, I'm ignoring it' and then complain about it, which then makes it seem that you do care on some level, enough to say you'll be laughing at it. It's a contradiction that baffles me.

You know what I did when I stopped caring about Star Wars in the early 2010s? I moved on. I found other things to enjoy.

(Ironically, the reverse has happened for me personally: the buyout made me go 'meh' but these films reignited my caring.)

4 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Ergo, you did not think your statement through. It's a different situation. Harry Potter may have a film series, but it did not start out as such .Your statement literally said 'the books don't matter'. It's the films that do not matter in the context of Harry Potter.

On top of that, you are more than free to ignore The Cursed Child if you want. Or the films. You lose nothing by doing so.

Yes I did think it through. I said AFTER. I haven't read the HP books. I don't care about books. I like films. If JK wrote more HP books and destroyed her main trio characters and ressurected Voldemort etc, and it was made into more films, using all the original actors, then I would care. 

Btw, I don't even know what the cursed child actually is. Not a clue what happens in it. Don't care.

Just now, leeallen01 said:

Yes I did think it through. I said AFTER. I haven't read the HP books. I don't care about books. I like films. If JK wrote more HP books and destroyed her main trio characters and ressurected Voldemort etc, using all the original actors, then I would care. 

You said the books didn't matter. The films aren't canon, the books are.

'The books don't matter' has a different meaning to 'I don't care about them'.

1 minute ago, Gistech said:

You said the books didn't matter. The films aren't canon, the books are.

'The books don't matter' has a different meaning to 'I don't care about them'.

The books don't matter...to me. Of course they matter. Just not to me.

I literally said this: 

13 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

When it comes to continuing a narrative outside of a film series, like in accompanying musicals, plays, novels, comic books, animated and non animated tv shows, etc, that happen after a film series is finished, I don't give a damn. If it isn't part of the film series, it doesn't matter to me.

My favourite thing about Disney Star Wars is their desperate attempt to convince the world that they had a grand plan.

A few months back, J.J. said that The Emperor was always intended as the big evil of this trilogy, and then Ian McDiarmid said recently that J.J called him during production of the Rise of Skywalker, and said they're thinking of bring the Emperor back and would he be interested. 

Man, this whole thing is a brilliant joke.

39 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

My favourite thing about Disney Star Wars is their desperate attempt to convince the world that they had a grand plan.

A few months back, J.J. said that The Emperor was always intended as the big evil of this trilogy, and then Ian McDiarmid said recently that J.J called him during production of the Rise of Skywalker, and said they're thinking of bring the Emperor back and would he be interested. 

Man, this whole thing is a brilliant joke.

The joke's on you for thinking Lucasfilm didn't have a grand plan for the Sequel Trilogy. McDiarmid said he was contacted a year before production began, which would have been mid-late 2017. Lucasfilm were under no obligation to contact McDiarmid with any concrete information before then. It is a fact that Palpatine references are prevalent within the canon material, even the early stuff.

Snoke came from nowhere and could never be the villain to end the Saga.

My advice is to become informed of the of the situation before taking the time to speak further on this matter. Your incessant negativity just comes across as desperation to discredit when you really know nothing. Ignorance is clearly not bliss. Trust me, I know.

48 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I died.

Did you like it until the end? How would you have ended it?

@Mattris not that I was having a bad day by any means, but man did your "theory" crack me up.ROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAO

Which isn't to say that there aren't some things in it that seem pertinent to the actual contents of The Rise of Skywalker, but still!

That Kylo Ren has merely infiltrated the First Order with good intentions in the long run is just not going to happen. Even if he is to be redeemed, that’s just not how it’s gonna go down.

2 hours ago, Gistech said:

The Visual Dictionary is leaked.

Kylo Ren goes to Mustafar. Probably to Vader's Castle. He finds Sith practitioners there.

I picture this scene with Severus Snape flying in on his broom.

10 hours ago, Gistech said:

The Visual Dictionary is leaked.

Kylo Ren goes to Mustafar. Probably to Vader's Castle. He finds Sith practitioners there.

the visual dictionary is also confirming past leaks. The nonsense about Lucasfilm releasing fake leaks really was just nonsense then. 

6 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

the visual dictionary is also confirming past leaks. The nonsense about Lucasfilm releasing fake leaks really was just nonsense then. 

The person leaking the Visual Dictionary is stating JediPaxis' ending leak is bullshit, so there's that.

I would wonder if LF don't care about Acts 1 and 2 leaking so much as Act 3.

Anyway, now the visual dictionary has been leaked, I'm gonna get off this thread.

Just now, Gistech said:

The person leaking the Visual Dictionary is stating JediPaxis' ending leak is bullshit, so there's that.

well ending it with “I’m Bond, Rey Bond” would be pretty lame.

It’s JJ though. Dude can’t end anything properly. 

going by his past I expect him to just rehash the ending of either Episode 4 or 6.

Rey turns to leave her friends as she embarks on her journey to restore the Jedi Order. Finn, Poe and Rose take off in the new Millennium Falcon and disappear into the distance. Rey then takes off her mask and reveals she was the real Palpatine all along. He laughs maniacally as the camera rises into the sky ending on a Prisoner of Azkaban-esque freeze-frame of Palpatine shooting lightning from his face.

This part of the new leak intrigued me...

I'm still convinced Sheev is the worst name they could've given Palpatine. It's like the writers couldn't think of a name so they took 'Steve' and Star Wars-ized it to 'Sheev'.

Maybe it's meant to be a play on shiv, the small knife-type weapon? Who knows?

5 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I'm still convinced Sheev is the worst name they could've given Palpatine. It's like the writers couldn't think of a name so they took 'Steve' and Star Wars-ized it to 'Sheev'.

Maybe it's meant to be a play on shiv, the small knife-type weapon? Who knows?

Sheev does sound a lot like Sheep, which is weird. Palpy is not a sheep, on the contrary, he is the wolf that fools the sheep into being eaten by him.