The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

Nah, that was the Sydo Dyas - Syfo Dyas misspelling which bafflingly stupodly made George replace "it was the big bad guy all along" with "it was... some guy. Who's dead. But it was him. Actually Dooku impersonated him but we won't tell you that" as the ultimate resolution of the investigation arc.

56 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I'm still convinced Sheev is the worst name they could've given Palpatine. It's like the writers couldn't think of a name so they took 'Steve' and Star Wars-ized it to 'Sheev'.

Maybe it's meant to be a play on shiv, the small knife-type weapon? Who knows?

steef! His name is Steef!!

47 minutes ago, Diego said:

Yikes! Sounds like the leaks were true. Disney really couldn’t have done a worse job with this trilogy.

it’s so so bad. What a disaster. 

4 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Looks like the chair is keeping him alive. Why are his eyes white?

He fell down a shaft into some energy well, I'm surprised he has a face and eyes. It's hard to tell, but he looks like there's less prosthetics on his face, at least from his appearance in RotJ.

Sorry for being a, what was it, "whiny bitch", but they spoiled Palpatine right in the opening crawl? That monumentally stupid. 

Say you have worked hard to avoid spoilers, and go in fresh, or you just like it when films build to their big reveals, like many people, then you go in and the return of Palpatine is revealed in a lame opening crawl. 

I would like it if the film built suspense, which is always nice even though you know what happens. But no, the movie opens, and the return of the Emperor is already spread through the whole galaxy. 

5 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Sorry for being a, what was it, "whiny bitch", but they spoiled Palpatine right in the opening crawl? That monumentally stupid. 

If the film’s very premise is predicated upon Palpatine’s return, then maybe it was a smart idea NOT to treat as a huge surprise reveal.

We shall see.

Ah, I see the John Williams cameo has already been mentioned here. It just blew my mind when I saw him in those 4-5 seconds. His name is actually credited as Oma Tres, not Trek, in the end credits. I'm wondering if the 'Tres' is a reference to the 'three trilogies' he's now done. 'Oma' can have several meanings; it's slang for 'grandmother' in German, for example.

There are other spoiler elements I want to discuss not mentioned here by others, but I'll save that for tomorrow after 9 AM.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ah, I see the John Williams cameo has already been mentioned here. It just blew my mind when I saw him in those 4-5 seconds. His name is actually credited as Oma Tres, not Trek, in the end credits. I'm wondering if the 'Tres' is a reference to the 'three trilogies' he's now done. 'Oma' can have several meanings; it's slang for 'grandmother' in German, for example.

There are other spoiler elements I want to discuss not mentioned here by others, but I'll save that for tomorrow after 9 AM.

just please, please tell me, are the any themes originating from the PT in this movie?

5 minutes ago, Arpy said:

@Thor is he clearly visible?

YES, he has his own shot. Although he has a "Borg-like" mask on the left side of his face. I kid you not! He just shakes his head as the rebels enters his pub and continues cleaning the glasses. It's all over in 4-5 seconds, if that!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

PT stands for Prequel Trilogy, Thor.

Ah, of course. No, I could not discern any PT themes, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe some snuck under the radar that I didn't notice. The choral music at the end has a "Duel of the Fates"/"Battle of the Heroes"-like quality to it, but it could just as well be an extension of the choral music for the Emperor in the OT.

Jay, why are you reading this thread? Don't you want to go in all 'free'?