The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ah, I see the John Williams cameo has already been mentioned here. It just blew my mind when I saw him in those 4-5 seconds. His name is actually credited as Oma Tres, not Trek, in the end credits. I'm wondering if the 'Tres' is a reference to the 'three trilogies' he's now done. 'Oma' can have several meanings; it's slang for 'grandmother' in German, for example.

There are other spoiler elements I want to discuss not mentioned here by others, but I'll save that for tomorrow after 9 AM.

Oma Tres, Yes! ! Thanks for the correction.

Incidentally, questions and answers about the music in the film should probably go here:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31031-the-rise-of-skywalker-complete-score-as-heard-in-the-film-discussion-spoilers-allowed/

So was it respectful how they used Carrie Fisher in this film, or kinda icky?

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

WHERE ARE THE SPOILERS?

YOU CAN SPOIL HERE!!!

Geeez, SPOIL!

:banghead:

I want to know everything!

www.reddit.com/r/starwarsleaks has all the stuff you need.

Ah, so the leaked script was authentic. Bad, bad, bad. :crymore:

So here's my summary.

Palpatine is caught with full tanks of clones who looks like Snoke...  Well, the idea of clones was so strong for so many years... so, OKAY, I buy this.

Rey seems to be the granddaughter of Palpatine or a thing like that (who cares???) Well, it implies that Palpatine had at least a kid... It seems I'll have to watch The Madalorian to know the whole story... NAAAAA, NEVER!!!

I don't know the exact context, but at some point Rey dies.  RIP REY. Snif snif. :nopity:

Oh, sorry but not for too long, as Ben, helped by the Force, bring her back... TADAM!!!!   (This is the explanation for the title of the Episode... "The Ascension of Rey... Skywalker"!!!!).

Because at the end... when Rey is asked what's her name by a character we don't care... she of course answers... I'm Rey... Rey SKYWALKER! :lol2:

- THE END -

Ok, so THE WHOLE SKYWALKER SAGA ends like this?  Are you serious DISNEY?  IT "ENDS"?

BULLSHIT.

:lol:

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

THE WHOLE SKYWALKER SAGA ENDS LIKE THIS?  ARE YOU SERIOUS DISNEY?  IT "ENDS"?

BULLSHIT.

:lol:

One of the latest trailers says "The Final Chapter... Begins"

If you think this is the last Star Wars movie about Rey, you're fooling yourself. The "final chapter" is gonna be over multiple films. 

Disney gonna be Disney and milk this shit for decades.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

So was it respectful how they used Carrie Fisher in this film, or kinda icky?

I think so. There isn't a lot of her, for obvious reasons, but the little there is, is fine.

From what I gather from the spoilers (and I've only glossed over those), it sounds really wierd, but I'm always for seeing what the filmmakers do with it on the screen.

Let's hope its good: that's always better.

5 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

By the way, George Lucas wasn't invited to the premiere last night.

Disney sucks at everything. 

Can't resist the Empire. 

he wasn’t at the premier. That doesn’t mean he wasn’t invited. 

I thought the Reddit leak of a few months back sounded like a fanfiction.  Which made me kind of think it was legit, because TFA feels like a well-made Star Wars fan movie.  

This one sounds like it is a very much something like that.  

Kind of perplexing, though.  These people had unlimited funds from Disney, they could have made something truly interesting.  

4 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

he wasn’t at the premier. That doesn’t mean he wasn’t invited. 

No, of course not. I mean, why would the creator of Star Wars be present at the premiere of the conclusion to his saga? Preposterous. 

He must have had better things to do. 

So, the Star Wars saga ends with a blood relative of Sith Lord Palpatine assuming the Skywalker name. Excellent storytelling. 

7 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Calling The Rise of Skywalker the conclusion of George Lucas' saga is kind of a stretch though...

Its the conclusion of the sequel trilogy - no more, no less.

I mean, Disney bought his story outlines for a new trilogy under false pretenses, I wouldn't blame him for staying away, but he was still going along with the public marketing of the Disney Star Wars for a long time. 

What's really revealing is that this isn't a news story. You'd think George Lucas not appearing for the Star Wars Episode 9 Premiere would be a story. 

But it's apparently top priority to not disturb this film's image until everyone's seen it and it's inevitable. 

Can't wait for the first "toxic fans" articles. 

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

No, of course not. I mean, why would the creator of Star Wars be present at the premiere of the conclusion to his saga? Preposterous. 

He must have had better things to do. 

So, the Star Wars saga ends with a blood relative of Sith Lord Palpatine assuming the Skywalker name. Excellent storytelling. 

You’ve read the spoilers? Tell me why you think Lucas would want to give up his free time to watch that shite?

WARNING: "No rich white american lost money in the making of this film."

Pheeeeew!!!

Lucas is now a drunkard, can you let him rest in peace, mercy? 

Well, if he's not yet a drunkard, he'll became one when he sees that movie!

Don't know if anyone already posted it, but here's the opening crawl:

EPISODE IX THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.

GENERAL LEIA ORGANA dispatches secret agents to gather intelligence, while REY, the last hope of the Jedi, trains for battle against the diabolical FIRST ORDER.

Meanwhile, Supreme Leader KYLO REN rages in search of the phantom Emperor, determined to destroy any threat to his power

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/star_wars/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-opening-crawl-has-leaked-online-spoilers-a172255

Well, the John Williams cameo will most certainly be a meme. I'm guessing this board will be flooded by new avatars of his image in the film, and people calling themselves 'Oma Tres'. Just wait and see.

I don't have any problems so far with anything from the leaks concerning the plot - but that opening crawl text is lame as fuck. The dead speak - a euphemism for the entire trilogy?

You know, The Last Jedi had overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics, and the audience was divided. Maybe this time the fans will love it and the critics will shit all over it!

40 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Wow! Didn’t the other two open at over 90%?!

reading the reviews it seems the biggest problems stem from the fact that they let JJ write it. 

Just now, Chen G. said:

Makes sense to me. I’m sure fans will fawn over it as “the resolution of the saga”.

Looking at reaction on reddit and twitter this is definitely not going to happen.

18 hours ago, gkgyver said:

I see it as a conclusion of the Rey-Kylo bond. They are sort of like a unified person, and assuming the name of Skywalker is a way of emphasising that.

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

53% now

Why do people care what these buffoons think? If an English major came up to you on the street and said I watched this movie, here’s what I think you should think about it, you’d tell ‘em to fuck off. 

If an English Major comes up to you on Rotten Tomatoes and says I watched this movie and here’s what I think you should think about it....you see it as god’s word!