The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Well, I subscribe to a few critics with whom I share certain sensibilities or tastes and I've trusted their opinions and detested them, but there's a difference between their opinions and your average joe, and that's experience, exposure and the ability to present an argument for their opinions. I trust someone who has studied film and has a passion for it over some guy in a YouTube comment who says 'tlj sucks, worst movie ever.'

I don't follow the critcs blindly either, I will always make my own mind up about how well a film works and what it means to me.

Riiggggghhht.

The Rise of Skywalker is a happier film than The Last Jedi. The music is nostalgic and optimistic. A fitting end!

Better than TLJ/10 :):):)

1 hour ago, Obi said:

I see the movie... There is at last a John Williams cameo ! He's a barman on Kimji. His name is Oma Tres !

Music By Oma Tres :):):)

I tried to film John when I was seeing the film a second time. However, I aimed my phone too high (had to keep it close to my chest, and just guess the direction), so it didn't work. I might be seeing everything for a third time, though, so I'll have another shot at that, if someone doesn't beat me to it :D

10 hours ago, Arpy said:

I don't have any problems so far with anything from the leaks concerning the plot - but that opening crawl text is lame as fuck. The dead speak - a euphemism for the entire trilogy?

no more lame than the ROTS opening crawl.

3 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Why do people care what these buffoons think? If an English major came up to you on the street and said watched this movie, here’s what I think you should think about it, you’d tell ‘em to fuck off. 

If an English Major comes up to you on Rotten Tomatoes and says I watched this movie and here’s what I think you should think about it....you see it as god’s word! 

There’s a difference between good film criticism and film “reviewers”

One of these days there might be a decent essay series on Star Wars 1-9, warts and all, but you’re not really gonna find anything worth reading the week a movie comes out.

That said reviews are fun.

I'm fine with Rey calling herself Rey Skywalker at the end of the movie.

It's not only referring to her continuing the Skywalker/Jedi legacy, and her bond with Luke, but I think also is in tribute to Ben's love for her, without which she would not be alive.  It's a trope with precedent, anyway.  

52 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

For those who've seen TROS...what kind of character is Pryde? Does Grant play him well?

Yes, he does, but like most every other secondary character in the film, he gets too little screen time to make much of an impression. He has a bit of Tarkin going on.

52 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Also, isn't Matt Smith in this?

I have some vague memory of that, but see above. Poor Dominic Monaghan too; basically a couple of background reactions, that's that.

Hey, I still love the movie, but these rushed elements are its major flaw.

After seeing some leaked footage, I can say that the only thing holding this mess of a movie together are the impressive visuals and John's superb score.

JJ just threw everything at the screen and hoped it would stick.  

Sorry to say, I got Hobbit 3 vibes.

5 minutes ago, Ollie said:

I’m guessing Rose is relegated to a few appearances and hopefully not involved in the plot too much.

Yes. She's on for, like, 1 minute in total, if that.

10 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Sorry to say, I got Hobbit 3 vibes.

No, no, not even comparable. HOBBIT 3 was a disaster (compared to the excellent two first films), this just has a bit of 'dirt' in an otherwise polished, excellent exterior.

5 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Why do people care what these buffoons think? If an English major came up to you on the street and said I watched this movie, here’s what I think you should think about it, you’d tell ‘em to fuck off. 

If an English Major comes up to you on Rotten Tomatoes and says I watched this movie and here’s what I think you should think about it....you see it as god’s word! 

Don't be stupid. It's an indication of how well the film is liked, not a command what you need to think about any given movie. Nobody said that. 

It's a strong indication that the movie might be as bad as people feared. 

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

No, no, not even comparable. HOBBIT 3 was a disaster (compared to the excellent two first films), this just has a bit of 'dirt' in an otherwise polished, excellent exterior.

Well, I was not huge on either of the first two Hobbits.  The second one was okay, I suppose.

Similarly, I'm rather ambivalent about TFA and TLJ.

16 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

I'm fine with Rey calling herself Rey Skywalker at the end of the movie.

It's not only referring to her continuing the Skywalker/Jedi legacy, and her bond with Luke, but I think also is in tribute to Ben's love for her, without which she would not be alive.  It's a trope with precedent, anyway.  

She's a Sith descendant calling herself a Skywalker. 

Rumors are Kathleen Kennedy deleted a scene of Obi Wan turning in his grave. 

45 minutes ago, Thor said:

HOBBIT 3 was a disaster (compared to the excellent two first films), this just has a bit of 'dirt' in an otherwise polished, excellent exterior.

There’s not a single character in these films that comes anywhere close to Thorin for me, so clearly I disagree.

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

There’s not a single character in these films that comes anywhere close to Thorin for me, so clearly I disagree.

Sure. That seems to be reasonable, given your avatar.

I really like AUJ, it's a great fantasy film. But I'm not a fan of either DOS and BOTFA. The former is okay/decent until the pretty bad climax, while the latter... yeah. The only Middle Earth movie that I didn't rewatched.

Does Palpatine do anything in this movie other than sit in a chair and likely die (again)?

My favorite appearance was obviously in Revenge of the Sith because he was so animated in that one, fighting guys and jumping around, making silly inflamed toad faces and just over the top.

9 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Does Palpatine do anything in this movie other than sit in a chair and likely die (again)?

My favorite appearance was obviously in Revenge of the Sith because he was so animated in that one, fighting guys and jumping around, making silly inflamed toad faces and just over the top.

he does something... for a brief time...

So, the Snoke clones in the vats have the same injuries/deformities as Supreme Leader Snoke...
  1. Cloning wouldn't replicate that.
  2. Andy Serkis said as recently as 2018, of Snoke's injuries: "It is to do with previous battles. It's a sort of decay as well. He's quite an old character, and those battle scars are affecting his recovery and his body's started to break down as well."
  3. It is said in the new Kylo comic that released today, that Luke gave Snoke his injuries. Of course this could be a lie, but it just further muddies an already muddy water.
So, did all the clones just so happen to fight and sustain the exact same injuries and have their bodies break down in the exact same way, and then they got stuck in the vats? Or is this trilogy just a mess? Ugh.

3 minutes ago, Ollie said:

I wanna know if the rumors of Luke appearing as Han Solo to convince Kylo Ren to be good are true.

Nah I just interpreted it as Kylo having an inner dialogue with the memory of his father, no "force" involved

Well this movie sure exists.

I prefer TLJ  and TFA both to this.  TROS is a very JJ Abrams film, with plenty of really good character moments. I didn't love the action which is surprising to me, TFA had good action.

Adam Driver is the MVP of all three movies, he nails it (but Kylo doesn't nail Rey to the disappointment of many fans I guess).  Enjoyed seeing Palpatine again, he was even more comically over the top this time.

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

He’s a literal talking puppet corpse except for like 30 seconds. 

Just now, Edmilson said:

So you're saying he didn't bothered to watch Episodes I - III before working on Episode IV? What a hack.

My husband posted this elsewhere with an acknowledgement that technically Mark Hamill never acted in Star Wars ep. IV a new hope thus avoiding the doghouse.

54 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

none of this was planned out in advance 

This is very obvious. Almost nothing we see in TROS was planned in advance.

Certainly not Palpatine.

Just now, Thor said:

I hope someone can make a list of all the dead Jedis that Rey summons in the finale. I could make out some of them, obviously, but not all.

I heard Sam Jackson

Yes, Mace Windu. Yoda. Obi-Wan. Qui-gon. Luke. The obvious ones, I think I managed to hear. And James Earl Jones' Darth Vader, but in Anakin's persona. Jones is credited in the end credits, so I assume that's for those 3 seconds of linereading. If it had been old dialogue, he wouldn't be credited, would he?