The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

Reviews from the press leave me shocked. I remember hearing about reports of multiple versions of the film (with different endings) and wonder...

Will a different version be shown for the wide release?

If so, this would be the biggest deception and troll job of all time.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

I hope someone can make a list of all the dead Jedis that Rey summons in the finale. I could make out some of them, obviously, but not all.

Maybe this will help

nls4wfsyde541.png?width=951&auto=webp&s=

So what about the Rey+Finn romance from TFA, does it make a resurgence here at all?

Wedge Antilles is supposedly in this, does he do anything notable, or is noticeable at all?

The Lando theme?

2 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Reviews from the press leave me shocked. I remember hearing about reports of multiple versions of the film (with different endings) and wonder...

Sorry, bro… No…

2 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Wedge Antilles is supposedly in this, does he do anything notable, or is noticeable at all?

Yes, he's aboard the Falcon with Lando, in the 'shooting chair' that Luke used to sit in. Now all grey and oldish. But blink, and you'll miss it!

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, he's aboard the Falcon with Lando, in the 'shooting chair' that Luke used to sit in. Now all grey and oldish. But blink, and you'll miss it!

I don't think he's on board the Falcon

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, Mace Windu. Yoda. Obi-Wan. Qui-gon. Luke. The obvious ones, I think I managed to hear. And James Earl Jones' Darth Vader, but in Anakin's persona. Jones is credited in the end credits, so I assume that's for those 3 seconds of linereading. If it had been old dialogue, he wouldn't be credited, would he?

2F8879FE-698D-4489-A080-1F8D4458E87F.jpeg

More than Jay’s pic

36 minutes ago, Mattris said:

I remember hearing about reports of multiple versions of the film (with different endings) and wonder...

Wait, are you seriously thinking that they’re trying to surprise fan by misinforming critics, having shown them a different version of the film with that intention in mind?!

Oh @Mattris, I wasn’t having the best of evenings, but you just made it sooo much better. 😂😂😂

28 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

2F8879FE-698D-4489-A080-1F8D4458E87F.jpeg

More than Jay’s pic

What’s the point of most of those cameos? Like how does Luminara Unduli sound? I don’t think she ever spoke in the prequels, how would anyone recognize her?

1 minute ago, Diego said:

What’s the point of most of those cameos? Like how does Luminara Unduli sound? I don’t think she ever spoke in the prequels, how would anyone recognize her?

People who have seen TCW 

Great work, Biodome. Now it's finally OUT THERE! (Hope you don't get sued by Disney, though!).

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I don't think he's on board the Falcon

Yes, he is. He's in the 'shooting chair' (or whatever the fuck it's called) onboard the Falcon, and even has a brief line. But blink and you'll miss it; plus Denis Lawson has changed quite a bit over the years.

This is my favourite review:

"In that, the movie could be a valuable life lesson for its younger viewers: get your kicks out in your first couple acts, kids, because the final one is gonna be about settling accounts and trying to graft some canned sense of profundity on to it all before you’re done."

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/12/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-review

These are spoilers allowed threads, can one of you going on about it actually explain what you think this one "retcons" from TLJ and how?

2 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

This is my favourite review:

"In that, the movie could be a valuable life lesson for its younger viewers: get your kicks out in your first couple acts, kids, because the final one is gonna be about settling accounts and trying to graft some canned sense of profundity on to it all before you’re done."

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/12/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-review

I know that writer’s voice from various podcasts.  Read his reviews in a semi-catty stereotypical gay voice for the intended effect.

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

These are spoilers allowed threads, can one of you going on about it actually explain what you think this retcons from TLJ?

There's quite a lot. Like Luke basically saying "The way I acted in TLJ was a mistake on my part." I'm not kidding here. Also there's a shot of Rey trying to throw away her lightsaber and Luke's force ghost catching it going "this needs to be treated with more respect" or something along those lines.

15 minutes ago, Biodome said:

Academy Award for Best Actor and Best Original score goes to...

D'oh. I avoided spoilers and didn't know anything about this, and totally missed it. I might have to see it again just to give him a small cheer.

4 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

Like Luke basically saying "The way I acted in TLJ was a mistake on my part."

Like he did at the end if TLJ when he decided to do something?

4 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

Also there's a shot of Rey trying to throw away her lightsaber and Luke's force ghost catching it going "this needs to be treated with more respect" or something along those lines.

So, a joke at the expense of an earlier half-joke. World-changing retconning going on here, JJ secretly hates Rian's guts. He sure showed him!

Also Leia didn't really work in the movie at all. It was painfully obvious that they cut in single, generic out-of-context lines of her and spun a narrative out if it via the replies people have to that.

Leia: It needs to be done.

Reply: You are right, we need to do this and that. But I have so many doubts!

Leia: Believe in yourself.

Reply: You are right, I have trained enough, it'll work.

Rey' s parents were totally retconned. "But I thought they were nobodies?" - "Actually they were Palpatine's son and daughter-in-law... But yeah."

17 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

"But I thought they were nobodies?" - "Actually they were Palpatine's son and daughter-in-law... But yeah."

The real question is, who is the grandmother? Who in their right mind would let Palpatine fuck them?

15 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

Rey' s parents were totally retconned. "But I thought they were nobodies?" - "Actually they were Palpatine's son and daughter-in-law... But yeah."

Did they ever do anything? Did the son inherit and use Sheev's abilities?

JJ was a cheeky bastard here and decided it's not Rey's parents but grandparent who was someone. And she casts it away and chooses her own identity anyway.

I don't even want to defend the movie. It was okayish, but it just proved to me that modern film sensibilities aren't for me anymore. Ep7 was a nice nostalgia trip plus I loved Ford in it, but neither 8 or 9 would count as good movies to me.

Stuff obviously needs to be epic, just for the fucks of it. Why 5 minutes of standard lightsaber fighting between Rey and Kylo? Because now it's epically taking place on the wreck of DS2.

Why 10000 ISDs against 100000 other ships? Because 10 ISDs and 100 other ships (which would have been enough to make the point) wouldn't be epic enough.

Kylo crashing his TIE like Indy the fridge in KOTCS? No problem, just step out of the burning wreck in an epic way. But not before Rey does an epic backflip over it.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

I enjoyed the movie just fine, despite the ridiculous moments ("You're Palpatine's granddaughter!" "Empress Palpatine!") and the occasionally cringy fan-service. Best things are the trio's interactions and the Rey/Kylo bond.

2 hours ago, Jost1 said:

Adam Driver is the MVP of all three movies, he nails it

^ Indeed.

36 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Fuck, this movie sounds awful.

The most awful thing about it is that Palpatine isn't even fighting anyone with his sword. 

He shoots Force lightning at the Resistance fleet, and Rey grills him. 

Lame.