The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

Did anyone notice how every scene Palpatine was in was filmed on a green screen and was mostly featureless and left to look dark and smokey. That was obviously so they could reshoot multiple versions of Palpatine's scenes with ease. The rumours of multiple versions was obviously true.

Honestly, by that part in the film I was just letting the thing run its course. Its not the only part of the film that doesn't make sense. Not by a long shot.

At least its got good visuals, decent action setpieces, good music and some fun humour. I mean, that's something, right?

Oh god! I've just realised something!

Anakin's entire fall to the dark side was because of his inability to stop his loved ones from dying. As he said, he could do nothing to save his mother in episode 2. Then he had visions of Padme's death in Episode 3, thus his obsession to save her grew so much that he turned to the dark side to try to learn how to save her. 

THE ENTIRE PREQUELS AND ANAKIN'S TRAGIC STORY WAS BECAUSE HE COULDN'T SAVE THE ONES HE LOVED FROM DYING!

In Rise of Skywalker, Rey saves Ben from dying by touching him and then Ben just resurrects Rey from death by lightly touching her stomach for 5 seconds...

FU*K DISNEY STAR WARS.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Was anyone curious as to why after Palpatine died, all of a sudden all the star destroyers fell from the sky in flames in a montage showing OT planets?

Why would they blow up? 

They destroyed their primary weapon.

I'll give the trilogy this: the Force dyad concept sounds like something that Abrams had in his mind when he was making The Force Awakens. Its alluded to in The Last Jedi, too: "I told my apprentice that as he grew stronger, his equal in the light will rise." It does explain Rey's powers quite elegantly.

Did anybody have a showing where most of the theater laughed when Kylo/Ben died? Had at least 4 rows all laughing at that moment in the film. I laughed with them. It was so fucking awkward. He just immediately goes down to the ground. 

5 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Did anybody have a showing where most of the theater laughed when Kylo/Ben died? Had at least 4 rows all laughing at that moment in the film. I laughed with them. It was so fucking awkward. He just immediately goes down to the ground. 

TRY TO RESURRECT SOMEONE AND TELL ME HOW YOU FEEL AFTER!

:lol:

(today's public is very too dumb to understand Star Wars)

34 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

They destroyed their primary weapon.

No, they destroyed the antenna and made the ships directionless. 

What dumshit Sith Lord chooses a planet as a hideout that makes his entire fleet dependent on one antenna? 

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Was anyone curious as to why after Palpatine died, all of a sudden all the star destroyers fell from the sky in flames in a montage showing OT planets?

Why would they blow up? 

They copied Independence Day Resurgence when they killed the Queen, then all the alien attackers lost control of themselves and crashed and the mothership retreated.

38 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

No, they destroyed the antenna and made the ships directionless. 

What dumshit Sith Lord chooses a planet as a hideout that makes his entire fleet dependent on one antenna? 

The same Sith Lord who built a Death Star that could be taken out by a single torpedo. It's a disappointing sort of oversight for an evil mastermind, but it's in character.

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Yep, a lot of people in my theater laughed.

17 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

I've never fully realized until now that the Emperor is killed by giving him exactly what he wants. 

He wants Rey to kill him. 

Rey comes to him with the intention of killing him. 

He tells Rey killing him would make him rule the galaxy with Rey's body. 

Which makes Rey NOT want to kill him. What a dumbass. 

Rey then kills him anyway, which is EXACTLY what he wanted, but somehow, he doesn't transfer himself to Rey, and just dies. 

This is the most idiotic script ever. 

The story rationale is paper thin, but he wants her to strike him down in anger.  I think we are to believe she did not kill him at all.  She redirected his own lethal energy back on him, so he had no host body to enter.  Quite frankly, I think the problem runs through all of the episodes.  The jedi are not supposed to kill, but they do so with great regularity.  They are portrayed as pacifists and warrior knights simultaneously, which doesn't really make sense.  

45 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

I've never fully realized until now that the Emperor is killed by giving him exactly what he wants. 

Rey then kills him anyway, which is EXACTLY what he wanted, but somehow, he doesn't transfer himself to Rey, and just dies. 

I think all that changed after the Emperor sucked the lives out of Reylo as if he was a dementor. He appeared to become very powerful by doing that instead of being killed.

Just got back from seeing the film, and honestly, I liked it. The main issues I have with the film are mostly to do with pacing, and what @Jay and others have mentioned about the film being cut way, way down where things were shuffled along too fast! 

The Emperor's return was great, however it felt like he was there for five minutes! I really wanted to see more of his character and unfortunately the focus is shifted to other things. If only there was more time!

I felt they used Leia well, however they really relied on over the shoulder reverse shots to keep her there which was noticeable, along with innocuous lines taken from other scenes to give Rey something to interact with.

I think ultimately there's too much to do in a short time and they knew this and still had to make cuts.

The score was buried, and I mean six-feet under layers of sound fx for two thirds of the film - really coming out to remind viewers Williams still exists in the final third. It's a disgrace to do that to such beautiful music. God damn did Williams lose out to the mixing. The Speeder Chase is my favourite cue on the OST and it's cruelly absent from the film, and what little is there is buried under sounds of shit. If JJ had more faith in the score that could've brightened that particular chase scene to let the music tell the story and action. I think the score will have a better life outside the film on album and in the hopeful expansions if they ever happen.

All in all, I can excuse the things others will complain about - the fan service - because the film has to act as two endings in one and what really became a foundation of the franchise after the OT was that ideal of legacy. Sometimes they push those fan service buttons a little hard, but it seriously wasn't anything to cry over. The force powers, ghosts, Rey and Kylo's bond, it was great. How about that redemption for Ben that no one hear thought could happen? (cough, cough, @Chen G.;) )

I love the journey of Rey's character and JJ managed to wrap it all up in what I felt was a satisfying way, especially the return to Tatooine to pay homage to the original film, and Rey and BB8 walking off together.

If anything I've been more disappointed by fan and audience reactions (which actually negatively impacted my experience) because I felt some part of the magic and love for the franchise had died after TLJ going into this one. I know, it's a little dramatic, but it's fucking depressing to see overreactions to these films. I think everyone went to see all three with hyped, unrealistic expectations, all varied and impossible to realize and it hurt them to not see it end the way they wanted it.

17 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

I think all that changed after the Emperor sucked the lives out of Reylo as if he was a dementor. He appeared to become very powerful by doing that instead of being killed.

Yeah, it's strange how the restoration of his powers brought back the face vagina scars from RotS even though earlier when he was emaciated and broken, those features were no longer there...

Nothing to do with expectations. This is a very pior and lazily constructed film. Putting that medal reference gives you a very clear idea of the mindset they had going into this

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

This is a great point I hadn't really thought about. If he was prepared for her to kill him anyways, so that he could transfer into her body, why didn't he just do that...?

No, he lied about transferring into her body and instead drained their life force, restoring his body and his powers.

24 minutes ago, Romão said:

Nothing to do with expectations. This is a very pior and lazily constructed film. Putting that medal reference gives you a very clear idea of the mindset they had going into this

I really didn't think that was anything worth complaining about, Chewie was one of the last legacy characters left, so it was Leia's gift to him. 

To say it has nothing to do with expectations might be true for you, but I know it's true for many people. I'm not trying to give this film a free pass for all its flaws either.

This most disappointing thing about this movie?

What an unimaginative revelation they arrived at - that Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter.

Force Awakens released on 18th December 2015. Literally that day, I read fan theories that Rey was Palpatine's granddaughter and I scoffed at them.

Here is the earliest record I could find - of this theory mere days after the release of force awakens (see the comments too).

Spoiler

What's disappointing is that a bullshit spitball by teenagers blowing wind in an ordinary forum is equal to the imagination of the most expensive storytellers money can buy.

The disappointment is - is that all you could think of? Seriously?

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

No, he lied about transferring into her body and instead drained their life force, restoring his body and his powers.

Incorrect. Did you miss the whole part about the Sith sacrificial ritual they were preparing to do? Sidious wasn't aware that Kylo and Rey were a dyad in the Force, until he accidentally found his fingers begin to start healing. He looked down in surprise, and then changed his mind and decided to just rejuvenate his original body, rather than die again.

27 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Incorrect. Did you miss the whole part about the Sith sacrificial ritual they were preparing to do? Sidious wasn't aware that Kylo and Rey were a dyad in the Force, until he accidentally found his fingers begin to start healing. He looked down in surprise, and then changed his mind and decided to just rejuvenate his original body, rather than die again.

Oh yes, sorry, I forgot that part. Oh well, I guess it saved him the effort of transferring into Rey. 

It was like RotJ all over again. For all I've been complaining about how brief Palpatine's return was, I was reminded we hadn't really seen him in the OT in the flesh until RotJ and then he gets thrown down a well a few minutes after electrifying Luke.

Palpatine's return in TROS adds nothing new to the character we hadn't already seen before.

A pity really. They brought back a character who's death signified the triumph of good over evil in ROTJ, and didn't put him to good use.

39 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Palpatine's return in TROS adds nothing new to the character we hadn't already seen before.

A pity really. They brought back a character who's death signified the triumph of good over evil in ROTJ, and didn't put him to good use.

It certainly throws the prophecy plot under the bus, or it shifts the 'chosen one' title to Rey. 

Perhaps bringing balance to the force was the Dyad, one dark and one light, together. 

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

It was like RotJ all over again. For all I've been complaining about how brief Palpatine's return was, I was reminded we hadn't really seen him in the OT in the flesh until RotJ and then he gets thrown down a well a few minutes after electrifying Luke.

The difference being that Papatine was frequently mentioned in Empire (and shown in one scene), establishing him as the "ultimate bad guy", so his appearance in ROJ didn't come out of nowhere (and besides, he was always the guy in charge of the Empire). In the ST, the First Order existed without Palpatine for two movies, and then, out of literally nowhere, Palpatine is back and in charge again (just imagine if they haden't announced Palpatine's return, and we found out about it reading the opening crawl.... it would feel cheap and lame. The only reason it kinda works is because they let us know about it months in advance, so we could get used to it!)

The third act is a copy of ROTJ of course: the Jedi apprentice is brough before Palpatine, Palpatine says "turn to the dark side or your friends will die", he/she doesn't, and Palpatine's apprentice turns to the light side instead.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

It certainly throws the prophecy plot under the bus, or it shifts the 'chosen one' title to Rey.

And this is my main gripe. It is not difficult to make enjoyable SW stories that do not contradict the existing lore, that do not undermine the classic characters' legacies. And yet it seems like Disney is practically going out of its way to do just those very things. Luke Skywalker was supposed to be the one to restore the Jedi Order; according to Disney, he failed, and Rey will no doubt get to go down in SW history as the one who does that. Anakin Skywalker was supposed to be the Chosen One and destroy the Sith; according to Disney, he failed, and Rey gets to go down in SW history as the one who does that. It's insulting and feels almost like a personal attack on fans who have loved and invested themselves in these characters over the years. It seems like Disney will not be content simply owning SW; they must remake it in their image, and they must put down the legacy characters to prop their own characters, up. It's ironic; for all their branding of these films as "The Skywalker Saga", they sure do seem to like dismantling the actual Skywalkers and handing their legacies over to a new Disney character who is in truth a Palpatine by blood, who merely "identifies" as a Skywalker. It's sort of depressing to think about.

Exactly what was the point of this trilogy, plot-wise? The galaxy is in virtually the same state it was in at the end of ROTJ, except a different character is now getting to take all the credit going forward. This trilogy doesn't add to the PT or OT; it was not needed in the least. At least the PT, for all its faults, added valuable context to the OT and was still at least the authentic vision of the series' original creator. But we know from Bob Iger's recent book that Disney threw George's story treatments for the sequels, in the trash... A fact that I get the feeling many casual fans are unaware of; they seem to think that Disney is honoring his stories and wishes, when that really couldn't be further from the truth. When I found that out, I lost a lot of respect for Disney and their handling of this franchise, and this trilogy lost a lot of legitimacy in my mind. This is not George Lucas' STAR WARS. George may suck at writing dialogue, but his stories are still worth telling. It's a shame they're sitting in the trash instead of being told.

8 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Yep I said the same thing yesterday. Utterly stupid script.

Screenshot_20191221-102811_Samsung Internet.jpg