The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

46 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

ROTS: Coruscant, Utapau, Kashyyyk, Mustafar, Polis Massa, Tatooine (4 new planets)

That film has a quick series of planets glimpsed in that montage where the Jedi are eradicated, so there’s that.

I didn't realize this until I saw it in a YouTube video...

People complained about Luke nearly killing Ben in the flashbacks in TLJ. In TROS we learn that Leia also had a vision of her son turning evil, giving Luke more incentive than we knew about. 

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That film has a quick series of planets glimpsed in that montage where the Jedi are eradicated, so there’s that.

Yeah, I remembered that, but most of these planets are just glimpsed, and not even given a name, so I'm not sure it counts, lol.

Also, on the new versions of ROTJ, we see people on Coruscant and Naboo celebrating the fall of the Empire, if I remember correctly.

a LITTLE bit of comic book stuff with some relevance to TROS, since my main non-movie source of Star Wars stuff is the comics.

For those of you making birth charts and family trees, the page from Charles Soule's Darth Vader comic that keeps getting thrown around as "proof" that Palpatine created Anakin through the force was confirmed to NOT mean that by both the writer and the Lucasfilm Story Group executive (Matt Martin) who worked on it.

Also - since this likely plays with things set up in TROS - in the most recent Star Wars comic - Rise of Kylo Ren #1 - they show that Kylo did not raze the Jedi Temple after his fallout with Luke.  He stood outside cursing Luke, thinking he killed him - and a very familiar lightning rained from the sky, destroying the temple and killing those inside.  It also has a little bit about the origin of the Knights of Ren - and Kylo's seduction by Snoke.  I suspect now that the trilogy is complete, we're going to see a ton of stuff filling in the gaps - where previously, everybody walked on eggshells to make sure they weren't hamstringing the filmmakers.

Jesus Christ, something that should've been simple and the idiots keep complicating it...

Palpy wanted an apprentice, not just AN apprentice, but THE apprentice, the strongest Force wielder ever born. Knowing about the prophecy, and utilizing the knowledge about the Force he had obtained from Plagueis, he influenced the midichlorians into creating Anakin, then manipulated him into becoming Vader. Simple as that!

On TROS, Kylo specifically says that Palpy created Vader (his grandfather) and then Rey's father. Great! Now, why complicate it even further?

That’s not a perfect movie, but it ends The Skywalker Saga very well.

TLJ was so empty that they had really just one last movie to end the saga properly according to Lucas’s vision.

What a race, even if there are some futile details here and there.

But my god, when Leia died (almost a second time) I had tears in my eyes... and they stayed wet till the end. 

I shouted in my head: DIE BASTARD! When Rey killed Palpatine. Then the return to Lars farm got me...

SW is a part of my life since 40 years, so it’s normal to be touched!

When Obi-Wan died in Star Wars, his body immediately disappeared

When Yoda died in Return of the Jedi, his body immediately disappeared

When Luke died in The Last Jedi, his body disappeared I think, don't remember

Why in this movie, when Leia died, was she under a sheet for a while, only disappearing later?

To disappear you have train yourself. It was shown in the Clone Wars.

Quin Gon discovered how, but maybe he didn't have time to finish his training, or he was just not ready when he died unexpectedly.

Yoda was the first to train himself correctly, Obi-Wan was the second and Luke, obviously, the third.

Leia disapeared following Ben’s Ascension: as he was the last Skywalker. 

I like how Palpatine is trying to kill Ben in the movie. He throws him in a pit like Vader throwed him before. 

I don't remember what he exactly says, but he seems very happy to kill the last f*** Skywalker! HAHAHA!!!

I have to say that McDiarmid is PERFECT in this movie. Theatrical and grandiloquent as can be, even at the border of death, kept alive by machines and old Sith magic.

"I'M ALL THE SITH!!!"

Yeah really?  But guess what...

ROTFLMAO

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

That’s not a perfect movie, but it ends The Skywalker Saga very well.

I love the ending, Rey and BB8 walking off into the twin sunset bringing this trilogy full circle.

17 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Rey and BB8 walking off into the twin sunset bringing this trilogy full circle.

I did like a couple of the beats of the final scene. Seeing the homestead all desolate seem to fit the mood, and the burying of the lightsabers was quite poignant, although I wish she would have buried all three. Like I said, there are parts of this film that are perfectly enjoyable.

The sunset thing got overplayed, especially with Binary Sunset playing in the background, and is of course preceded by that stupid "Rey Skywalker" moment. I guess I just don't find the bookends style of ending a trilogy ("oh, look, the third film is so much like the first film!") as the most compelling way to close a trilogy. I never felt, for instance, that The Return of the King was trying to mirror The Fellowship of the Ring: it was simply bringing the story to a resolution, rather than trying to parallel the first film.

Bad Robot made a bad movie.

What about the return to the shire in RotK that picks up several familiar beats from Fellowship before it ends?

I'm not saying every film should have that bookend structure, nor does it work for all films, but I think it worked here for once.

Like I said, some of the beats in the scene felt very right. Others, less so. A mixed bag, ultimately, and certainly not enough to salvage this film.

But sure, it has its positives. Every film has.

13 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

preceded by that stupid "Rey Skywalker" moment.

I liked that she chose to take on the name of Skywalker - but it could've worked just as well had she embraced her 'nobody' status and just said 'I'm Rey, just Rey...'

The one thing I hated was the Sith Dagger - the Death Star had only fallen thirty years ago, but already someone forged a dagger and made it align with the contour of the wreckage? Why couldn't someone just say - 'Oh there's rumours of the wreckage of the death star on Kef Bir, transmitting a faint signal, perhaps that's where we can look'.

Just wait though. There’ll be some insipid comic book explaining that the little measuring device on the dagger was added later by a mysterious figure unreferenced by any character or event that we’ve seen. Just so the precious canon is pure.

The idea of a dagger sounds too primitive and “Earth-like” for Star Wars. But I guess it’s not too far fetched since SW had a needle on a probe droid and Ani used a knife to cut fruit for Padme.

Please for the smooth functioning of this forum, first, have Chen on your ignore list, then only answer him to show he's totally disconnected.

Thanks!

:biglaugh:

The idea of a Sith Dagger on its own is fine - the idea it was made to find the throneroom on the fallen Death Star is where things get silly.

Like, what if D-O, the droid they find on Rey's parent's ship has the map within his memory banks? Like wouldn't that also make his character as an abused droid more useful? Rey would befriend D-O and slowly gain it's trust and it projects a map of the fallen Death Star?

😡

*breathe

*keep calm

*It's  just a movie...

😓

Bespin, don't make me make you my first ignore.

I'm willing to go with the idea the Sith Loyalists made it, but it seems like the whole thing was constructed around trying to get the heroes to go on some quest and to get the Death Star back into the film. There are easier ways to do this.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

The one thing I hated was the Sith Dagger - the Death Star had only fallen thirty years ago, but already someone forged a dagger and made it align with the contour of the wreckage? Why couldn't someone just say - 'Oh there's rumours of the wreckage of the death star on Kef Bir, transmitting a faint signal, perhaps that's where we can look'.

How does Rey know how to stand at the exact point where the dagger's contours can actually line up?

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

How does Rey know how to stand at the exact point where the dagger's contours can actually line up?

Yep, was thinking that on my second viewing too.

26 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Lucas won at the end. Movies were not so good. But we can still read Wookiepedia articles while listening to JW wonderfull music!

Lucas got his treatments of this trilogy thrown out, voiced his disappointment, wasn't present at the premiere, and is forced to watch whatever abominations Disney has planned with his baby, and he can do nothing about it. 

He didn't "win". 

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

And Rey Palpatine is perhaps pregnant of Ben Skywalker. 

Why do people think this?  Did Palpatine teach Kylo how to manipulate the midichlorians like Plagueis did?

Sidious never understood a thing about this, exactly like you.

Plagueis « The wise », they called him... We’ll never know the truth...

4 hours ago, Jay said:

When Obi-Wan died in Star Wars, his body immediately disappeared

When Yoda died in Return of the Jedi, his body immediately disappeared

When Luke died in The Last Jedi, his body disappeared I think, don't remember

Why in this movie, when Leia died, was she under a sheet for a while, only disappearing later?

Because they didn’t have any good Leia dialogue for the Voices of Force Past scene, so they made sure she didn’t poof away until it was over with.

This movie felt somewhat over-the-top and jam-packed. I know it's the last movie of the saga, but still--I felt like I could hardly breathe. That being said, it was still a good movie. I truly had no idea Rey and Kylo would kiss... and I think it worked really well. And I liked that Rey went to the Lars homestead. That was a much better ending than I expected!

11 hours ago, Demodex said:

I didn't realize this until I saw it in a YouTube video...

People complained about Luke nearly killing Ben in the flashbacks in TLJ. In TROS we learn that Leia also had a vision of her son turning evil, giving Luke more incentive than we knew about. 

He was not able to kill him.

57 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Sidious never understood a thing about this, exactly like you.

Plagueis « The wise », they called him... We’ll never know the truth...

So you think Ben knocked up Rey by using the Force?  Ok. 😄