The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

She's gonna live in Luke's old house for some reason.

I interpreted the final scene as Rey merely visiting the Lars Homestead, not living there. She walks away from it at the end, so it was more of a monument than a home.

9 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I interpreted the final scene as Rey merely visiting the Lars Homestead, not living there. She walks away from it at the end, so it was more of a monument than a home.

I agree - she buried the lightsabers as a stand in for burying the bodies. And at the same time, she "birthed" herself (or sort of "christened" herself with a last name) as a "Skywalker." So, it's both an end and a beginning, reinforcing the cyclical nature. All pretty normal myth storytelling things. I was fine with that. 

I think earlier in this thread or in another one, there was some idea of having all the characters there at the sunset but that was ditched.

47 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Williams obviously had a different interpretation. Since his track is called A New Home

It's great that this time I chose not to cut off myself from the Internet for a week, because thanks to the good people's reactions and listing problems on this forum and the Discord, I expected a lot worse! I really kinda had fun with it. It's not great or anything by far, clunky as hell when you think about it and I could list off many many genuine problems and weird things. But I had fun.

The only thing I like about the final scene was when Rey used that piece of metal as a sled like she did when we were first introduced to her in TFA. And Williams accompanied it by giving a nice little callback to the same section of Rey's theme used in both scenes.

Just a little thing that shows the potential this trilogy had for touching character moments. But was ultimately wasted.

Yes, let's take that condescending, straw man of a tweet and bitterly complain about a man we know nothing about beyond his film and tv credits...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROTFLMAO

J.J. Abrams Says Rey and Kylo Ren Have a ‘Brother-Sister Thing’ in ‘Star Wars’
"Reylo" fans might want to stop celebrating.

“Star Wars” fans hoping Rey (Daisy Ridley) and Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) would become romantic partners (dubbed “Reylo” online) got a bittersweet surprise in “The Rise of Skywalker.” After Kylo breaks free from the dark side and uses Force healing powers to resurrect Rey (who dies after defeating Emperor Palpatine once and for all), the two characters share what seems in the moment to be a passionate kiss. Kylo then dies moments afterward. The sequence was equal parts wish fulfillment and heartbreak for “Reylo” fans, but it turns out the kiss might not have been so romantic.

Following a screening of “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, director and co-writer J.J. Abrams was recorded on camera speaking to a group of viewers about Rey and Kylo’s relationship (via /Film).

“There is as much of a brother-sister thing between Rey and Kylo Ren as there is a romantic thing,” Abrams said. “So it’s not like literally a sexual, romantic thing, but it’s more like they’re bound together in this movie in a crazy, spiritual way that, again, felt romantic to me.”

Abrams’ context is the latest reveal that clarifies a moment in “The Rise of Skywalker” offscreen. After the same Academy screening, Abrams had to explain a part of the latest “Star Wars” movie that was missing. There’s a moment where Rey and Finn (John Boyega) believe they are about to die and Finn tells Rey he has something to tell her. The characters survive, but Finn never reveals what he had to get off his chest. Abrams revealed after the film’s theatrical release that Finn wanted to tell Rey he is Force sensitive as well.

As for the Rey-Kylo kiss, Abrams’ clarification that the bond between the two characters is a “brother-sister thing” might strike many “Star Wars” fans as going against what’s presented on screen. The moment in the film plays like a romantic climax to Rey and Kylo’s intense relationship.

“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” is now playing in theaters nationwide.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/jj-abrams-rey-kylo-ren-star-wars-kiss-explained-1202199074/

The Reylo relationship was already badly written, and now it's just plain creepy.

This twist is maybe too Game of Thrones for such a family friendly franchise.

8 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Am I the only one who thought this was good?!

No 

On 12/17/2019 at 3:50 AM, Dixon Hill said:

It's fine.

On 12/18/2019 at 7:16 PM, eitam said:

I enjoyed the movie just fine,

On 12/18/2019 at 11:18 PM, rough cut said:

The movie was good, way better than I expected.

On 12/19/2019 at 4:50 AM, theMaestraX said:

This WAS a STAR WARS film and back to form also. Overall a film worth watching again, again!

On 12/19/2019 at 8:44 PM, Matt C said:

I thought it was flawed but enjoyable

12 hours ago, dylanskie said:

it was still a good movie.

On 12/20/2019 at 7:53 PM, Kühni said:

HOWDY, that went much better than I had anticipated.

On 12/22/2019 at 12:07 AM, mstrox said:

The movie was fine.

On 12/22/2019 at 2:27 PM, Demodex said:

. It was good

If Trevorrow was the director, the movie would've been better?

I mean, Jurassic World is not by any means a good movie, but I like it more (and think it's funnier) than TROS. 

On the other hand, JWFK's script is laughably bad, and the movie is utter shit. Bayona's directing made it at least watchable, if it wasn't him on the direction I can't even begin to imagine how much shittier the movie could've been. And I haven't watched Book of Henry, but apparently it's awful too.

2 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Who are all these people?!

People who have posted in the thread you are also posting in

There is neither a brother sister thing going on with Kyko Ren and Rey, nor is there a romantic thing going on, unless you're in the habit of trying to legit kill your love interest on a regular basis. 

There is a bad guy vs good guy thing going on, and that's what it fucking should have been. 

2 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Who are all these people?!

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

If Trevorrow was the director, the movie would've been better?

The problem here wasn't how the actors were directed or shot composition or anything, it was the story being told (and the rushed pace at which it was told)

1 minute ago, Jay said:

We need a JWFan Rotten Tomatoes (i.e.: a poll) to achieve consensus about the movie!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The problem here wasn't how the actors were directed or shot composition or anything, it was the story being told (and the rushed pace at which it was told)

Yeah, but if Trevorrow remained as director as planned, he would have had more time than Abrams did to develop the story and create the movie.

I'm not trying to invent excuses for Abrams' very poor storytelling on this movie, but maybe, if Trevorrow had more time, who knows...

On the other hand, there was 2 years between JW and Book of Henry and 3 between JW and JWFK. Also, maybe the script Trevorrow delivered to LFL was a good reason on why they fired him...

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

You said it!

There's a good movie in The Rise of Skywalker. Actually, there about two or three of them. But they're all meshed together into a two-hour film that feels like its on fast-forward.

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

You said it!

There's a good movie in The Rise of Skywalker. Actually, there about two or three of them. But they're all meshed together into a two-hour film that feels like its on fast-forward.

It's actually on fast rewind. 

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

It feels like a youtube video recapping a movie rather than an actual movie at times

Exactly what I've felt watching the movie. It's like you're watching the trailer or a recap.

25 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Right.

I've never seen anything quite like it: tis bonkers!

Even Mad Max: Fury Road settled down a bit after a while. TROS just kept racing through stuff. Lotta momentum, little substance.

What I hated is the explicit 18-hour time limit again with arbitrary reminders. It doesn't make anything more tense, it makes everything seem that much more fleeting and weightless, that they really are just skipping and running around in the span of a few hours. It really does feel like Rey spends a grand total of 5 actual minutes on Ahch-To, so the quick change of mind is that much more unbelievable.

It worked in SW for the final fast paced Death Star countdown and I didn't mind it that much in TLJ. I also hated it in TFA when we're supposed to believe the ground crew covered kilometers and kilometers and did everything we actually see them do in what did they give, 20 fucking minutes?