The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

Anyone else find Dark Rey alluring and sexy AF? I don’t mean that cavalierly, either. I think it was definitely intentional. Her eyes and smile look like something out of a designer fragrance ad or magazine photo shoot or something. When side-by-side with the sweaty and stressed-out “good” Rey, it’s like DR is telling GR to just give in, ‘cause look how awesome I am—and you kinda want to agree. (But then DR’s face goes Palpatine-y and the moment is gone.)

After the flagrant open discussion seen in the other threads here over the last couple of days, it doesn't take Hercule Poirot to figure out that Rey is obviously of Palpatine lineage.

So since major open spoilers are now considered "fine" on JWFan, I'll just say "thanks" for saving me the time and effort in ever seeing the final part of the series. Right on 👌

But it's fine. We can all ignore the traditional forum etiquette, after all. So yeah, it'll be open season from me from now on! Beware!

This is what happens when there's a 1000 Star Wars threads, and the distinction between the two spoiler/non spoiler threads is very, very slim. 

It needs to read:

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! The Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread 

3 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Do people really decide not to see a movie just because they were exposed to a plot point or two before seeing it?

As a friend of mine said, if knowing spoilers ruins a movie, then it's not a good movie.  

So I really hope @Quintus decides to go see it. 

5 hours ago, Demodex said:

As a friend of mine said, if knowing spoilers ruins a movie, then it's not a good movie.  

So I really hope @Quintus decides to go see it. 

I'm not into paying twenty quid to go and see a movie which has no surprises. To me it's a waste of money and around three hours of my day. I'm not like Drax, who has all the time in the world when he's not sitting around twiddling his thumbs.

I'll wait for this to show up on Netflix instead.

And if my militant stance on spoilers bewilders everyone here enough already, wait until they find out how much it impacts and eradicates any desire in me to explore an attached musical score. I won't listen to John Williams' final soundtrack now, or at least I won't for many months (or whenever it is that I eventually bother to see the film). Might be years or it might be never.

A spoiler might have helped me understand the ending to The Sixth Sense before I saw it. I spent a long time afterward thinking his wife was mad at him for not wearing his wedding ring anymore and maybe the ghosts stole it from him.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

I'm not into paying twenty quid to go and see a movie which has no surprises. To me it's a waste of money and around three hours of my day. I'm not like Drax, who has all the time in the world when he's not sitting around twiddling his thumbs.

I'll wait for this to show up on Netflix instead.

And if my militant stance on spoilers bewilders everyone here enough already, wait until they find out how much it impacts and eradicates any desire in me to explore an attached musical score. I won't listen to John Williams' final soundtrack now, or at least I won't for many months (or whenever it is that I eventually bother to see the film). Might be years or it might be never.

Twenty quid, what are you doing wrong? It was £5.80 at our local Vue!

JJ botches the classic JW anecdote, via Twitter:

“There’s as much of a brother and sister thing with Rey and Kylo Ren as there is romantic. So it’s not literally a sexually/romantic kind of thing. It’s more like they’re just bound together in this crazy, spiritual way. Again, felt romantic to me…. It’s like John Williams, if you listen to the – when he first wrote the Luke theme. It was a romantic theme for Luke and Leia. That was kind of what he was thinking because he didn’t know where it was going.”

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Wow.

1 hour ago, Bofur01 said:

Twenty quid, what are you doing wrong? It was £5.80 at our local Vue!

Really? That's cheap. I would have been taking my son though. It's around £10.50 a ticket in our nearest Cineworld.

43 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Don't know what's so hard about reading SPOILERS ALLOWED in the thread title. 

Apparently it's not as hard as reading people's posts properly.

I have now seen this film 6 times now and will continue as it still felt like a nostalgic trip, familiar elements cropping up! Again a lot of curve balls, course this isn't Shakespeare but both Disney and JJ I find had a total lack of vision and consider this a fan-made graduation film. Still entertaining but alittle irritating to find REY can call herself or inherit the Skywalker family name, she's a Palpatine we are told. Also they (Lucasfilm) cannot researched properly the expanded universe as the Sith planet is called Korriban and not Testicle oops I mean Exetica or something. In that universal outta rim territories would have been well charted and not unknown systems or maybe they were at the time of filming. The padded dialogue was alittle forced like "They fly now?", "They fly now?", "Yes they fly now!". Was that a Krayt Dragon or just a serpent snake type in the caverns?

Artoo had alittle to do but found See-Threepio's interactions very amusing " You didn't mention my name sir but I'm alright!"

John Williams music to this is always welcomed and served the film well, even the nostalgic elements when revisiting the Emperors throne room from ROTJ felt a cold shiver inside me. The overall film wandered into Game of Thrones meets Narnia meets Lost territory. 

Nice too see a CGI of a young Princess Leia with Luke in the training scenes and watching Carrie interacting with the mysterious, troubled REY gave me a warm feeling who is still unsure about her destiny....take your place and together we can rule the galaxy as Emperess Palpatine, yep I dig it. Amazing Paplatine returned to face another day and consumed the all powering energy to become an Avenger! Well crafted battle, light sabre scenes in various places. With all that experience before and a welcome return of Lando you would've promoted him to launch the decisive attack on the fleet and not Poe - Hmmm!

OK I could go on with this but I sense a disturbance in myself and that means hunger, yep I still like the film but I was expecting something new and fresher & NOT copied or trying to better itself or within itself!

So I saw it and here's my take on it...

There are PARTS of it I like. I get the whole redemption of Ben as I think EVERYONE should have a chance of being redeemed. However, killing him off in the end when there was chemistry between him and Rey since TFA and they kissed before he died.... that did not sit very well with me OR my wife. 

Also while this film was being made I had said, "I hope this isn't a rehash of ROTJ like TFA was for Star Wars (ANH)".  Unfortunately I was right. I felt like Rise Of Skywalker was a rehash of Return Of The Jedi.

I also read that a lot of people that hated The Last Jedi like the movie more now because of Rise Of Skywalker. They think ROS sucks but TLJ is better which I for one am glad that people have changed their minds.  

I for one REALLY liked The Last jedi both film and score. To me Rise Of Skywalker is a big step down from The Last Jedi.

Here is that article I was talking about.

https://movieweb.com/the-last-jedi-thank-you-rian-johnson-trending/

Edit: Other thoughts.... the whole Palpatine being alive when he was basically vaporized when Vader threw him down the shaft in ROTJ.... ya no that did NOT make sense.  Neither did Rey being the granddaughter of Palpatine.

Oh ya and another thing I did NOT like that Rey just took on the "Skywalker" name at the end. She is NOT a Skywalker, she's a Palpatine. Although I can understand WHY she took on the name Skywalker because she doesn't want to be reminded she's the granddaughter of a Sith lord.  Again to ME it just doesn't make sense.

5 hours ago, Trent B said:

Oh ya and another thing I did NOT like that Rey just took on the "Skywalker" name at the end. She is NOT a Skywalker, she's a Palpatine. Although I can understand WHY she took on the name Skywalker because she doesn't want to be reminded she's the granddaughter of a Sith lord.  Again to ME it just doesn't make sense.

No, it's not that, it's because her spiritual family and her identity has been with the Skywalkers. She's choosing that identity.

I've said elsewhere I wouldn't mind if she had said 'I'm just Rey'. Embracing the nobody status to make a new legacy that wasn't Skywalker or Palpatine.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Since the plot demanded it. Luckily no one told Bail Organa at the end of ROTS.

Maybe he's backing him up exactly since and because of that! He doesn't want a repeat of having been forgotten and having to become friends again from scratch. Makes a lot of sense actually.

11 hours ago, Arpy said:

I've said elsewhere I wouldn't mind if she had said 'I'm just Rey'. Embracing the nobody status to make a new legacy that wasn't Skywalker or Palpatine.

Maybe she could've chosen the surname "Skypatine", representing the balance between the light (the Skywalkers) and the dark side of the Force (the Palpatines) she achieved on herself and amongst the galaxy.

On 12/25/2019 at 10:13 AM, Holko said:

What was that Klaud thing?

It's weird, Klaud was barely on the movie. I remember seeing him at the Falcon early on the movie and then not anymore. Maybe he was originally conceived as Disney's great merchandising character based on Star Wars of the year (a la BB-8), but then, seeing his penis-like shape, they opted for the much more family friendly (and meme friendly) Baby Yoda?

And, actually, what the hell happened to BB-8? Was he even on TROS?

I'm with @Trent B here.

When I first saw The Last Jedi, I already liked it quite a bit; especially for doing the unexpected.

The way I see it, TROS is Disney caving into the pressure of toxic internet fanboys.

They lost a lot of my respect by returning to the route of predictability.

Overfull story, undoing a lot of what came before and visual epic-ness far in excess of the emotional power.

I love me some space battles, but this was more "animators got carried away with the copy/paste functionality".

Who even were all those Sith audience members?!?

I sincerely hope Rian Johnson will get to make another Star Wars movie.

Clearly the one he made was not perfect, but it had a pretty clean look, very stylish at times and the story had some deep, creative thought applied to it.

Shouldn't be too surprised, I suppose.

JJ Abrams made Star Trek Into Darkness too, which also struck me as being particularly inappropriate.

There are definitely parts of this movie to appreciate, but really it could and should have been so much better.

Specifically, more creative, more emotionally satisfying and less "following the crowd".

2017 Beauty and the Beast all over again.

Star Wars: Disney removes same-sex kiss from The Rise of Skywalker in Singapore
New film has first same-sex kiss in franchise’s history

Disney has removed a brief scene of two women kissing from Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker in Singapore.

The film features the first same-sex kiss in the franchise’s history, and is shown in a flash when two women embrace among a crowd of characters.

Singapore’s media regulatory body told the BBC that Disney cut the scene to avoid it receiving a higher age rating. Without the kiss, the film is rated PG-13 in Singapore.

“The applicant has omitted a brief scene, which under the film classification guidelines would require a higher rating,” said a spokesperson from Infocomm Media Development Authority.

The kiss reportedly went uncensored in China, but was removed in the United Arab Emirates.

In Singapore, same-sex marriages are not recognised and gay sex is illegal.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-same-sex-kiss-scene-lgbt-disney-singapore-a9259146.html

9 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

When I first saw The Last Jedi, I already liked it quite a bit; especially for doing the unexpected.

The way I see it, TROS is Disney caving into the pressure of toxic internet fanboys.

Oh, next to this film, The Last Jedi - a film I mildly enjoy - is friggin' Citizen Kane.

2 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

I'm with @Trent B here.

LOL Jesus Christ

They "gave in" by producing a nonsensical, badly paced, bad acted, going nowhere drivel. Because clearly that's what "fanboys" wanted. 

This "poor Disney" and "poor Rian Johnson" talk is horrid. Here's a guy who by his own admittance wanted to troll the fans by "giving them less what they want, and more of what we want" (Mark Hamill quote), and his response is "bad bad fans, I intentionally didn't do what you wanted, but fuck you for wanting it". 

Disney outright told fans they weren't welcome, that Star Wars needs to go "beyond" the fandom. 

What world exactly do we live in, where companies produce shit, and blame the consumer for rejecting it? Like you have to appreciate and thank mother Disney for making it, no matter how flawed, terrible or agenda ridden it is because that's all you get? 

Sounds like a Russia ca. 100 years ago way of movie making.

On 12/25/2019 at 12:00 AM, Quintus said:

After the flagrant open discussion seen in the other threads here over the last couple of days, it doesn't take Hercule Poirot to figure out that Rey is obviously of Palpatine lineage.

So since major open spoilers are now considered "fine" on JWFan, I'll just say "thanks" for saving me the time and effort in ever seeing the final part of the series. Right on 👌

But it's fine. We can all ignore the traditional forum etiquette, after all. So yeah, it'll be open season from me from now on! Beware!

Text book Quintus!

I have no sympathy for anyone who wanted to go see the new Star Wars film unspoiled, and then chose to open Star Wars threads on a discussion forum before having gone out to see it.  If you want to remain unspoiled for this movie, it isn't hard to do so.