The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

For some reason the Force and Jedi became mystical, legendary figures only twenty years after the Purge in RotS. Then after RotJ, the Jedi despite Luke starting a new Order, recede further into obscurity to the point that characters in The Mandalorian don't even know what the Force is.

Lucas messed up forty years ago.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

For some reason the Force and Jedi became mystical, legendary figures only twenty years after the Purge in RotS.

It’s clear the original timeline had the Jedi eradicated and republic toppled at least three decades before the events of the original Star Wars.

Lucas needs to rectify this by digitally adding in lines to ANH about the Jedi and the Clone Wars.

#Lucaspleasemakethespecialereditions #swspecialereditions

TFA = finding the map to Skywalker so Rey can confront Luke at the end of the film
TROS = finding the map to  Palpatine so Rey can confront him at the end of the film.

With huge Death Stars and planet killing Star Destroyers!

6 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

The Sith have a language? Why does Darth Sidious speak English?

Because everyone he talks to speaks English?  Who else is going to speak Sith?

Was this a serious question or sarcasm?

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

finding the map to  Palpatine so Rey can confront him at the end of the film.

With huge Death Stars and planet killing Star Destroyers!

Damn, the plot of this film is so forgettable that until just now I've all but forgotten that all the ships in Palpatine's fleet have Death Star technology. So they're not actual Death Stars but its the same idea. Sigh...

So the Death Star has been a major plot point in five of these films: Star Wars, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Rise of Skywalker. Damn!

20 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Damn, the plot of this film is so forgettable that until just now I've all but forgotten that all the ships in Palpatine's fleet have Death Star technology. So they're not actual Death Stars but its the same idea. Sigh...

And this movie has FIFTEEN THOUSANDS of them!

I loved the bit where Rey fired her electricity at the ship and thought she'd accidentally murdered Chewie. You could really sense the instant guilt she was feeling when she screamed his name and looked like she could have melted into a puddle in the ground. Great scene!

Yes, I get that, but the characters saw him going on that transport.

Plus, its kind of hard to hide another transport in Wadi Rum.

Movie's borderline incoherent!

Yeah I and everyone else whine about how Chewie is almost instantly shown to be alive, and revealed to the characters as well, but the actual switcheroo is really confusing too. Wasn't there only one transport? I guess the shot of Chewie being taken to the transport was close enough that it could allow for sleight of hand, for another transport, but where the hell would that have been? And we only saw one transport take off, and the characters reacted to Chewie going into the one we saw. 

Don't anyone compare this to Raiders!

8 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Don't anyone compare this to Raiders!

I mean, it is trying to be Raiders, which is sad not only because it falls flat, but also because the last thing I want in a bad movie is for it to remind me of a much, much better movie.

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I mean, it is trying to be Raiders, which is sad not only because it falls flat, but also because the last thing I want in a bad movie is for it to remind me of a much better movie.

Oh this movie reminded me of Raiders loads of times! Particularly this moment.

NlR.gif

It also reminded me of The Return of the King (the motivational speech before the final battle), of Endgame (the spaceship battle) and of Deathly Hallows Part 2, which also feels like its rushing to the finish line.

12 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I mean, it is trying to be Raiders, which is sad not only because it falls flat, but also because the last thing I want in a bad movie is for it to remind me of a much, much better movie.

Why a finale of a much-loved series should aim to mimic any other movie is certainly beyond MY understanding.

I'd have said, it should've been very much its own thing.

14 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Indian productions feature predominantly Indian people, Chinese productions feature predominantly chinese people, European productions predominantly feature European people, and Anglo American productions feature predominantly Anglo American people. Because that's what the majority of the respective population identifies with.

It is true that is the current state of the world.

And from a historical perspective, that makes sense.

But the future isn't history. And we can move beyond that.

It was more convincing for the characters than the audience and that's all I cared about - we had their reactions.

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

A death less convincing than Aragorn's in Two Towers. 

19 minutes ago, Arpy said:

It was more convincing for the characters than the audience and that's all I cared about - we had their reactions.

Aragorn's death was a pivotal moment for the story arc because he came back to announce the coming of Saruman's army, and a pivotal moment for Eowyn's dissapointed love for Aragorn, when she saw Legolas giving the Evenstar back to him. 

Chewy's death was a tired plot twist cliché to evoke a cheap shallow reaction for less than 5 minutes, and that was it. 

19 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Shocking sacrilegious opinion - would anyone really care if Chewie died? Seriously?

For a second there, I was quite shocked.

Seemed a bit sudden to kill him off before he had the chance to do much of anything in the trilogy.

Then, as it turned out, many other characters concluded the trilogy, barely doing much of anything either.

Lando showed up for a double Deus Ex Machina bit, but that's about it.

What was even the purpose of those brand new characters?

And I can't remember a thing that famous R2-D2 did in TROS at all.

9 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Yeah I and everyone else whine about how Chewie is almost instantly shown to be alive, and revealed to the characters as well, but the actual switcheroo is really confusing too. Wasn't there only one transport? I guess the shot of Chewie being taken to the transport was close enough that it could allow for sleight of hand, for another transport, but where the hell would that have been? And we only saw one transport take off, and the characters reacted to Chewie going into the one we saw. 

The first time Finn looks over at Chewie being loaded on the transport, there is a second one in frame. That is the only time you see both. Every shot after just shows the one with Chewie, and then only one takes off from behind the rocks, and Rey destroys that one. 

So, technically, it's all above board, but of course it's shot and edited to be tricky and make us think (for about 2 mins) that Chewie is dead. I think what is wrong with this that the movie does not play it either as dramatic irony (we know from the beginning that Chewie is safe) or tragic for long enough (as in Marion in Raiders). Why does the audience actually need to know Chewie is ok? Couldn't we just find out when Rey sees the star destroyer above Kajimi and tells Finn/Poe and us at the same time? Then we can see Chewie going into interrogation and hear what happened. 

And if we want to pile on, who the heck remembered Zorrii was on Kajimi when Poe learns it was destroyed? Why not have him say something so we can get some grief from him? Then when she (and Babu) show up at the final battle, it's another relief for the audience too?

50 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Shocking sacrilegious opinion - would anyone really care if Chewie died? Seriously?

I always felt like Chewie got the short end of the stick with his portrayal in all these films. 

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

Aragorn's death was a pivotal moment for the story arc because he came back to announce the coming of Saruman's army, and a pivotal moment for Eowyn's dissapointed love for Aragorn, when she saw Legolas giving the Evenstar back to him. 

Chewy's death was a tired plot twist cliché to evoke a cheap shallow reaction for less than 5 minutes, and that was it. 

I don't disagree with you there, but I never got the impression Aragorn died there, hence why I thought it was more important to see the other characters' reactions (like Legolas, Gimli and Eowyn as you mention). That's why I felt his return was more dramatic because we're waiting to see their reactions, for the reunion and payoff.

With Chewie - It wasn't going to work either way, perhaps if they brought Chewie back at the very end in some surprise reveal, and not five minutes later!

Or switch Chewie for Finn, make the stakes higher! 

Yeah, I liked Threepio most in this one.

Palpatine's reanimated corpse on a crane sucking the life out of people and trying to transfer his soul to Rey is probably the worst writing in the history of SW movies.

I loved the idea of the crane - if his body was fucked from falling down a chasm, it makes sense if he needs to be hooked up to life support and be mobile. He could've been in a floating chair I suppose.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-rose-tico-kelly-marie-tran-1202199542/

Sounds about right. It felt to me not so much that Rose was sidelined (although to some extent she sure was) but that her role (like so much of this film) was chopped to pieces in the editing.

It also seems to me that the attempt to keep Leia in this film proved too much of a burden. They really should have cut their loses with that, and spent their time and money on other parts of the film that clearly needed it.