The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

18 minutes ago, Remco said:

it seems clear that the reddit damage control also comes from BR just to make JJ look good

No, I just think it gives fans something to cling to. They have someone to blame in the form of Kathleen Kennedy, and they have a hope to cling to as for there being a version of this film that isn't crappy waiting somewhere just to see the light of day. It makes them feel better about the series they love in much the same way that Lucas' rhetoric of "I had this 300-page script which I divided into six movies" used to do.

Its a nice sentiment, and surely there's some truth to it - a version of The Rise of Skywalker that actually takes its time will most likely be much more enjoyable - but I don't think anything of this sort can really save the movie. The Emperor being alive and behind everything is still moronic, Rey being a Palpatine is still dumb, Kylo being redeemed is still despicable, etc...

37 minutes ago, Arpy said:

All these films are moronic fantasy tales.

Fantasy isn’t inherently moronic, and neither are the best Star Wars films. And even when they are moronic, at least they’re - by and large - moralistic. This film isn’t: It may think it is, but it’s not.

I seriously don't have the energy to think critically of these films as I once did. They're meant to be family flicks with magic and laserswords - that's the Star Wars I grew up with.

Williams is probably trying to impress her with his musical knowledge, but Daisy is just getting bored with him talking endlessly about modulations, perfect fifths, the difference between a tonal and a atonal music, etc. That's what happens when nerds try to win the girl, lol.

So why does Kylo Ren use 2 different TIE silencers?

He has one at the beginning of the movie that he puts that Sith Wayfinder in and that Rey steals after the lightsaber fight and finds the Wayfinder inside after she burns it

Why does he have a different one on Passana that Rey destroys and didn't have the wayfinder inside?

And that abandoned ship on Passena that was used to capture Rey's parents.

How can a ship in perfect working order stay abandoned on a planet so many years in plain sight on top of a hill. In the SW universe it doesn't take long before Jawas or other scavengers strip them for parts..

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

He probably pocketed the wayfinder after the first crash and put it in his new whip later.

ah, so he built a new one .

12 minutes ago, mstrox said:

They all tried, and they all got swallowed by the quicksand bog and munched by a big sand serpent!

well, the quicksand only covered a small area and wan't near the ship .Luke and Lando would have fell in it

5 minutes ago, King Mark said:

ah, so he built a new one .

A new Force power discovered!

He might have learned that with Palpy, which probably spent the last 30 years building the 10,000 Star Destroyers that can pilot themselves.

If you spend this long harping on it, you may as well have looked it up.

Kylo's custom TIE Silencer, rectangular body, mostly black, uberelongated wings and all

star-wars-kylo-ren-tie-silencer-3d-model

Probably some elite TIE, way different model building on the TIE Advanced like TFA's special forces TIEs build on the original hexagonal ones.

Screenshot_20200108-190313.png

14 hours ago, King Mark said:

And that abandoned ship on Passena that was used to capture Rey's parents.

How can a ship in perfect working order stay abandoned on a planet so many years in plain sight on top of a hill. In the SW universe it doesn't take long before Jawas or other scavengers strip them for parts..

Perhaps there aren't Jawas or scavengers on Pasaana? Perhaps it's not a shithole like Tatooine.

14 hours ago, King Mark said:

Quick! Look over there! We're on a new planet now! Look at this new masked character!

What's the logic in climbing atop some gigantic cliff in scorching heat, wearing multiple layers of heavy clothes including vision-impairing masks, to search for people in the middle of a gigantic desert, when you could just fly over it in a ship....?

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

What exactly is the logic of exhausting yourself climbing to the top of some gigantic mountain in scorching heat, wearing multiple layers of heavy clothes, just to search for people on a gigantic desert planet, when you could just fly over it in a ship...?

But then they wouldn't have been able to pose like this for their heavy metal album cover!

I really liked it, personally. Was exactly what I imagined he would score for them too.

That double timpani would sound amazing with the subwoofer maxed up!

I wonder if it was something done in post - like they took a part of score from somewhere else? It's not terrible, but it was the only part of the score that wasn't mixed lower than everything else and unfortunately wasn't the best part for me. 

Nothing would surprise me after POA. But even though it's unusual for JW, I'm not discounting it's how he scored it.

Anyone unfamiliar with Munich would never pick JW as the composer just by listening to the electronic cues. So I think he was just inspired by this short little sequence and scored it the way his instincts told him (and it's a great example of Williams mixing contemporary with traditional scoring).

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So I think he was just inspired by this short little sequence and scored it the way his instincts told him (and it's a great example of Williams mixing contemporary with traditional scoring).

It's Williams' Third Stream influences shining through.

They never explain who or what they are, or why Kylo Ren is called 'Ren'. Is it like a play on Ben (Ren) Solo (Kylo + Sky-Walker)? 

Did he belong to the knights, form them etc? If Kylo Ren wears a costume inspired by Vader's does that mean the Knights of Ren are Darth Vader/ Kylo Ren cosplayers?

59 minutes ago, Arpy said:

They never explain who or what they are, or why Kylo Ren is called 'Ren'. Is it like a play on Ben (Ren) Solo (Kylo + Sky-Walker)? 

Did he belong to the knights, form them etc? If Kylo Ren wears a costume inspired by Vader's does that mean the Knights of Ren are Darth Vader/ Kylo Ren cosplayers?

I'm sure all these important details will be explained in some book or something, years later when nobody cares anymore. A bit like Sifo-Dyas (I figured it was a proxy of Sidious). 

Just went on a Wookiepedia bender and found out there is some information on the Knights of Ren, and what's more is that Ben's associations with them are more interesting and would've been great plot points in the films! Huge missed opportunity there.

I actually thought the TLJ “Elite Praetorian Guard” were indistinguishable from the Knights of Ren.

But yeah, they should have just been left out of TRoS, too, if they were just going to be mowed down. Maybe just hinted at again, as they had been in TFA. Leave them mysterious and possibly for use in the future. Let the galaxy feel large.