The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

The transference of objects through the force was one of the aspects I loved about the film. I guess the bond between Rey and Ben is what allows them to access those powers.

I can hear fans say ' That's not how the Force works!' But, hey! How the fuck does anyone know how the Force should work or behave - it's a mystical power, shrouded in mystery. 

44 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The transference of objects through the force was one of the aspects I loved about the film. I guess the bond between Rey and Ben is what allows them to access those powers.

I can hear fans say ' That's not how the Force works!' But, hey! How the fuck does anyone know how the Force should work or behave - it's a mystical power, shrouded in mystery. 

A Force dyad, that’s how we call it.

😁

Saw it, found it much better than TLJ but the third act drags the film down. 

And I hate the redemption arc, much like I did in ROTJ. 

TFA remains the best film of the new trilogy.

9 hours ago, Demodex said:

It's funny that I never notice faults in movies until someone points them out to me on the internet.  The only thing I don't like, which started in TLJ, is teleporting objects through the Force. 

Yeah this is why thes internet ruins movies and our enjoyment of them. Too many loud nitpickers.

I think we need an extended edition much like The Lord of the Rings films, that restores the cut material. Palpatine, Finn, Poe, Jannah, Zori, Rey and Ben - even Hux - needs more breathing room. That task would mean a lot of effort to alternate the pacing to keep a satisfying momentum from story point to story point. Take the speeder chase sequence - it would've gone on longer and the Knights of Ren should've been chasing them to up the ante. More stakes, more fun.

Problem is the pacing throughout the first act is too slow and I wonder if that's because the lead up to Palpatine's return was deflated so early on. It's not so much the fact that we know Palpatine's returned, just the dramatic framing of the reveal that could be refined; the opening with Kylo going to Exegol and seeing Palpatine was all awesome - but once that's established, all the tension and mystique fall away because Palpatine's presence is diminished until the finale.

Part of the frustration and admittedly, the love I have for the film is being able to see where things could be pulled apart, taken further and I think the fact that so much was cut (and we can tell) is an indication that the filmmakers had these things in mind but for time, creative choices, whatever, they were forced to cut it down to the bone. The score suffers too - the Trio Theme is so carefully constructed and given special placement by Williams that I wouldn't be surprised if it was featured in a different cut of the film more prominently, and it fell to editing, reshoots, and tracking.

10 hours ago, Demodex said:

My only other gripe is that I wish the space battle was more epic.  Couldn't see much and felt underwhelming compared to the end of ROTJ's. 

I think the best space battle was Rogue One

I saw the film a second time today. I liked it even more the second time (as did my sister, but my wife felt that knowing the plot made it less fun for her). 

First, I saw it in a bigger theater with the volume louder and the surrounds better balanced. That was great because I could hear the music mix a lot better, especially early. (Also, the Jedi speaking to Rey was much better this time and I could clearly distinguish each one.) With that, and also being able to focus more widely on the experience and not just the story, I have to say I really liked the music agains the film.

For sure, as pointed out in this and other threads, editing was extensive. A few of the tracked music really jumped out at me (particularly on the Death Star - the mix and sound was so different of the score). In other places, such as the AotC stuff, I was less sure if it was tracked with some sweeteners added or just rerecorded to match. Either way, these elements sometimes worked well to remind me of the other movies (as a leitmotif should) and sometimes, they didn't. But backing off that knowledge and just enjoying the flow of the music, it really worked. In particular, the last third of the movie felt very satisfying musically. 

I really like the "we go together" music where it shows up, and I enjoy the Rey/Poe/Finn moments which that music anchors. 

I wish I could take notes in the theater though because I had tons of notes at the time of things I noticed!

Nobody says “Sheev.” Nobody says “Darth Sidious.”  (Cc: Justin).  The Emperor runs (hangs?) around frequently referring to himself as Emperor Palpatine, which sounds weird because I don’t think that phrase had actually been said out loud on film until this point.  He doesn’t look like the weird lady with the monkey eyes from Empire.  Overall, a lot of missed opportunities.

Thinking back at the movie, it’s a bit weird how little reference is made to the prequels - just seeing Mustafar at the beginning, the Emperor quoting himself from ROTS to handwave his return, and a few voices of Jedi’s past.  You’d think if they were truly trying to wrap up the 9-movie saga, they’d have a prequel planet or two along with Bespin and Endor at the end - a Naboo or Coruscant.

Overall positive but mixed enough on this movie to engage in a little light criticism I guess.

There are story elements, mostly around trying to work around Fisher's death that drag narratively - it all happens fast, with no actual story going anywhere meaningful which is why I said it was 'slow'. So it's about cutting and recutting, the natural duration of scenes and ultimately the pacing that needs reworking.

15 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Well, it's official, folks: $374 mil. worldwide, opening w/e, equals disaster. It'll be lucky if it take 1 bil., total. Oh, dear.

More than enough dough to keep Disney pushing on.

All relative. The variables change, and the inflated expectations of the Marvel era will find a natural end when the first of those will miraculously drop below the billion $ mark. Make a movie people feel affection for and it will have legs.

If they hadn't killed the classic characters off and focused on these kids nobody cares about, maybe they'd have gotten better returns. These movies are basically crap when you subtract the Chewie we're home element. This one was like, hey, remember Lando??

3 hours ago, publicist said:

All relative. The variables change, and the inflated expectations of the Marvel era will find a natural end when the first of those will miraculously drop below the billion $ mark. Make a movie people feel affection for and it will have legs.

Sure, we just need to adjust our expectations, right? I mean, can't be that the movies are terrible and that Disney should wake up, touch their balls, and step up their game. 

Nah. 

Bottom line, when even those dull Marvel movies outdraw your Star Wars film one after the other, you fucked up. 

17 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Sure, we just need to adjust our expectations, right? I mean, can't be that the movies are terrible and that Disney should wake up, touch their balls, and step up their game. 

Nah. 

Bottom line, when even those dull Marvel movies outdraw your Star Wars film one after the other, you fucked up. 

We are talking about inflated box office expectations, which have nothing to do with these particular movies' *quality*. Better movies probably would be less successful, anyway.

Another excerpts from Wookipedia, for the slow learners.

Weakened, Rey hears the voices of past Jedi encouraging her and lending her the strength to carry on. The palpable body furiously unleashes a storm of directed Force lightning against the Jedi, but Rey is able to deflect it back to him, killing him once and for all. Rey is fatally wounded, though Ben is able to transfer his life into her, sacrificing himself for her.

And the Official theory about Anakin's father:

During the Naboo crisis of 32 BBY, Plagueis and Palpatine became aware of the powerfully Force-sensitive Anakin Skywalker, a Human slaveboy from Tatooine who stood at a vergence in the Force and who had been born around the same time that they had saturated the galaxy with the dark side a decade earlier. Plagueis became convinced that the midi-chlorians, unwilling to comply to his and Sidious's "unnatural" usurpation of the power of the Force, had struck back in retaliation, conceiving a savior to ultimately destroy the Sith: the prophesied Chosen One,[1] whom Plagueis had blasphemously endeavored to create, or "father," in the past.[11]

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

Would have been nice if the movie itself gave us a clue. 

I didn't know it was Mustafar - so it's during the day, or some area we've never seen. They gave us no clue!

I guess this is the SW movie on which we see more previously unseen planets than ever, right?

ANH: Tatooine, Yavin (2 new planets)

ESB: Hoth, Dagobar, Bespin (3 new planets)

ROTJ: Tatooine again, Dagobar, Endor (1 new planet)

TPM: Naboo, Tatooine again, Coruscant (2 new planets)

AOTC: Coruscant, Kamino, Naboo, Tatooine, Geonosis (2 new planets)

ROTS: Coruscant, Utapau, Kashyyyk, Mustafar, Polis Massa, Tatooine (4 new planets)

TFA: Jakku, that planet with Maz' castle, D'Qar, Starkiller, Ahch-To (5 new planets)

TLJ: Canto Bight, Crait (2 new planets)

TROS: Exegol, Resistance new base planet, frost planet where Finn and Poe meet the First Order spy, Pasaana, Kijimi, Kef Bir, Ahch-To again, Tatooeine again (6 new planets)

At the very least I liked the design of the new planets. Exegol is creepy and cult-like, Pasaana has a different few than both Tatooine and Jakku, Kijimi resembles a medieval village and Kef Bir is beautifully shot.

In The Rise of Skywalker?

• Mustafar
  • Exegol
  • Sinta Glacier Colony
  • Ajan Kloss
  • Pasaana
  • Kef Bir
  • Ahch-To
  • Kijimi
  • Tatooine

And at the end of the movie we see shots of:

• Bespin - Cloud City