"Space Battalions" by James Brett used in Star Wars promotional videos

aj_vader

Here we go again! 

Idk, I don’t think it’s him. Usually when it turns out to be the real deal, I feel like saying it’s either JW or the single best imitation I’ve ever heard and this isn’t that.

I don't know, I'm hearing a _lot_ of Williams trademarks in there. That major second figure in the lowish strings, the syncopated crashes and how it interplays with the strings, the chromatic trumpet line (preceded by a brass doubling that sounds like it's edited from an earlier part of the tune), those quick-flash fanfare dissonances at the end.

Remember when there was that Last Jedi ride with Here They Come and we were all confused by it? I'm wondering if this a commercial edit of a cue, that key of the Star Wars theme included. There was a bit of sheet music shown a couple of months ago that looked very marchy, does someone have that picture readily available? 

12 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Doesn't sound like synths AT ALL.

Agreed. And while I’m no musicologist like falstaft or a couple others here, my ear tells me that’s JW original material. Something about the texture of the punchy brass chord pairs and the string section running up the scale between them.. either that’s JW or the first composer to go beyond pastiche and write exactly like him.

45 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

It reminds me of the music in that commercial everyone thought was Williams during TLJ days.

You mean the one that used The Spark and few here believed it to be Williams but I was convinced it was the instant I heard how badass the ostinato was?

It sounds just like Williams to me.  If it is not him, then I will ask the same question as I did with that Verizon commercial: why does this music even exist?  I doubt it was written for the commercials themselves 

On July 27, I posted this:

"In anticipation for Star Wars, Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker, I began watching the entire Star Wars Saga. In addition, I have been reading the novels and graphic novels. This is in chronological order, of course. I've read Master and Apprentice, Darth Maul, watched Episode I: The Phantom Menace, read Obi-Wan and Anakin, Queen's Shadow, watched Episode II: Attack of the Clones, read Mace Windu: Jedi of the Republic, watched The Clone Wars (waiting for the final season to premiere on Disney+ is another thing to look forward to), listened to the audio-book Dooku: Jedi Lost, read the graphic novel series Age of the Republic: Heroes and Villians, read Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, read Dark Disciple and watched Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. After that, I'll read Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith, read Ahsoka while listening to the audio-book version, read Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel, Lords of the Sith, Rise of the Empire, Most Wanted, watch Solo: A Star Wars Story, listen to the audio-book Pirate's Price, read Kanan, Thrawn, Thrawn: Alliances, Thrawn: Treason, watch Rebels, read Leia: Princess of Alderaan, Rebel Rising, Guardians of the Whills, watch Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, watch Episode IV: A New Hope, read From a Certain Point of View, read the graphic novel series Darth Vader, Star Wars, Lando, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Vader: Dark Visions, read Lost Stars, Inferno Squadron, Heir to the Jedi, Twilight Company, watch Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, read the graphic novel series Age of Rebellion: Heroes and Villains, read The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure, Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure, Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo Adventure, watch Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, read Shattered Empire, Alphabet Squadron, Aftermath, Aftermath: Life Debt, Aftermath: Empire's End, watch The Mandalorian (when it debuts on Disney+), read Last Shot, Bloodline, The Legends of Luke Skywalker, Phasma, Before the Awakening, read Cobalt Squadron while listening to the audio-book version, read the graphic novel series Poe Dameron, watch Resistance, watch Episode VII: The Force Awakens, read the graphic novel Captain Phasma, read Cobalt Squadron while listening to the audio-book version, watch Episode VIII: The Last Jedi, read the graphic novel series Age of Resistance: Heroes and Villains, read The Rise of Kylo Ren, the graphic novel series Allegiance, read Spark of the Resistance, Resistance Reborn, and Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire. Then it will be time for the grand finale, Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker!

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I'll be going to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge from December 12th through 15th. I'll be reading Galaxy's Edge and A Crash of Fate to learn a bit about the history of Black Spire Outpost.

I am able to make some use of my spare time to do all of this before December 20th.

Yeah, Star Wars is my favorite saga.

A grand and epic story spanning three distinct eras, great characters, unique settings, and of course the music of Maestro John Williams."

Now: Wow. Two months left. Eight weeks left. Right now, I am on Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. Still a ways to go, but the timing lines up perfectly. I am so excited.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

For those who want to relive the discussions

Dear Darth, no! They're 100% the same as this thread anyway and it's too much already!

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

You mean the one that used The Spark and few here believed it to be Williams but I was convinced it was the instant I heard how badass the ostinato was?

No, I meant the Verizon one. The orchestration here sounds a bit weak for Williams much like the music in the Verizon commercial... it’s lacking something that only Williams knows how to add and make right. 

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Weird, none of these seem to be the YouTube link I remember responding to in relation to the then unheard Spark motif, which I definitely remember posting that I loved and hoped it turned out to be from the film. Can anyone else find it?

1 hour ago, Tom said:

It sounds just like Williams to me.  If it is not him, then I will ask the same question as I did with that Verizon commercial: why does this music even exist?  I doubt it was written for the commercials themselves 

It was written for a stock music company of course. There are hundreds of them out there: APM, Pond5, X-Ray Dog, Immediate Music, the list goes on and on. I myself sometimes write music for Pond5, which is where the Discovery Channel and History channel get most of their music. Not every piece of music is written for a specific project.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

I was convinced it was the instant I heard how badass the ostinato was?

You sure about that?

On 10/10/2017 at 4:53 AM, Quintus said:

It isn't Williams btw. 

On 10/10/2017 at 7:15 AM, Quintus said:

I wasn't completely sure last time around, but on this one it blatantly isn't him. 

~

27 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Weird, none of these seem to be the YouTube link I remember responding to in relation to the then unheard Spark motif, which I definitely remember posting that I loved and hoped it turned out to be from the film. Can anyone else find it?

Right here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27991-nissan-car-commercial/

On 12/2/2017 at 7:36 PM, Quintus said:

I'd love that basoon ostinato to be a major new signature in this movie, because it's cool as hell. But it probably isn't anything. 

Yeah, that seems like something that would appeal to some news show looking to fill ten happy minutes at the end of a broadcast.

For the record, I say it's fake.  It pushes too many of our Williams buttons.  If not, great.  It sounds good.  But I don't buy it.

I think it's Williams, the last 5 seconds of the piece sounds like authentic Williams

At this point anything is possible lots of music is recorded

Anthony Daniels might have requested Williams since he's a big fan I think

that's the Verison commercial with a more "pure" version of The Spark .I was pretty sure it was Williams when I heard it. When I posted about it here you guys said it was in the trailer but I hadn't noticed it there .(edit: it was the Nissan commercial I heard)