"Space Battalions" by James Brett used in Star Wars promotional videos

aj_vader

Naw, that’s not JW. And it sounds synthy, right from those first string hits. I rate it lower than Haab and Newmaster, though higher than most of Galaxy’s Edge.

5 minutes ago, aviazn said:

Naw, that’s not JW. And it sounds synthy, right from those first string hits. I rate it lower than Haab and Newmaster, though higher than most of Galaxy’s Edge.

Salty!

30 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

Lower than Haab and Newmaster, and higher than most of Galaxy's Edge?

That's an empty set.

It’s true, I’d rather listen to Star Wars Kinect than most of Galaxy’s Edge!

I know I’m an outlier on GE, but all that slow dithering around in the strings doesn’t do much for me. But it has its moments, I’ll admit.

11 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

I tried to post the original video on the Star Wars Leaks sub where people would actually be excited, but it is still awaiting a green light.

I then posted my trailer with the theme on on the general Star Wars sub, but it simply got drowned in the mass of posts  (it didn't help that videos can't be embedded there)

Not a single comment on Twitter concerns the music. I wrote in priv to those who posted it, but they did not reply.

JWFan stands alone.

Yeah, that place is the worst. 

On 10/27/2019 at 1:51 PM, Jay said:

Wow, three pieces from TLJ were in there and practically no one realized.

As for the current topic, definitely going to say no, just sounds a lot like a good piece of library music too me, and I doubt whoever put this together (likely the Total Film team) was given access to Williams's score.

just to be clear are we talking about the music that play in the first 20 seconds? because that does not    sound anything like williams might be wrong though but just doesnt have any of his trademarks i should know my dad is john williams 

Check that trailer again. When Anthony's face isn't showing, it's C-3PO that's talking. When his face is showing, it's him talking. Weird.

45 minutes ago, Pando said:

Check that trailer again. When Anthony's face isn't showing, it's C-3PO that's talking. When his face is showing, it's him talking. Weird.

it's amazing  he managed to stay skinny enough to fit in the costume all his life

I think the music sounds very much alike the march we heard last year during the Verizon (?) commercial that turned out to be a mystery... It certainly wasn’t part of the TLJ score. Same composer?

5 minutes ago, Sandor said:

I think the music sounds very much alike the march we heard last year during the Verizon (?) commercial that turned out to be a mystery... It certainly wasn’t part of the TLJ score. Same composer?

On 10/27/2019 at 4:51 PM, Jay said:

I don't know... It has a synth sound that don't like but the melody could be a good imitation of Wiliams. In any case I need longer tracks to recognise Williams...

The last 30 seconds are not synth, no way. It sounds less synthy than some real instruments process by JXL or Lorne Balfe (and I mean no disrespect, it’s a style I happen to appreciate depending on the movie) 

I compose exclusively with some of the most realistic virtual instruments you can get, and this sounds way better. It sounds completely orchestral to me, but the sound is highly processed which gives it a "synthy" sound.

It sounds synthy due the quality of the video. The video compression or audio compression altering the sound a bit. Even the main title in the first half sounded processed. I was skeptical all the way through until he stopped talking and let the trumpets/strings Q&A passage come through. That short passage is definitely something to think about.

I’ll say it again, there *is* synth in there. Hear the percussion! 

Amazing how we can sometimes have discussions here about the LSO vs. LA orchestra  when some people can’t even distinguish fake from real instruments.

Okay, 

I think the first part (after the pitched down main titles) sounds like samples, the more it goes through towards the end it sounds less like samples. The programming in the last few seconds is fantastic if that part isn't real. Those last few bars are the bit that throw me from thinking it's a real recording. But if I have to put money on it i'm saying that it's samples.