"Space Battalions" by James Brett used in Star Wars promotional videos

aj_vader

1 hour ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Someone on reddit suggested that Williams composed a new march for the Emperor because The Imperial March belonged to Vader---who turned on the Emperor, turned to the Light Side, and is dead. And the new, grand menace still needs a big, evil theme.

Meanwhile, it frees the Imperial March or Anakin's Theme for some other use. Don said that it comes back, but who knows who is it going to play for? Maybe for Kylo---finally!

The Imperial March will always be for Vader and references to him (like when we see his melted mask). I’d be shocked if we ever hear Anakin’s theme again.

Meanwhile, the Emperor already has a theme, and it’s been his theme through pretty much the whole saga. It may not be a “March”, but he doesn’t need a new theme.

9 minutes ago, rpvee said:

Meanwhile, the Emperor already has a theme, and it’s been his theme through pretty much the whole saga. It may not be a “March”, but he doesn’t need a new theme.

We don't really know the context of the film though (I'm not spoiled and don't know the leaks). If I had to guess, most of the film probably deals with the Emperor's forces gathering and builds up to a confrontation with the Emperor himself at the end. Presumably his actual theme will be used heavily then, which will be far less potent if it's already used throughout the rest of the score. 

So they might have decided a separate theme/march for his army could add more weight to his actual theme showing up only at the end? I'm not sure the Emperor's Theme would really work for action material either, so this could have solved a musical problem for JW. I'm sure the Imperial March will show up for the obligatory Vader helmet scene. 

All speculation of course. The film could easily just feature an abundance of the Emperor's Theme throughout, like the Force Theme constantly showing up in TLJ.

5 hours ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Someone on reddit suggested that Williams composed a new march for the Emperor because The Imperial March belonged to Vader---who turned on the Emperor, turned to the Light Side, and is dead. And the new, grand menace still needs a big, evil theme.

Meanwhile, it frees the Imperial March or Anakin's Theme for some other use. Don said that it comes back, but who knows who is it going to play for? Maybe for Kylo---finally!

I cannot believe I am asking for this, but could you provide a link to the reddit comment?  

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

We don't really know the context of the film though (I'm not spoiled and don't know the leaks). If I had to guess, most of the film probably deals with the Emperor's forces gathering and builds up to a confrontation with the Emperor himself at the end. Presumably his actual theme will be used heavily then, which will be far less potent if it's already used throughout the rest of the score. 

So they might have decided a separate theme/march for his army could add more weight to his actual theme showing up only at the end? I'm not sure the Emperor's Theme would really work for action material either, so this could have solved a musical problem for JW. I'm sure the Imperial March will show up for the obligatory Vader helmet scene. 

All speculation of course. The film could easily just feature an abundance of the Emperor's Theme throughout, like the Force Theme constantly showing up in TLJ.

I am the Senate.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Ooh, good pickup. Don't listen to that cue much but I think I know the reference in question. 

Back in the day I had a composer friend of mine, do a rescore of the Yoda vs. Sidious duel, and had him use the theme in action mode, I used an actioney statement of the Emperor theme from the start menu screen music from Super Return of the Jedi as part of the temp.

1 hour ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Back in the day I had a composer friend of mine, do a rescore of the Yoda vs. Sidious duel, and had him use the theme in action mode, I used an actioney statement of the Emperor theme from the start menu screen music from Super Return of the Jedi as part of the temp.

Care to share? Would be curious to hear.

Even in spite of the clever final cue in TPM, I've never considered the Emperor's Theme to be as malleable as, say, the Force Theme. It just works so brilliantly being dark and menacing with a low choral accompaniment, it's hard to imagine it being as versatile as most other themes in the saga.

But I know if any composer can prove me wrong on this one, it's Jay-Dubs.

On 11/20/2019 at 1:36 AM, crumbs said:

So this is interesting. That same company who just seemingly premiered our first taste of music from TROS, features the same music used in the Anthony Daniels videos in another video (the ending, anyway). It sounds like the way JW would end a concert suite in this style. See here at 0:21:

The full concert version better have those last five notes from the version we heard in the ANH promo.  This snippet already sounds incomplete without them.  

i think one of the give-aways is that 'oomph' that the brass has in the snippet above and in the Anthony Daniels retrospectives, it sounds nearly the same as the mixing for TLJ. plus the clear Roses' theme transformed in an interesting way with an actual orchestra that also sounds like the ST style of mixing in the Bell commercial all but confirms that, surprisingly, all these pieces are from TROS.

I'm still pessimistic, but I'm going to be disappointed if that isn't from TROS.

EDIT: I just thought, what if we're getting it all wrong, and it's not a theme for Palpatine's army; but for evil C-3PO? :blink:

3 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

i think one of the give-aways is that 'oomph' that the brass has in the snippet above and in the Anthony Daniels retrospectives, it sounds nearly the same as the mixing for TLJ. plus the clear Roses' theme transformed in an interesting way with an actual orchestra that also sounds like the ST style of mixing in the Bell commercial all but confirms that, surprisingly, all these pieces are from TROS.

It does just sound like JW, doesn’t it? The flute/piccolo flourishes, the punchy brass, and that tasty closing bar, perfectly baked as only he can.

5 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Just for fun I will say that Daisy Ridley mentioned in one of the interviews, that of all the rebel crew, she shares most screentime with C3PO. If she were Darth Rey, he could as well be her butler, CR33PO.

I really like that the legacy droids, or at least Threepio, seem to be getting more screentime in this one. 

even if I go just off pure feeling its evoking the same emotions I had when I first heard snippets of TFA in the star tours video. that being said I was horrendously wrong about the verizon commercial so take my opinion with a grain of salt :p

listening to the ANH retrospective music again, I just realised something that could be a strong indication of it being from TROS. near the end where the strings and woodwinds come in it sounds like its playing a variation of 'March of the Resistance'. which would also support it being apart of a battle cue between the First Order and the Resistance, and if so I'm excited because that means we can have both marches duelling each other like this now that both sides have strong thematic material. anyone else hear this, or am I just going crazy?

11 hours ago, Tom said:

Perhaps, but if this is a new bad-guy march, which is seems to be, then opportunity seized.  

Missed opportunity to pit the First Order March against the Emperor March. 

Yep, a more-edited version of their very first rewatch video, with what seems to be more cobbled material towards the beginning/ middle of the piece, again in a different (but same as the first rewatch video) key than what seems like the ending of a concert arrangement (the one from the ANH rewatch and the Bell commercial).

It’s pretty much clear to me that this recording was made with samples. Especially brass sounds very even and digital. TFA brass also had slightly digital sounding brass, especially the trumpet section but this one doesn’t have the same mixing. Besides, the theme itself is very reminiscent of the Verizon commercial theme from TLJ so I don’t think it’s Williams. Still think it’s the same composer of that commercial theme

You’re right, or they needed to alter the  recording so that it doesn’t match actual content from the movie? I mean, why on earth is the main title also a tone lower?

Just on the first listen, that note at about :44 (and again at :46) in the most recent video sounds like JW. I think it's an A sharp. It doesn't sound like a live orchestra... but I definitely think this is Williams. As someone already suggested, it sounds like a new march for Kylo Ren. A theme for the Knights of Ren, perhaps?

aaaaagh if this doesn’t turn out to be Williams then this will be the biggest tease of all time.

all the different permutations, the reason part that sounds like it was micro-edited - this has to be from the film.

if it’s not then we are being deliberately trolled. at least the snippet of music from that other commercial is most likely Williams given the Rose’s theme statement.

32 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm tempted to go to the Wednesday midnight screenings in Australia just to be the first person to answer this burning question! 

(Emperor's voice) "Do it!"   That being said, I would not be shocked if the score leaks by then.  

4 hours ago, toothless said:

And if it is, I think it will shut the mouth of a great many folks :) 

Nothing can do that! :D

• 2 weeks later...