"Space Battalions" by James Brett used in Star Wars promotional videos

aj_vader

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Romão said:

LEGO have just used this piece for the designer video of their new A-Wing set:

We've already found out what the piece of music is and where it came from. In fact I made a thread about it when I found it, and posted a link to the music.

Just now, Romão said:

I know, I'm well aware. Just though it was curious it was still in Star Wars related content

Ah I didn't realize that was a new video, I thought it was an older one that you just came across. Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

A little late to the party but I'm glad these pieces were found (Space Battalions and Battleforce). Thinking about purchasing them for use in a future project, now. Are there any other potential-license Star Wars pastiche pieces that are out there that rival these ones in quality?

7 hours ago, TheAvengerButton said:

A little late to the party but I'm glad these pieces were found (Space Battalions and Battleforce). Thinking about purchasing them for use in a future project, now. Are there any other potential-license Star Wars pastiche pieces that are out there that rival these ones in quality?

Just look through both APM and Audio Network, there's an infinite supply of music out there. Sorting through it all to find something specific can be pretty time-consuming, but you might find some good pieces of music here and there.

James Brett is a fine composer. I used a few of his tracks for work reasons in the past and I was always pleased to find real musicianship at display. Library cues usually tend to be awkward pastiche of whatever musical genres. The one which are film score-like are usually not very inspired and often they go the safe route of aping the standard RCP-like sound. Brett seems to be one of the stand-out guys in that regard, though.

• 1 month later...

Other pieces in the playlist show resemblance to Williams' work, to the point where the notes are different, but the orchestration (tone and color) is nearly the same.

Yeah that's typically done intentionally since a lot of advertisers like to use music similar to famous pieces of work but obviously without using the actual work. I write stock music sometimes so I find myself doing that quite often as well. Originality doesn't sell well unfortunately. :P

I've heard a lot of stock tracks that pretty shamelessly rip off E.T., Indy, Star Wars, etc - same orchestration, but a different melody.

I suppose the average Joe wouldn't care - they might at worst think 'oh cool, that sounds like E.T.'.

• 6 months later...

Just a head's up that Audio Network seems to have upgraded the sound quality of its preview tracks, which are all now 192 kbps (previously they were around 128kbps).  There are some real treasures, though it takes time to find them.  Joe Kraemer, mentioned elsewhere, has some good orchestral tracks on the site, as does Alex Kovacs, Jerome Leroy, Chris Egan, Paul Mottram, and James Seymour Brett, among others.

I noticed that they'd upgraded all their samples at some point in the middle of last year, and everything sounds perfect as a result.

I also discovered that they don't protect their preview files very carefully (or... at all). If you determine the album and track number for a track, it can be played/downloaded via this URL:

http://content2.audionetwork.com/Preview/tracks/mp3/v5res/ANW3295/01.mp3

There's an album listing (with album numbers) here.

One of the purchase options is a 192kb mp3, which means they're insecurely streaming literally the same file that you can buy. Unfortunately it's still £8 per track for a wav file, but this workaround largely compensates for their removing their 'personal listening' licence a few years ago.

I have tons of their music downloaded in this way, partly to listen, and partly as I use their music a lot in my own videos.

• 4 weeks later...

Audio Network has a new James Brett album called Dragon Quest that I would highly recommend to all John Williams fans.  The cue "The Flight of the Fairies," in particular, has a great Williams vibe.

https://us.audionetwork.com/browse/m/album/dragon-quest_3463