Michael Giacchino tweets about Star Wars

Bilbo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, don’t you see what’s clearly happening here?

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) - Rejected, replaced by Michael Giacchino

Hey, it’s happened to the best of them: Herrmann, Goldsmith, Horner, John Barry. Guess poor Johnny was just overdue…

Oh shit, some random people liked Rogue One's score and that must mean they're some authority or speak for a majority of fans... :sarcasm:

Everyone’s allowed their opinion, even if it’s batshit-crazy and comes from the impaired intellects of zombified screen-starers. Even them. Regrettably.

Ah, I've said something along those lines @crumbs, but I'd like to correct myself. Most of my favourite moments in the score are unreleased or are on the FYC, but the OST still has some highlights that I'd count up there. I'm talking about unreleased cues like Rescued/Yavin IV, The Bazaars of Jedha, What Brings You To Scarif?, and Beach Battle (these may not be the actual cue names, but it's how I refer to them) and stuff on the FYC like Good Luck Little Sister and Project Stardust, the former of which is probably one of the best cues of the score IMO. 

In brief, my opinion is that there's still some great unreleased stuff of higher quality than many tracks on the album. 

Given the trend of Giacchino sessions leaking online, somehow I don't think you'll need to wait long to hear it all.

Though it would be the first score in the series to have a session leak (which is surprising, considering all the ownership changes the scores have had).

Well, that’s a sensible strategy if ever I heard one — let your fan base pay for the weakest parts of your score and save all the good stuff strictly for FYCs or session leaks that only the nerdiest of score nerds will ever hear about or bother to track down.

I've grown accustomed to  every sessions leaking or  instant 2 c.d. deluxe editions except for scores I care  about

Why does Avengers get a 2 hour initial score release and wee never get anything like that for Star Wars

Well, Avengers is tailored to appeal to as many people as possible (although that makes it a bland product).

8 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Why does Avengers get a 2 hour initial score release and wee never get anything like that for Star Wars

At least SW got a 2 CD initial release.

16 hours ago, crumbs said:

Given the trend of Giacchino sessions leaking online, somehow I don't think you'll need to wait long to hear it all.

Though it would be the first score in the series to have a session leak (which is surprising, considering all the ownership changes the scores have had).

Full session leak. A cue from ROTS leaked.

Just now, Holko said:

Nobody. Leave the Saga and aping alone and try lots of different things.

Don't disagree Holko but realistically that's not going to happen; there's a 'Star Wars' formula which is just a little lucrative...

You mean like how they are actually stopping the Episodes for the near future and going in different directions with 2 planned trilogies?

40 minutes ago, Holko said:

Nobody. Leave the Saga and aping alone and try lots of different things.

I think Powell's score for Solo demonstrates this isn't necessarily the case. Finding composers that can successfully channel the essence of Williams' intentions, while making their own mark, seems like the way forward. It's just patently clear that Giacchino was incapable of achieving this in the timeframe he was given (or at all) while Powell absolutely nailed the brief.

It's debatable whether this had anything to do with Williams' personal involvement in Solo. After all, Giacchino had an entire glossary of themes at his disposal for Rogue One, while Powell was handed two specific new Williams themes and filled in the blanks.

I think the ultimate problem with Rogue One is that Gia's attempts at channeling Williams fall flat (or sound awkward/wrong), yet his original material feels stronger but is overshadowed by the Williams reinterpretations.

No one needs to be the Heir Apparent. Not in the sense of doing what Williams has done. It is done anyway, we have it, or will have the 9 films of his. You aren't going to have this ultra classical big orchestral varied scores with tons of themes and incredible chase music once he is gone. Let the composers who come in just do them, then they will succeed in at least that, if you try and get most composers out there to try and match a fraction of what Williams puts in orchestrally in each score, it's just not going to happen, unless they bring in someone who we do not already know about who comes from the Classical world. Williams style right now in Hollywood is seen as too "old school" and not what is in fashion. Everything is cyclical and the rise of big orchestral/classical music in film will come back at some point.

It's like pining for the next Beethoven symphony.

It just is what it is -- one of a kind. Let the next musical legacy be its own creation.

6m4 Heroes Collide (which is just Anakin v Obi-Wan from the OST, without microedits)

I dunno, a few years ago

We keep assuming that the cancelled appearances are because of Star Wars but what if they’re health-related???  What if Star Wars has to be completed by someone else???

*cue panic*

On 7/28/2019 at 12:29 PM, Disco Stu said:

We keep assuming that the cancelled appearances are because of Star Wars but what if they’re health-related???  What if Star Wars has to be completed by someone else???

*cue panic*

Hopefully his recent dinners with Ann-Sophie Mutter etc can suggest all is well!