Fabulin

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Too slow. Shot attention span. Fear of people leaving the theatre after two minutes. Boring, unless opening credits is explosion after explosion.

I guess all those names and their role in making the film means nothing to general movie goers, and probably smacks of Hollyweird narcissism to regular folks.

4 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

I guess all those names and their role in making the film means nothing to general movie goers, and probably smacks of Hollyweird narcissism to regular folks.

I would say it is the regular folks who smack of weird narcissism.

The credits that made me sit up and take notice of cinema as an art firm (not to mention introducing me to the music of someone called John Williams!) are those from THE TOWERING INFERNO. 

The score, plus Fred Konekamp's lush aerial photography, all makes for a very impressive beginning.

Back to the Future, precisely because of the intentional lack of music. Perfectly sets up the impact of the guitar gag, after which we get "The Power of Love" - not score, but a perfect first song for this film - and then the score doesn't even sneak in till Marty's world gets turned upside-down by the entrance of the time machine. For that film, it's the perfect approach.

I'll go classic family films for a couple of my more conventional responses: Mary Poppins and The Wizard of Oz.

13 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Back to the Future, precisely because of the intentional lack of music. Perfectly sets up the impact of the guitar gag, after which we get "The Power of Love" - not score, but a perfect first song for this film - and then the score doesn't even sneak in till Marty's world gets turned upside-down by the entrance of the time machine. For that film, it's the perfect approach.

Interestingly the opening title did have a Silvestri cue that was ultimately rejected.

2 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Interestingly the opening title did have a Silvestri cue that was ultimately rejected.

I love that little logo cue...yet the film is better off without it!

Howard Shore’s LOTR title is a special thing 

A Hard Day’s Night is one of the great openers

Eyes Wide Shut...Shostakovich and NSFW Nicole > Strauss and monkeys

Lots of “no shit” examples come to mind. Godfather, Graduate, Pulp Fiction (loved Once Upon a Time’s too). Boogie Nights with “Best of My Love” is one of the most entertaining fo sho. Goodfellas, “As far back as I can remember...” into “Rags to Riches,” that trombone riff with Scorsese’s accelerated dolly, and the freeze frame?? Dynamite

Pee Wee’s Big Adventure opening credits plus the next few cues are among the all-time “here I am!” moments for a composer, not just announcing a film but a career. Still inspired lunacy.

Of course. Don’t need a YouTube clip, you can hear it:

lion-king-circle-of-life-sunrise.png?w=6

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 3:39 AM, Borodin said:

Princess Mononoke's intro is pretty hard to top musically.

Title screen comes right after 1:01 at the climax.

There are styles similar to this in earlier film, but none as so powerful and legendary. Princess Mononoke's is definitely my favorite intro moment in music.

The 90s brought a lot of purity of sound to film, with new composers and a lot of forgotten gems. Then your more obvious ones:

On 11/2/2019 at 12:58 PM, Kasey Kockroach said:

I swear, most composers, including Powell, including calm ambient composers, are overly-dramatic in place of proper evocation. But aside from that fault, this was not terrible.

On 11/3/2019 at 12:14 AM, Thekthithm said:

???

From the day they arrive on the planet, blinking step into the sun. There's more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than. Hold on. Sorry, that's The Lion King!