Which JW score contains the best expanded/unreleased material?

natedog

Up till now i've only listened to OST's but having purchased my first ever expanded release soundtrack in Minority Report, it got me thinking about other scores from Williams with previously unreleased music.

So I was wondering what is everyone's favourite expanded/unreleased score? And also are there any stand out tracks that you feel should have been included on the OST albums?

For pending expansions, The Force Awakens, considering much of the unreleased 80-90 minutes of music is unknown (JW said he recorded 178 minutes in total, of which only about 93 minutes is available via the OST + FYC).

For scores already expanded, any of Return of the Jedi, Temple of Doom, Hook, Artificial Intelligence or The Lost World for the pure volume of incredible unreleased (even unused) music. My personal favourites being the latter two, considering the other 3 expansions are a complete mess in desperate need of MM's attention.

Most of them. But in a lot of cases it's not just the individual highlights but the whole presentation, experience and structure that make complete scores heaps better than their OSTs.

A truly complete Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Listening to the 2008 Concord release + bootleg tracks makes for a wonderful listen.

I think that Indy score just goes to so many different places thematically, that you really need the subtle progression of having every cue available.

This is where his big franchise-y scores tend to shine the best. TOD and the Potter scores are way high up there for me. The TPM UE gets a lot of flack, and rightfully so, but it does present a wealth of incredible writing not present on the OST. When we eventually get expanded releases for all the Star Wars prequels and sequels, there's going to be a lot of great stuff to discover.

Frankly, I can't think of a Williams expansion I've regretted purchasing. Some of them benefit more from expansion than the others, but as someone who's more into film scores than soundtrack albums per se, I really appreciate getting to hear the full scope of the composer's work on a project - or at least, closer to it than you get with a typical OST.

Not only for the previously missing music itself, but rather how that missing music really tied the whole score together, I would say Dracula and The Lost World are among the very best