Avatar (2009) - Live-to-Projection Concert - World Premiere in London, England on October 2024

SyncMan

I attended an LTP concert of Apollo 13 by the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra and, a few weeks afterwards, I got this email from the orchestra's marketing department where the subject reads...

" Help us plan 2020-2021 Films with Live Orchestra season."

It's a survey where I select the programs that I feel are the most 'favorable.'

Here's what it looks like:
DPO Survey Highlighted.png

All of the LTP concerts I recognize expect the one that is marked in the red box.

I checked these production companies that work on LTP concerts.

None of them do not have Avatar in their roster.

I reached out to the administrative department at the DPO and I have spoken with a member of the marketing department to see if I can have the name of the production company that created the Avatar program.  That person didn't have the information nor would that person be at liberty to provide that information to me. During a three-week period, I've sent emails to a few more members in the development department at the DPO--they are the ones that select  music programs for the DPO to play--to see if they can provide me with that information.  They have not returned my query.

So, now you know what I know.  Maybe some of you members with connections can find-out more information better than me.

I wouldn't put it pass James Cameron to have a LTP concert made of Avatar as a way to promote his sequel, which isn't due out in theaters until December of 2021.

Say, maybe @NL197 might know.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Edit: March 5, 2024

Untitled.png

World Premiere at the Royal Albert Hall, London, England on October 27, 2024
Ensemble:
The Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra
The National Youth Choir
Ludwig Wicki, conductor

We've not heard a single word about an Avatar concert, and honestly like Aliens and Titanic, it would be yet another "Cameronized" experience that would frustrate anyone who knows the score and how cut up it is. 

That being said, if such a thing does become a reality, of course we will be obligated to talk about it. 

I'd pay to see a concert with the score as-written, but that just does not happen and will never happen with any Cameron film. Those films would have to be changed because the music as-written doesn't fit by and large for Titanic and Avatar. Only Aliens would survive intact without having to change the film. 

10 hours ago, Jay said:

I can't imagine there being a large amount of people who would pay money to see an Avatar concert.

Especially when Batman is one of the other options.

• 4 years later...
On 04/11/2019 at 5:07 PM, Jay said:

I can't imagine there being a large amount of people who would pay money to see an Avatar concert.

I would if only to see how they would handle all the ethnic instruments and indigenous chanting. It could make for an interesting spectacle.

Thing about those kinds of hybrid scores is that they will be nowhere near as exciting as purely symphonic scores. Many elements will be most likely pre-recorded. I went to see Black Panther last year and it didn't feel all that exciting, other than having Mossamba Diop perform some talking drum solos.

Karol

12 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I saw clips of the concert of Pemberton's I to The Spider-Verse with the scratching, drums etc.

That sounded really great!

Interesting! Do you have some of these clips? I'm curious to see how they would handle the non-orchestral, more electronic-based elements.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Thing about those kinds of hybrid scores is that they will be nowhere near as exciting as purely symphonic scores. Many elements will be most likely pre-recorded. I went to see Black Panther last year and it didn't feel all that exciting, other than having Mossamba Diop perform some talking drum solos.

Karol

Black Panther was easily the worst LTP I've ever been to

44 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Interesting! Do you have some of these clips? I'm curious to see how they would handle the non-orchestral, more electronic-based elements.

These are from Pemberton's own twitter.

Sound quality isn't always best, but you can hear it fine.

• 2 weeks later...

You lucky blokes.

Royal Albert Hall. October 27nd, 2024

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2024/avatar-live-in-concert/

Experience the multi-Academy Award®-winning film Avatar live in concert as part of our Films in Concert series.

Jump forward to the year 2154 and join Jake Sully on a journey across the universe to Pandora. Witness the spectacle of James Cameron's blockbuster Avatar on the big screen, all whilst James Horner's epic Oscar®-nominated score is performed live by a live orchestra, choir and soloists, conducted by Ludwig Wicki. 

Priority booking for Friends and Patrons opens on Thursday 7 March 2024 at 10am.

Tickets will go on general sale on Friday 8 March 2024 at 10am.

An LtP event, I could give or take, but a concert of AVATAR music sans images I'd attend in a heartbeat! Since that ain't gonna happen, I suppose this is the closest thing.

If you want it "sans images", simply go but don't look at the screen.

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

I could go blindfolded in. That will cause a ruckus.

🕶Charlie Cox Netflix GIF

• 2 weeks later...

Got my ticket. Just to the side of the stage so I can watch the musicians. I don't watch the screen when I'm at a live to film concert. I can watch it in my own living room.

I'm on my way home as I write this, from Return of the King concert at the Royal Albert Hall. Incredible as always. So many changes to the original score presentation. So much added music that wasn't there before and is not in the film itself.

• 5 weeks later...

According to the renter's page, here is the ensemble used for that concert:

https://www.avexclassicsinternational.co.uk/performances

The Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra
The National Youth Choir
Ludwig Wicki, conductor

Why the RAH doesn't credit the ensemble is anyone's guess.

Spoiler

Temp.png

BTW, did anyone notice that the Aliens LTP concert is no longer on the Avex's roster?

Avex also lists the sequel, but it does not appear to have any bookings yet - https://www.avexclassicsinternational.co.uk/avatar-the-way-of-water-live

1 hour ago, SyncMan said:

BTW, did anyone notice that the Aliens LTP concert is no longer on the Avex's roster?

Odd - could have reverted to Disney?