Roland Emmerich regrets making Independence Day: Resurgence

https://www.slashfilm.com/independence-day-resurgence-director-disappointed/

“I just wanted to make a movie exactly like the first. But then in the middle of production Will opted out because he wanted to do Suicide Squad.”

“I should have stopped making the movie because we had a much better script, then I had to, really fast, cobble another script together. I should have just said no because all of a sudden I was making something I criticized myself: a sequel.”

Any follow-up should've been about the aftermath, recovery and maybe ground war skirmishes. A much smaller scale. Instead they tried to one-up the first movie, but half-arsed it every step.

I understand if you enjoy this ironically for schlock value, but Resurgence was a huge letdown after 20 years of radio silence.

15 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

“I just wanted to make a movie exactly like the first. But then in the middle of production Will opted out because he wanted to do Suicide Squad.”

So then why didn't he just postpone and make the movie he actually wanted to make a bit later...?

8 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

So then why didn't he just postpone and make the movie he actually wanted to make a bit later...?

Or just replace Will Smith with another actor. I'm sure Michael Gambon would have done it!

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

if Rian Johnson would apologize, now that I could understand.

While it is refreshing and admirable to see a filmmaker actually admit his faults, there is also something to be said for filmmakers standing by their art.

I have my issues with The Last Jedi, but I don't think an apology is in order by any means.

19 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

So Smith bailed on Resurgence for Suicide Squad ... and they both turned out shit. 

Yeah, but one of them turned out to be a box office hit and the other was a humiliating flop.

2 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

Independence Day is the movie that made me obsessed with big screen TVs and powerful sound systems.

The sequel never made that impression for anybody.

Trust me, somewhere in the world there's a little Drax who's going to have the same enlightenment with Midway.

9 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

It played to empty theaters. 

So did Terminator Dark Fate. New generation not that interested in old stuff 

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And yes we live in an age of nostalgia media, with "new" Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Disney live action remakes, and decades old superheroes make billions?

It's interesting seeing what actually resonated since the 90s. Jurassic World and TFA obviously demonstrated cultural staying power that resulted in significant financial returns, while IDR obviously didn't. Apparently Terminator didn't survive either.

Star Wars and Jurassic Park seem to be immune to it. Marvel movies weren't so big in the '80s or '90s. That started somewhere around 2000 and it hasn't stopped since. Do a Thelma and Louise Part Deux today and people won't show up. It's a whole new ballgame out there. Of course, James Bond is another franchise that will survive anything.

2 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

Yeah whatever was a big zeitgeist back then isn't necessarily a crowd pleaser now. Are studios even learning that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gun:_Maverick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Boys_for_Life

With ID:R, the trailer was very, very bad and leaving out Will Smith was obviously a massive mistake. It's like Titanic going full-speed into an ice field. I think ID4 has staying power, but nobody was fooled into seeing the sequel because it clearly appeared to be a lame boring cash-in that left out its biggest star.

Terminator seems to follow the same formula of ID:R, bringing back certain cast members to act all broody and horrible while clearly centering on a younger cast in completely uninteresting scenarios and boring colorless cinematography.

They expected that the return of Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor and James Cameron as overseeing producer would turn the tide and bring the franchise back on its tracks. It clearly wasn't enough to excite the cinemagoers.

I didn't have much of a problem with ID:4:2 as a movie, but as a sequel to the rah-rah 90s blockbuster it was way too dour.  I wish more of these sequels would try to nail the spirit of the original, instead of taking concepts from older movies and trying to map them into a bleaker 2010s tone.

The advertising for T6 made it look like almost exactly the same movie as the rest of the sequels, bar #4 - and I don't think Cameron's name alone puts people's butts in seats.  I'm not surprised it tanked - there really was no buzz for the thing, and it's not a guaranteed seller that weathers the early November movie theater downtime pre-Thanksgiving.  I was a relative latecomer to the Terminator series, and was old enough to see them for the first time free of any 1990s cultural context or nostalgia - for me, they were just fine.  T1 was really good, T2-4 were pretty good follow-ups which all were at the same quality level (for me, no diss T2 fans).  I look forward to catching 5 and 6 at some point.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

They expected that the return of Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor and James Cameron as overseeing producer would turn the tide and bring the franchise back on its tracks. It clearly wasn't enough to excite the cinemagoers.

the big problem there was people were so turned off by the shite that has been churned out since T2 that they just don’t care anymore.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

the big problem there was people were so turned off by the shite that has been churned out since T2 that they just don’t care anymore.

If that was truly the problem, then why do people always return for Star Wars? 

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

While it is refreshing and admirable to see a filmmaker actually admit his faults, there is also something to be said for filmmakers standing by their art.

Steven Spielberg (anybody heard of him?) said that he made LAST CRUSADE, to apologise for TOD. He's also pointed out the many faults, in 1941, and he's gone on record saying that he still doesn't like HOOK.

A director is entitled to not like their work.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Steven Spielberg (anybody heard of him?) said that he made LAST CRUSADE, to apologise for TOD. He's also pointed out the many faults, in 1941, and he's gone on record saying that he still doesn't like HOOK.

A director is entitled to not like their work.

Sure, sure. But like I said, there’s also something to be said for standing up to your work.

30 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Sure, sure. But like I said, there’s also something to be said for standing up to your work.

Is there? 

Does JW like Sugarland Express? 

Does Peter Gabriel speak fondly of From Genesis to Revelation? 

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are on record saying they wish they could destroy the first six seasons of South Park. 

You can stand up for your work, but you also earn the right to admit when you made shit you're not proud of. 

Another fuck-up in this misfire was Emmerich's half-arsed attempt to mirror the teen dystopian craze of the early 2010s. There was an interview before the movie came out where he's yabbering on about how much he wanted to make it like The Hunger Games, hence the disproportionate focus on these younger morons in the cast.

ID-4 R was OK. It's a popcorn flick for sure.  It definitely pales in comparison to the first movie.  Even the score paled in comparison to Arnold's original score.

It's a shame we couldn't at least get a new Arnold score out of it, that probably would've been the only redeeming factor. I hate that they completely replaced the aliens with CGI models. The practical effects in the original are fantastic. 

4 hours ago, woj said:

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are on record saying they wish they could destroy the first six seasons of South Park. 

Is it that many? I know they hate the first. They spend a chunk of their movie commentary criticizing its technical inexpertise so maybe that’s where it’s coming from. I think they’ve also said they didn’t know anything about cause-and-effect in storytelling for awhile lol.