Roland Emmerich regrets making Independence Day: Resurgence

Is this the official Emmerich thread? Because...

Military Times Editor Writes Scathing Takedown of Roland Emmerich’s ‘Midway’

Roland Emmerich’s World War II action drama “Midway” surprised the industry by topping the weekend box office with a $17.5 million debut, a step up from projections that reported the film was heading for around $15 million. While the success of “Midway” was a win for Lionsgate (the studio also has “Knives Out” opening over Thanksgiving), the film was greeted with some of the worst film reviews of 2019. IndieWire senior film critic David Ehrlich called “Midway” bland in his C- review, but that’s nothing compared to the fury the film elicited out of Military Times writer and editor J.D. Simkins. Prior to Military Times, Simkins worked as a Marine scout observer from 2004-2008.

“Spoilers, in this case, simply do not matter. If you shell out your hard-earned money to see this film, you are spoiling your own life and ruining the joy of those in your company,” Simkins wrote in his scathing Military Times review. “Use the 2 hours, 18 minutes to instead do something more enjoyable, like repeatedly smashing your face into a wall.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/midway-slammed-military-times-editor-roland-emmerich-1202188741/

9 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Short Round makes Jar Jar Binks look like fucking Shaft 

Who is the Gungan who will risk his life for his brother Gungan?

Binks.

Can you dig it?

Who's the Gungan who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?

J. Binks.

You're damn right!

I saw MIDWAY yesterday. I really liked it. It's not his best (it's lacking his finely tuned narrative acts, for example), but the lovely excess and the audiovisual, "cinematic celebration" were both very trademark. Characters are waferthin, of course, but they always have been in his movies. That's not what he's about. This was never supposed to be another DUNKIRK or whatever, for those who expected that. The film went straight into my 33rd place (out of 130 2019 movies seen so far).

6 hours ago, Thor said:

I saw MIDWAY yesterday. I really liked it. It's not his best (it's lacking his finely tuned narrative acts, for example), but the lovely excess and the audiovisual, "cinematic celebration" were both very trademark. Characters are waferthin, of course, but they always have been in his movies. That's not what he's about. This was never supposed to be another DUNKIRK or whatever, for those who expected that. The film went straight into my 33rd place (out of 130 2019 movies seen so far).

Similar to my thoughts. Myself and the father both enjoyed it for what it was. It’s a bit of a throwback to the old way of making WW2 films but with modern special effects. 

On 11/10/2019 at 8:51 PM, Edmilson said:

They released a few trailers and a theme song by some pop divas, geared specially for teen girls on Twitter... But other than that, I haven't seen anything for Charlie's Angels either. The movie will probably bomb next week.

yep, it sure did.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/charlie-angels-fell-grace-box-144129679.html