WAR HORSE - 2019 Recording Session Leak

CGCJ

Oh wow, an alternate end credits suite and Dash Across No Man's Land, very cool to know. The cue slates are a bit out of whack though, order wise. Why is the No Man's Land cue after The Reunion? 

And what exactly leaked from this score, sheet music?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

And what exactly leaked from this score, sheet music?

The actual music recordings. Never seen the film or heard the score so I have no idea why any of the cue numbers might be out of order. I just saw it available and that there was no cue list on here so thought I'd download and share the info; I've now added the duration's to the previous post.

Well, looks like I need to do some digging... :P

44 minutes ago, CGCJ said:

Never seen the film or heard the score so I have no idea why any of the cue numbers might be out of order.

Presumably when JW scored the film, certain scenes were in later reels when the film ran longer. Like the Dash Across No Man's Land, for example.

Then as the film was cut down, these scenes moved to earlier reels (ie, reel 6 instead of 7) but the cue slate remained because JW had already written or recorded it.

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm kind of surprised the leak isn't bigger.

Well, leaks don't always contain everything recorded, some just include what made it into the film. and maybe a couple alts (which I think are just taken from the OST and tacked on)

12 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Well, leaks don't always contain everything recorded, some just include what made it into the film. and maybe a couple alts (which I think are just taken from the OST and tacked on)

Yes, but I somehow thought the film score was longer.

After a first listen, it seems like this isn't 100% complete:

• Plowing doesn't have a clean opening unlike the OST
  • Pulling the Cannon has the same section as the FYC which is missing some bits from the OST (1:59 to 2:04 OST time). If it's a microedit, it's well done. If not, it might just be a different take which would mean the OST take isn't on this.
  • The alternate for The Dash Across No Man's Land is just the OST track because we hear the ending of Approaching Trapped Joey at the beginning. So we are missing that alternate in clean form.

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

After a first listen, it seems like this isn't 100% complete:

• Plowing doesn't have a clean opening unlike the OST
  • Pulling the Cannon has the same section as the FYC which is missing some bits from the OST (1:59 to 2:04 OST time). If it's a microedit, it's well done. If not, it might just be a different take which would mean the OST take isn't on this.
  • The alternate for The Dash Across No Man's Land is just the OST track because we hear the ending of Approaching Trapped Joey at the beginning. So we are missing that alternate in clean form.

Alternate Dash would probably be an insert if presented as recorded.

Does this track only last 1:38 for the version of the leak you got?

EDIT: Seems like the leak @CGCJ posted isn't the raw leak. The following tracks have been altered/added using the OST to make it "more complete":

• 1) 1m1 Dartmoor
  • 7) 1m7 Learning The Call
  • 30) 6m68 The Reunion
  • 35) 7m70 The Dash Across No Man's Land (Alternate)
  • 36) 7m74 End Credits (Alternate)

11 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Seems like the leak @CGCJ posted isn't the raw leak. The following tracks have been altered/added using the OST to make it "more complete":

Sorry, I just posted about what I had come across, I didn't edit any of it myself.

I wonder what the source of this leak is. It's not a comprehensive session leak because it only has the final film cues, but it lacks all the typical edits that the film score has. Kinda weird... 

We won't be getting an expansion anytime soon thanks to union fees, so this will probably be the best we get for over a decade.

18 hours ago, Chewy said:

Does this track only last 1:38 for the version of the leak you got?

EDIT: Seems like the leak @CGCJ posted isn't the raw leak. The following tracks have been altered/added using the OST to make it "more complete":

• 1) 1m1 Dartmoor
  • 7) 1m7 Learning The Call
  • 30) 6m68 The Reunion
  • 35) 7m70 The Dash Across No Man's Land (Alternate)
  • 36) 7m74 End Credits (Alternate)

Last week an other "Expanded version" also leaks. This first one was a combinaison from the OST and the FYC albums.

21 hours ago, crumbs said:

I wonder what the source of this leak is. It's not a comprehensive session leak because it only has the final film cues, but it lacks all the typical edits that the film score has. Kinda weird... 

I have seen many session leaks that lack alternates or film edits. 

7 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

I have seen many session leaks that lack alternates or film edits. 

That would indicate these are leaking post-mastering stage, once the score reaches the sound mixers. They would be handed the final mastered scoring files but not the complete sessions (hence no alternates rejected by composer/director, just the final cues approved for use in the film, but before any edits have been made).

23 hours ago, Bellosh said:

stupid question...but where can i listen to this?

I can't find it anywhere and not in the usual places. I guess it's in private circles...

5 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I can't find it anywhere and not in the usual places. I guess it's in private circles...

It slowly dribbled out of those private circles. Even dl-st has it up now, in flac, no less!

If it turns out there's a nice arrangement of this score's two sweetest themes, I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know. The album was quite unsatisfactory in that regard.

53 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

Yes, John is currently being held captive until he leaks War Horse to the masses. Let him go!

#FreeWilliams

Wow wow wow, we said we'd let him go if Hook came out on BF and not a second sooner!

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

I can't find it anywhere and not in the usual places.

Curiously, it's not on that forum that worships that japanese RPG. 

That place was better, cool recording sessions leaking there almost every week... Now that place posts mostly scores no one cares about.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

If it turns out there's a nice arrangement of this score's two sweetest themes, I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know. The album was quite unsatisfactory in that regard.

You don't think 'Remembering Emilie, and Finale' has that for you?

Harnessing Joey is a delightful unreleased cue. What a gift!

Considering the 2005 union changes will prohibit post-WOTW expansions anytime soon, we've gotten pretty lucky. Munich (OST basically complete), KOTCS (session leak), War Horse (session leak), Lincoln (OST basically complete), The Post (OST basically complete, FYC apparently has more score), The Last Jedi (complete isolated score).

Which really just leaves Memoirs, Tintin, The Book Thief and The BFG in limbo. Union fees won't be an issue for TFA and TROS considering Disney's ownership, so that just depends on when they decide to commission SW expansions (hopefully already in the works).

IIRC The Book Thief is pretty close to complete if you combine the OST and FYC. 

Same with Lincoln. For that score, the OST was woefully incomplete when it came to film cues since it was mostly concert arrangements and album extensions, but the FYC was amazing cause it brought us all the important missing film cues. 

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Same with Lincoln. For that score, the OST was woefully incomplete when it came to film cues since it was mostly concert arrangements and album extensions, but the FYC was amazing cause it brought us all the important missing film cues. 

Ahh yes, Trumpet Hymn! Probably the best unreleased cue and the quality is superb on the FYC. I couldn't find a cue list but recall there being very little score in the film proper (and that Williams treated the OST more like a concert exploration of the themes rather than an assembly of the film score).

Didn't even know there was a Book Thief FYC. After checking the cue list (61 cues!) I figured there must be a stack of unreleased material even in spite of an FYC filling the gaps. Do you know if there's a spreadsheet by any chance?

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

This spreadsheet seems to be inaccessible, at least from my google account.

Working now. (Y)

So those of us who only have access to the leaked version of the sessions are still missing the unedited "Learning the Call." Anything else?

13 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

So those of us who only have access to the leaked version of the sessions are still missing the unedited "Learning the Call." Anything else? 

If I'm understanding the cue list correctly, the OST has a few alternate passages that were replaced in the film version (like The Auction). Learning the Call appears to contain album-specific development that wasn't intended for film (or belongs to alternates we only partially have).

The end credits suites and Dash Across No Man's Land also appear to have alternate passages between OST and film. The actual end credits as it appears in the film appears to be an edited construct though.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

The final track on the OST album, "Homecoming", is already a wonderful suite of the themes for the score.

Additionally, "Learning The Call" from the OST album is essentially a concert arrangement, albeit containing some pieces of film cues like Theme From Jurassic Park or Window To The Past

OMG for a second I read that as the track "Learning the Call" had music from Jurassic Park and Harry Potter in it! :pat:

14 hours ago, Quintus said:

Try the (new) end credits, it places the big inspirational near the beginning.