Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Final Predictions (NO SPOILERS)

crumbs

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Final Predictions  

56 members have voted

1. 1. When Don Williams said the 'Phantom Theme' would return in TROS, did he mean the Emperor's Theme or Duel of the Fates?

• Emperor's Theme
    • Duel of the Fates
  2. 2. Will any of these prequel themes return in TROS?

• Anakin's Theme (TPM, AOTC, ROTS)
    • Anakin's Betrayal (ROTS)
    • Across the Stars (AOTC, ROTS)
    • Battle of the Heroes (ROTS)
    • Qui-Gon's Theme (TPM)
    • Trade Federation March (TPM, AOTC)
    • Funeral Theme (TPM, ROTS)
    • Separatist Mystery Motif (AOTC)
    • None of the above
  3. 3. Will the film feature any music tracked from the recordings of a previous score (excepting Main Title)?

4. 4. Stylistically, which musical approach will JW take for the Death Star II lightsaber battle between Rey and Ren?

• A monothematic large scale chorale piece with bursts of the Force Theme, like the Mustafar battle in ROTS
    • Thematic scoring with Rey and Ren's themes used throughout, like Ways of the Force
    • Something else
  5. 5. Will an expanded 2CD version be released alongside the standard 1CD version?

6. 6. Will we hear ANY of the score before the film is released?

7. 7. Will there be a featurette on the score released in advance, like the TFA 60 Minutes piece?

8. 8. Will either Rey or Kylo Ren receive new themes in the film?

9. 9. How many new THEMES will the score contain?

10. 10. How does the end credits suite finish?

• Luke's Theme
    • The Force Theme
    • Rey's Theme
    • Rebel Fanfare
    • A reprise of the ANH closing fanfare
    • A reprise of the ESB closing fanfare
    • A reprise of the ROTJ/ROTS extended closing fanfare
    • Brand new, non-thematic fanfare
    • Something else
  11. 11. Will there be a track called 'The Rise of Skywalker'

12. 12. How many unique concert suites will the OST contain?

13. 13. Has John finished recording the score, as at November 11?

• Yes, it's all done
    • No, they're still recording
  14. 14. Does the Emperor and his forces receive a new theme in addition to his original one?

15. 15. Just how all-encompassing is the rumoured end credits suite?

• A victory lap of basically all the major themes across all 3 trilogies
    • A suite of the sequel trilogy + the themes of any character in TROS only
    • Just a suite of the key new ideas from TROS only
    • Something else
  16. 16. Will the Cloud City music re-appear at any point in the score for Lando?

17. 17. What is the first theme in the score after Main Title?

• Rey's Theme
    • Force Theme
    • Luke's Theme
    • Luke & Leia
    • Rebel Fanfare
    • Something else
    • Kylo Ren's A Theme
  18. 18. Does the Kylo Ren march from the end of TLJ get developed into a fully fledged musical idea?

19. 19. Was the 'potential' TROS music heard in that Anthony Daniels promo actually a hint of something from the score, or just generic trailer music?

• Yes, it was based on something from John's score for TROS!
    • No, just generic trailer music by another composer
  20. 20. Will the tracklist be known before the score is available?

• Yes, it will be revealed when pre-orders go live, hence the delay
    • Yes, it will leak a few days out from the score's release
    • No, it won't be known until the score goes live at midnight on release day
  21. 21. How prevalent will choral elements be across the score?

• Just 2 or 3 cues for dramatic effect, like TLJ
    • Substantial, prolonged appearances for the climactic battle, plus several cues throughout to support the Emperor's Theme
    • No choir at all, all orchestral
  22. 22. Will Rey's Theme be threaded through the Force Theme, like the end of the TFA credits, in the body of the score proper?

23. 23. Did Don's prediction about the length of the score come true, or did the score end up another rewrite/insert mess like TFA?

• Yes, he was correct, about 135-140 minutes
    • The score matches the runtime, about 155 minutes
    • No, JW had to re-score multiple scenes after reshoots. The score ended up 175-185 minutes long
    • He's still doing revisions! 200+ minutes!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/12/19 at 01:00 PM

It's possible because of the temp track. Lots of that unused material could end up in the temp and Williams could end up repurposing it.

The unused Parade Grounds cue sounds a bit like a prototype for The Spark, and the unused Rey Meets BB8 sounds like a precursor to the start of Rose's Theme. So JW does recycle stuff from time to time (I doubt it was his idea but even the unused cue The Arena from AOTC got repurposed in ROTS). 

4 hours ago, MaestroUE said:

Do you think this First Order march motif would make a return as a revised new theme? The motif was used in several cues in TFA soundtrack but was never introduced as the First Order theme. Since JW didn't even touch that material in TLJ, it may not happen but considering the collaboration with JJ, he may actually return to some of the ideas he had in TFA that were discarded/unreleased later on.

what's the source for that music again?

9 minutes ago, King Mark said:

We first heard it in the extended TFA Blu-Ray documentary. 

somehow it didn't make it in my latest TFA fan edit, but it's a really cool piece of music. Why would JJ delete that

i hope all the cool stuff for TROS doesn't end up on the cutting room floor

I think he was just way too mindful of the music drawing attention to itself or distracting from the acting (in this instance, Hux's speech). Or perhaps he was worried the film had too much music. There's a lot of great stuff dialled out throughout.

Seems kind of absurd considering it's a Star Wars score and he fawned endlessly over Williams. Not sure I'd have the courage to dial out or cut up anything he composed, in JJ's shoes! 

Both Williams and Abrams would have the kind of working relationship where they would come to the mutual agreement of what is cut and what isn't. I don't take Williams as the kind of guy who would be insulted by Abrams cutting music that doesn't fit, and at this point in his career Williams must be used to it.

The Parade Grounds cue was pretty strong considering what it was scoring. I think it was probably a case of, "look, this approach probably won't work because of Gleeson's delivery, but why don't we give it a try and find out?"

I get the sense there's been a lot of that with Abrams. Given the luxurious schedule afforded to him, Williams has been happy to oblige, even knowing many of the ideas won't get used.

The shifting cuts of the film with reshoots et al. probably forced Williams to be a little more forgiving. Though we still haven't heard the real story with the rescore.

Here is the Hux speech with the First Order cue. Overall it does blend in great with the scene, also creates quite a climax and dramatic effect. However, the transition to the cue "The Starkiller" is not quite clean. Maybe they could've kept the score until the fire began because the latter part of the cue is rather inaudible in that part anyway. Besides, it would've created a small pause of silence before "The Starkiller" cue. Either way, i'm hoping for the First Order to be this menacing again, preferrably with a new, grand theme.

1 hour ago, MaestroUE said:

Here is the Hux speech with the First Order cue. Overall it does blend in great with the scene, also creates quite a climax and dramatic effect. However, the transition to the cue "The Starkiller" is not quite clean. Maybe they could've kept the score until the fire began because the latter part of the cue is rather inaudible in that part anyway. Besides, it would've created a small pause of silence before "The Starkiller" cue. Either way, i'm hoping for the First Order to be this menacing again, preferrably with a new, grand theme.

I'm not sure this is an accurate representation of what Williams wrote. The crescendo of the cue is almost certainly intended for the end of Hux's speech, with the shot of the Stormtroopers raising their fists intended as the silence between cues (before Sunbeam Strings begins over the shots of First Order officers firing the weapon).

Still, we know from Dudamel that Williams wrote Sunbeam Strings ("The Starkiller") the night before it was recorded, which implies:

a) he was so swamped with other re-writes that he was running late finishing cues for the sessions

b) there's a radically different, action-heavy version of the cue (tied to the unused Parade Grounds cue) but JJ asked for a more emotional, adagio-like approach

c) JW was just exaggerating

Cannot remember exactly where but it was an anecdote at a concert or something. He went in to conduct a few cues and Williams gave him Sunbeam Strings, mentioning that he'd written it overnight (no explanation given though, unfortunately).

There's probably more detail in another thread. I get the feeling he might have revealed it at the concert where he premiered the Adagio concert suite.

11 hours ago, King Mark said:

11 hours ago, Will said:

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Where's the unreleased cue from?

11 hours ago, Will said:

I'm kind of disappointed it's going to be under 2.5 hours. Keep in mind this film has to wrap up the entire 9-film saga. I hope they'll be able to pull that off in a satisfying way within just over 2 hours.

It is perfectly logical to judge Star Wars films by their length: ANH and ESB are the shortest ones and AOTC and TLJ the longest.

Obviously we need more runtime. 

Geez, how does a film lose 14 minutes in the space of 4-6 weeks unless it's been hacked to pieces?

Was really hoping for a more generous runtime and a stable edit in the final months of post, but this could be TFA all over again (trimming it right back to the bone until the music has no room to breathe).

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Geez, how does a film lose 14 minutes in the space of 4-6 weeks unless it's been hacked to pieces?

Was really hoping for a more generous runtime and a stable edit in the final months of post, but this could be TFA all over again (trimming it right back to the bone until the music has no room to breathe).

Well that could have just been a general guesstimate, erring on the side of over-estimating, just so the theaters could plan out their showtimes.

12 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Ya gotta count on 15 minutes of previews, and whatnot

Only 15? You're lucky over there. And about half of hour "preview time" is filled with just regular garbage commercials. Half of which are for the single 100% monopolistic cinema chain you just fucking paid to show you a movie.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Just speculation, but I think the whole slug guy subplot is gone.  

That makes sense, a huge chunk gone from the start of the film and replaced with something shorter (filmed at Black Park in September).

Maybe they were holding off on the OST pre-orders for this reason, because the opening act was restructured and JW didn't know what music to include?

I'm conflicted about this. On one hand, I was happy that the movie was going to be 155 minutes, it's a good time for them to resolve all the plotlines, just like it is supposed to be on the final movie on a sprawling saga. I'm not sure if 131 - 133 minutes (not considering the end credits) are enough for a satisfying final experience.

So I was afraid that they shortening 14 minutes of movie was mandated by the studio, wanting to have more showtimes during day, much like WB did with Justice League. But Disney is certainly not afraid of puting very long blockbusters on theaters: the first two Avengers were over 140 minutes long, Infinity War was 150 minutes, The Last Jedi 152 minutes, Endgame 182 minutes, even The Lion King and Incredibles 2 were almost 2 hours long, which is certainly a huge runtime for family movies.

So, I guess this wasn't an imposition by Disney, but a creative decision, therefore, the missing 14 minutes weren't nothing that much important. Of course, considering the first rumor of the movie being 155 minutes long was acurate.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

The original runtime was never confirmed. It was an estimate by some theater chain.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wasn't it the runtime distributed by Disney to all theatre chains so they could schedule the sessions? 

I'm not sure if that was the case, but if it was, it was likely just a rough estimate because they didn't yet have a set runtime. I imagine they would have raised the runtime a bit just in case.

41 minutes ago, Tom said:

The think the run time is fine story-wise, as Abrams likes to edit things down to quick scenes.  My problem is that this same approach limits scoring opportunities a bit. 

That's my main concern. The longer runtime gave me hope the film would allow scenes and moments to breathe so the music could stretch its legs. It's my biggest issue with the pacing of TFA, that everything moves so quickly from one scene to the next that JW never gets a chance to develop long ideas (unlike the more indulgent, longer TLJ). 

55 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That's my main concern. The longer runtime gave me hope the film would allow scenes and moments to breathe so the music could stretch its legs. It's my biggest issue with the pacing of TFA, that everything moves so quickly from one scene to the next that JW never gets a chance to develop long ideas (unlike the more indulgent, longer TLJ). 

If nothing else, at least we know JW wrote 300 bars of end credits suite, which he surely put to good use.

Here in my city the sessions are happening about 3 hours from each other: 14h, 16h, 19h in one theater, then 14h50, 17h50, 20h50 in other...

I imagine Disney told the theater chains the movie would be about 2h30 long, and so, completed with half an hour for trailers and all of those ridiculous comercials (and that's not even mentioning the time needed for people to leave the theater and the cleaning people to clean it before the next patreons comes out), there you go.

12 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm kind of disappointed it's going to be under 2.5 hours. Keep in mind this film has to wrap up the entire 9-film saga. I hope they'll be able to pull that off in a satisfying way within just over 2 hours.

I don’t know how much of this “wrap up the entire 9-film saga” is a marketing rhetoric and how much of it actually pertains to the content of the film.

How do you “wrap” this series up, anyway? Especially when you choose to do so two movies after the series actually did wrap up? Sounds impossible to me.

Providing a satisfying resolution to the sequel trilogy alone is task enough, I should think.