Share your experience from a screening of a JW scored film you recently attended

phbart

I caught a screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark early this afternoon. I had such a great time, it was such a wonderful experience. JW score sounded the best I've ever heard, so powerful. It nearly blew me out of my seat. I never imagined it could have sounded that good. It was an early afternoon screening, so the theater was quite empty (thank God!). I filmed the Map Room sequence to keep a "souvenir" of the experience. I wasn't expecting much, but when I watched just now I was amazed at how good the phone captured the ambience of being in the theater (it's a Galaxy S10, btw). Well... just check it for yourselves. And share your experience too.

I remember going to a screening of the trilogy when the Blu-ray set came out and it was one of the best times I've had at the cinema, even if we were seated to the extreme right directly in front of the screen. They're such perfect flicks with perfect accompanying scores. They also fly by and are over before you know it, despite the 2 hour running time. Spielberg was the God of popcorn flicks and paced a movie so brilliantly. Before the dark times.

The last Williams-scored film I attended was The Post, and I think I was the only one grinning throughout the whole opening just soaking in the fresh Williams music. You really can't underestimate how Williams manages to give every scene he scores - even if it's underscore - the care and attention other composers would've given some throwaway extended/sustained strings, or some electronic beat that doesn't say anything. 

Well, I think my most recent screened films are a bit of a cheat for this thread. I saw Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban live with the Seattle Symphony on my birthday in July. (And a few days earlier E.T., also with the Seattle Symphony.) So, of course, the music was front and center in both cases and just wonderful. POA featured the Seattle Chorus as is needed by the score, and that was incredibly powerful to hear live. Happily, the audience was into the experience. I love being able to really look at which orchestra member is playing which parts and noticing even the small contributions from the non-featured players during various sequences. 

The last JW-scored film I saw in a movie theater might go all the way back to The Last Jedi in 2017 (not counting his theme contribution to Solo, which I saw in May 2018). I attended the showing that had the Rian Johnson-JW feature at the beginning, and there was great appreciation in the room for the Maestro.

The last JW-scored film I watched was Minority Report on my iPad after the expanded score was released a few weeks ago.

10 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I saw that too, in Chicago with a _packed_ theater. (AMC by Navy Pier, for any locals). I don't know if I can ever watch The Last Crusade ever again at home, that was such an amazing experience. I can guarantee that the majority of everyone in the theater had seen these movies loads of times, but when Papa Connery got shot, you could feel the silence fill the whole room as if we were watching a new release for the first time.

Leaving the theater you felt like you had just saved the world from Nazis yourself! Talk about a feel-good day!

Exactly my thought. Of all the re-runs of a JW scored film a saw in a theater, I can't remember when (or if) I watched those at home again. In a 5 years period I saw E.T., CE3K, Jaws, JP, Private Ryan, Empire of the Sun, Superman and now Raiders. Except for JP, Sun and Ryan, I don't remember watching or wanting to watch any of the others at home since.

1 hour ago, lairdo said:

Well, I think my most recent screened films are a bit of a cheat for this thread. I saw Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban live with the Seattle Symphony on my birthday in July. (And a few days earlier E.T., also with the Seattle Symphony.) So, of course, the music was front and center in both cases and just wonderful. POA featured the Seattle Chorus as is needed by the score, and that was incredibly powerful to hear live. Happily, the audience was into the experience. I love being able to really look at which orchestra member is playing which parts and noticing even the small contributions from the non-featured players during various sequences. 

The last JW-scored film I saw in a movie theater might go all the way back to The Last Jedi in 2017 (not counting his theme contribution to Solo, which I saw in May 2018). I attended the showing that had the Rian Johnson-JW feature at the beginning, and there was great appreciation in the room for the Maestro.

The last JW-scored film I watched was Minority Report on my iPad after the expanded score was released a few weeks ago.

Oh snap! Do you live in Seattle proper? Did you attend the first Harry Potter in '17?

38 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Oh snap! Do you live in Seattle proper? Did you attend the first Harry Potter in '17?

Yes, I've been to all three they have had here. I think July '17, Oct/Nov '18 and Jul '19.

I live in Kirkland.

The last JW-scored film I saw in an actual cinema was THE POST, I think. I can't remember having attended any retrospectives featuring his music after that. But obviously, I've (re-)seen a few at home since then.