Complete Star Wars saga in 4K now available on Disney+

crumbs

Okay, so apparently this just happened!? I don't have Disney+ (not available in Australia) and details appear to be scarce, but apparently the entire saga from the prequels to the sequels has just dropped in 4K with Dolby Atmos exclusive to Disney+

Disney+ gets every 'Star Wars' movie in 4K, Dolby Vision and Atmos

We knew Disney+ would be the new home of Star Wars ever since the service was announced, but Disney kept an interesting nugget secret until now. The entire Star Wars series, including the original trilogy and much-maligned prequels, has also been remastered in 4K with Dolby Vision and Atmos support, delivering the clearest look at the twin suns of Tatooine yet. So now, even physical media purists will have a reason to check out Disney+.

Bluray versions with new edits (greedo says something else before shooting), apparently better colouring fixing the horrid tints that have been present since the 2004 DVD master.

Can anyone verify if they fixed the endlessly problematic lightsaber colour issues in ANH? Luke's blade went from white to green to, eventually, blue on the Bluray.

If they've scanned these fresh from the OCN, all the awful colour grading from the Lowry masters should be long gone (and that awful magenta tint in ANH).

1 minute ago, Thekthithm said:

Did they re-render the CGI or something?

Yes, how does the Jabba stuff look in ANH now? That would've been rendered years ago in super low quality. In fact, all the CGI shots from the 1997 SEs should look terrible in 4K unless they re-rendered everything?

And is TPM still a waxy mess like the Bluray or have they fixed that DNR'd nightmare?

7 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

It’s the special edition, which in and of itself makes me suspect it’s an upscale:

I doubt it. We knew there was a legitimate 4K version of the OT in the works at ILM, they aren't just going to upscale a master from nearly two decades ago.

Heck, we got footage of the new scans in that remastering company's showreel years ago. They've just conformed to the SE rather than UOT for this new master, sadly.

Looks like new transfers of all 6 and they look lovely! The Phantom Menace looks more filmlike here, but aside from a couple of shots on the Blu-ray, that transfer never bothered me at all. The colors on the Disney + version match the 35mm prints I remember seeing so many times in 1999.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=323170

26 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I doubt it. We knew there was a legitimate 4K version of the OT in the works at ILM, they aren't just going to upscale a master from nearly two decades ago.

But if they scanned the original camera negative (which itself isn’t true native 4K, but that’s besides the point) then they’d have no problem reverting these changes, and yet they clearly didn’t. I don’t know.

Not that it matters all that much: a good upscale can look very good indeed. Most of the time, going from 2K to 4K you’re not adding detail whole-cloth, you’re adding resolution to details which are already present.

17 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

But if they scanned the original camera negative (which itself isn’t true native 4K, but that’s besides the point)

I don't understand what you mean here. The OCN isn't "native" anything because it's an analogue format. The native resolution of the OCN scan could be anywhere from 4K to 8K. The final digital master is clearly 4K but the raw scans of the OCN might have been 5K or 6K to allow for overscan and also assist with grain and dirt removal (as more detail makes it easier to denoise). Apparently the OCN was in terrible shape in 1997 when the SE print masters were struck, so I dread to think what shape they're in now.

17 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Not that it matters all that much: a good upscale can look very good indeed. Most of the time, going from 2K to 4K you’re not adding detail whole-cloth, you’re adding resolution to details which are already present.

An upscale of the OT Bluray masters to 4K would look awful. Those ancient 1080p Lowry masters were only intended for standard definition home video; Lucasfilm were just too cheap to remaster the films again for Bluray.

They tried to do the same with the Indiana Jones Bluray release but Spielberg intervened, requesting fresh scans of the OCN at high resolution (Raiders in 4K and TLC/TOD at 2K, I think).

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I don't understand what you mean here. The OCN isn't "native" anything because it's an analogue format. The native resolution of the OCN scan could be anywhere from 4K to 8K. The final digital master is clearly 4K but the raw scans of the OCN might have been 5K or 6K to allow for overscan and also assist with grain and dirt removal (as more detail makes it easier to denoise). Apparently the OCN was in terrible shape in 1997 when the SE print masters were struck, so I dread to think what shape they're in now.

I should have said "itself doesn't resolve to true native 4K".

Daytime footage of slow, Super-35mm film resolves at around 3.2K: that's the resolution at which all of the information on negative, including grain, is fully captured, digitally. For technical reasons, you have to overscan the negative at anywhere from 4K to 8K, but the actual amount of detail never reaches a full 4K and certainly not 5K or 8K, not accounting for percieved, temporal resolution and so forth.

All 35mm 4K releases are actually 3K-odd, in terms of actual detail.

I wonder if there's some slim chance they rendered the prequels at 1440p and were able to upscale that, or if they just had to upscale the 1080p masters? That won't look great at 4K (though I guess the excessive amount of CGI will smooth things out).

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Bluray versions with new edits (greedo says something else before shooting), apparently better colouring fixing the horrid tints that have been present since the 2004 DVD master.

I'm afraid that it is true.

Just before the pathetic shoot-out, there's a close-up of Greedo.

Greedo.png

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1194160383831027713/pu/vid/1280x720/CZaHqCSz0VEPZ4m9.mp4?tag=10

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The original trilogy and prequel trilogy now also have the 20th Century Fox logo and fanfare restored on the Disney+ versions.

Oh, that's good. That always seemed to belong - certainly, musically it does.

32 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

What? They were gone? When? I must have missed something.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25252-new-lucasfilm-star-wars-intro-fanfare-fox-fanfare-replacement/

According to Pablo Hidalgo on Twitter, any changes are Lucas' work for the scrapped 3D projects - "Ah, I see D+ must have the 4K version.  This would've been done a few years back, by Lucas.  A final 4K restoration in anticipation of a 3D re-release that never happened after 3D re-releases fizzled."  In response to a tweet asking if this was a restoration of the original film and not an upscaled version of the 2011 release, Pablo says "Sounds like it. (I don't have D+)"

13 minutes ago, mstrox said:

According to Pablo Hidalgo on Twitter, any changes are Lucas' work for the scrapped 3D projects - "Ah, I see D+ must have the 4K version.  This would've been done a few years back, by Lucas.  A final 4K restoration in anticipation of a 3D re-release that never happened after 3D re-releases fizzled."  In response to a tweet asking if this was a restoration of the original film and not an upscaled version of the 2011 release, Pablo says "Sounds like it. (I don't have D+)"

This is ridiculous.  He shouldn't have said anything.  He represents Lucasfilm whether he sees it that way or not.  So for now the official Lucasfilm response is "*shrug* We don't have Disney+ yet."

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/11/greedo-han-solo-star-wars-edit

The official word.

Somebody else on Twitter mentioned an out-of-focus reel from the 2011 ROTJ scans being fixed, giving further credence to these being rescanned from yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

https://twitter.com/StarWarsVisComp/status/1194287051065217024

40 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This is ridiculous.  He shouldn't have said anything.  He represents Lucasfilm whether he sees it that way or not.  So for now the official Lucasfilm response is "*shrug* We don't have Disney+ yet."

Pablo has been pretty resistant to the idea, even going so far as to go private about a month ago, and then to block all of his followers on Twitter except for the people who he follows back.  (I am one of the blocked, collateral damage, boo hoo!).    Some brave follower took a screenshot of the tweets I transcribed above.

It's only visible on the 4K scan, and since our big TV isn't even HD at the moment, I'll probably never see the new change outside of the Twitter videos making the rounds.  Still, from what I saw, it's kind of a shrug.  Not better or worse than the numerous other non-original versions, but different.

From what I've seen in screenshots, Lucas did additional color timing and effects work (the sabers in the SW Obi-Wan/Vader duel, at least), and that stuff all appears to be an improvement.  I'll still never see it, but good for those who can!

10 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

He’s currently drinking from a giant mug that has “fanboy tears” stamped on it. 

The biggest mugs are the ones paying yet again for these movies.

Lucas is an actual cunt though, regardless. I think he's always come off as one in interviews.

36 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Lucas is an actual cunt though, regardless. I think he's always come off as one in interviews.

In many ways, yeah.

Not to mention all the blatant lies: "I wrote a really long screenplay and then I split it into two parts, and split each part into three and there I had it: six Star Wars films". At one point, he even committed outright forgery in presenting a "copy" of a 1976 version of the script that read "Episode IV: A New Hope".

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Somebody else on Twitter mentioned an out-of-focus reel from the 2011 ROTJ scans being fixed, giving further credence to these being rescanned from yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

Could be judicious use of sharpening tools all the same.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Yeah but they’ll be paying for Disney+ to get access to the Mandalorian and the other new shows that they’re producing 

Nah, I guess they would rather spend their time studying and analyzing the old movies instead of watching the newer stuff.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Does the 4K edition include a few new surprises?

Now sit back, and get ready to experience George Lucas's definitive vision of the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition.