Complete Star Wars saga in 4K now available on Disney+

crumbs

I've been tempted to get a Disney+ subscription just to watch these old space movies. I was skimming the 4K thread on the original trilogy forums (I know, but it was a sure bet for coverage) for screencaps and they look awesome. Of course, there are so many bizarre complaints from the users there, including criticizing the colors of the Episode One Blu-ray, which I thought was perfect aside from the obvious DNR.

I don't really have time to watch this stuff anymore, though.

Is it me, or is the score of TFA more present in this version on Disney+? And also, the score-only version of TLJ is on there, awesome!

Edit: no, nevermind, TFA still sounds as it did.

3 hours ago, Remco said:

Is it me, or is the score of TFA more present in this version on Disney+? And also, the score-only version of TLJ is on there, awesome!

Isn't this the first time TFA is available in Dolby Atmos? Maybe the sound mix is different and the music more prominent?

28 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Does anyone know if the Atmos mix for the prequels is in 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound? I'm guessing they'd be in 5.1, even though the Blu-rays were in 6.1.

Why would they be 5.1? I have no idea how Atmos really works, other than that "128 sound objects" thing.

According to the weirdos at originaltrilogy.com, at least every change made for the Blu-ray version was redone. Even the shot of the control panel that Obi-Wan uses on the Death Star with alien writing was redone. The real question is who notices this stuff. One notable change apparently is a shot of 3PO in the desert, which has been reverted back to how it originally looked. So this wasn't just slapped together or upscaled from the DVD master.

It seems to me like this was a totally new scan done of a pre-Blu-ray version which necessitated redoing the changes? Looks awesome to me from screenshots and apparently George Lucas said it was the best the movies have ever looked.

Every edition forgot to edit out the stormtrooper hitting his head, so clearly Lucas liked it! Thought Disney might edit it out or make the stormtrooper shorter, or put a CGI cushion on the door...

Ya1Yz.gif

46 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

According to the weirdos at originaltrilogy.com, at least every change made for the Blu-ray version was redone. Even the shot of the control panel that Obi-Wan uses on the Death Star with alien writing was redone. The real question is who notices this stuff. One notable change apparently is a shot of 3PO in the desert, which has been reverted back to how it originally looked. So this wasn't just slapped together or upscaled from the DVD master.

It seems to me like this was a totally new scan done of a pre-Blu-ray version which necessitated redoing the changes? Looks awesome to me from screenshots and apparently George Lucas said it was the best the movies have ever looked.

Finally it's all now proper.

Fair enough.

8 hours ago, Arpy said:

Every edition forgot to edit out the stormtrooper hitting his head, so clearly Lucas liked it! Thought Disney might edit it out or make the stormtrooper shorter, or put a CGI cushion on the door...

Ya1Yz.gif

This was referenced in Attack of the Clones when Jango Fett bumps his head on the door!

2 hours ago, Smaug the iron said:

How can the score only version be on there when TLJ will not be on Disney+ until 26/12?

No idea but I’m watching it right now. Maybe because I live in the Netherlands?

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Some flavors are better than others, though.

All the microedit nerds, especially of the Harry Potter variety, here are just as embarrassing as the OCD Star Wars purists or whatever the hell we want to call them.

5 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

All the microedit nerds, especially of the Harry Potter variety, here are just as embarrassing as the OCD Star Wars purists or whatever the hell we want to call them.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

They’re no more embarrassing than some who post at a message board dedicated to a film composer. 

13 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Maybe they’re not embarrassing, but their attention to detail is remarkable. Most times I can’t hear anything that would suggest an edit took place in postproduction.

What is a microedit anyway? I’m genuinely curious. Does it differ from some other kind of regular music edit?

On 11/14/2019 at 10:08 AM, rough cut said:

The changes in the SE’s are all hit and miss to me. Some improve the movies, some make them worse.

My favourite improvement is the restoration of lots of the original music as scored for Empire, especially the statement of the Imperial March at the end of Han Solo and the Princess.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, mstrox said:

It's only visible on the 4K scan, and since our big TV isn't even HD at the moment, I'll probably never see the new change

Whiplash update, we bought a 55" 4K TV this weekend, compromising that it was our Christmas present to each other.  It's amazing - unlike with our enormous projection screen TV from 1999, which went through three moves with us and has played a lot of shows, movies, and games in its time - we can actually read words on the TV screen now, and it doesn't cut off at the edges.  The future is now.   RIP to the old TV, by the way.

I don't really see the difference, or at least enough difference to care about, between the 4K things I streamed yesterday and the HD/Blu-ray quality, personally, so unless 4K disc becomes the new CHEAP standard, as Blu-ray has, I'm not even bothering getting a player.

Anyway, long story short, I blipped onto Disney+ yesterday and fast-forwarded to the Greedo/Macklunkey scene, which was jarring only in its newness, but was otherwise fine.

Nice, Troxy!  We got a 4K 55" last year and I love it too.

As far as 4K content goes, the problem with almost all 4K streamed content is that it's usually so compressed, it's often not that noticeably different than a good 1080p stream.  But if you can get good uncompressed 4K stuff, especially stuff with HDR10 or Dolby Vision HDR, the different can be astonishing.  See if your TV came with any apps that might have that; My TV has Roku built in, and there's a 4K app of some sort with amazing HDR content to show off the display.

Jay, I think we have the same TV, as ours is a Roku TV as well.  A $300 sale, combined with our failing TV was a pretty sweet deal, although tack on a bunch more for a stand....

I have that app.  We'll have to look at it sometime.  I've never been much of a picture guy - DVD has historically been fine, even on our HD upstairs TV, and cost is always a factor, so I don't know how much it will sway me in the grand scheme of things.