Ludwig Göransson & Joseph Shirley's THE MANDALORIAN (2019-present)

Evanus

• 1 month later...

(EDIT: sorry, I guess it's not the right thread !)

Re-recorded music from the show on CD for the first time, coming on May 6th:

From Ark Square latest newsletter:

STAR WARS STORIES
JOHN WILLIAMS - JOHN POWELL - LUDWIG GORANSSON

Label: Sony Classical (UE)
CD No: 19439929282
Release Date: 2022/05/06
Format: 1CD

The best music selection from THE MANDALORIAN, ROGUE ONE, and SOLO.
Conduc ted by Ondrej Vrabec, performed by Czech Studio Orchestra.

Track List

01. Main Theme (From Star Wars: The Mandalorian)
02. Grogu Theme (From Star Wars: The Mandalorian)
03. Luke Skywalker Hallway Theme (From Star Wars: The Mandalorian)
04. Boba Fett Theme (From Star Wars: The Mandalorian)
05. End Theme (From Star Wars: The Mandalorian)
06. Meet Han (From Solo: A Star Wars Story)
07. Flying with Chewie (From Solo: A Star Wars Story)
08. Reminiscence Therapy (From Solo: A Star Wars Story)
09. The Adventures of Han (From Solo: A Star Wars Story)
10. Main Theme (From Star Wars: Rogue One)
11. Imperial Suite (From Star Wars: Rogue One)
12. Jedha City Ambush (From Star Wars: Rogue One)
13. Jyn Erso and Hope Suite (From Star Wars: Rogue One)
14. Hope and End Credits (From Star Wars: Rogue One)

https://arksquare.net/detail.php?cdno=19439929282
https://www.amazon.co.jp/Star-Wars-Stories-Ondrej-Vrabec/dp/B09TMVTZVT/
https://www.amazon.fr/Star-Wars-Stories-Ondrej-Vrabec/dp/B09TMVTZVT/
https://www.amazon.de/Star-Wars-Stories-Ondrej-Vrabec/dp/B09TMVTZVT/

I think that anybody can re-record anybody else's compositions at any time, providing they pay a licensing fee to the rights-holder if the recording is sold/streamed for money.  I don't think any kind of permission is required.

Well it turns out that Czech Studio Orchestra album mentioned above coming out May 6th will not be the first release of re-recorded Mandalorian music. 

This album by the Danish National Symphony Orchestra dropping tomorrow includes the Mandalorian theme... And also, according to the website, music from "Rouge One" 

https://www.euroarts.com/labels/6871-galaxymphony-ii-galaxymphony-strikes-back

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It's not that bad actually. Now we have three audiophil versions of The Adventures of Han!

Wish we'll be spoilt for choice when it comes to Obi-Wan theme/suite.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/05/2022 at 11:41 AM, rough cut said:

I sampled some of the Star Wars Stories tracks, at least what is on YouTube, and it’s not that bad. There are plenty of worse recordings out there. If I were in my early teens and came across this as an introduction to soundtracks I could be worse off. Better off as well, granted, but to say that it’s dogshit just isn’t true.

Also, I do like the idea behind the album. A ‘no-John Williams (almost) Star Wars-album.’ It’s fun to see how the musical universe of Star Wars has grown outside of John Williams in the last couple of years.

458CF717-EA0F-4CDE-B97F-89A53F142F85.jpeg

I took a listen to the Mandalorian tracks and was delighted to hear that Göransson adapted Williams' Boba Fett theme from The Empire Strikes Back for Boba Fett. Didn't realize that before.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I took a listen to the Mandalorian tracks and was delighted to hear that Göransson adapted Williams' Boba Fett theme from The Empire Strikes Back for Boba Fett. Didn't realize that before.

Huh, I don’t think I caught that either! Can you share any examples/time stamps, please?

6 hours ago, Max said:

Huh, I don’t think I caught that either! Can you share any examples/time stamps, please?

The theme appears in TESB here during the first 30 seconds:

And in the Göransson track it starts at 0:53 and gets repeated multiple times after 2:20:

Is that an official concert arrangement or just an arrangement by Ondrej Vrabec? Because it's not used in the show or on the official TBBF soundtracks at all.

Also, I want to anally point out (to whomever made the arrangement) that that is NOT Boba Fett's theme, it's just an extension of The Imperial March. A lot of people have made that mistake over the years. Boba Fett's actual motif from TESB is at the beginning here:

2 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Is that an official concert arrangement or just an arrangement by Ondrej Vrabec? Because it's not used in the show or on the official TBBF soundtracks at all.

Then that's why I didn't recognize it before. Thanks for the info.

On 27/10/2022 at 2:28 AM, greenturnedblue said:

Samuel Kim has something similar on his channel

Not a fan of Kim but yes this is a straight up rip off of Samuel Kim. The structure of the track is exactly the same with the same leitmotivs played at the same time (even the incorrect ones like the fake Boba theme from ESB)

• 3 months later...
21 hours ago, Drew said:

Change the title to “Ludwig Göransson's THE MANDALORIAN (2019-2020)”.

Joseph Shirley is scoring season 3……………. 

WHATTT??! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

20 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Nolan asked him to fully focus on Oppenheimer.

Or maybe Göransson has new projects we don't know about.

I know why Zimmer wasn't hired for Tenet (schedule conflicting with Dune) but is there a reason why he was never attached to Oppenheimer? Have I missed something? 

I would like to know that as well. Was Zimmer again too busy with a Dune movie? Or did Nolan just enjoyed working with Göransson enough to hire him again?

Honestly, I think it's a little sad to see all those long partnerships (Zimmer and Nolan, Bates and Gunn, JNH and Shyamalan) just... ending. It's kinda like that Banshees of Inisherin movie: "I don't like you anymore, we're no longer friends, bye bye".

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I would like to know that as well. Was Zimmer again too busy with a Dune movie? Or did Nolan just enjoyed working with Göransson enough to hire him again?

Honestly, I think it's a little sad to see all those long partnerships (Zimmer and Nolan, Bates and Gunn, JNH and Shyamalan) just... ending. It's kinda like that Banshees of Inisherin movie: "I don't like you anymore, we're no longer friends, bye bye".

Zimmer focused on Dune but he also let slip in an interview that he wanted a break from working with Nolan after Dunkirk as that score was exhausting to do. I remember in 2017 that Nolan said that it was a tough scoring process as well. They aren’t on bad terms personally though I heard which is good.

I think that Zimmer probably chose not to do Oppenheimer because he technically should have time score it, even with Dune 2. Hopefully they work together in the future. With Tenet I felt like there was a missing component. I guess the score was all right in the film but something was definitively  missing.

JNH and Shaymalan is also a real shame. I wonder if it’s because JNH is too expensive for the budget of his latest films or if there’s another reason. JNH always speaks fondly of Shaymalan in interviews.

On 27/10/2022 at 3:13 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Boba Fett's actual motif from TESB is at the beginning here:

Curious, this segment was quoted in Jedi: Fallen Order a few times for the imperials.

Throughout the first half of this track, very apparent in 1:06. The only quote I could find on YouTube, but I'm certain there's two more.

I keep waiting for Darren Aronofsky to make the obvious decision to re-hire Clint Mansell. I likewise hope that Sam Mendes not working with Thomas Newman on Empire of Light was a one-off.

Guys look what I found in Target last night

MandoTargetFront.jpg

MandoTargetRear.jpg

I just found the product page:

https://www.target.com/p/ludwig-g-246-ransson-music-from-the-mandalorian-target-exclusive-vinyl/-/A-87817567

It turns out Discogs already knew about it: https://www.discogs.com/release/25369573-Ludwig-Göransson-Star-Wars-The-Mandalorian-Season-1-Music-From-The-Original-Series

And apparently this was released on on yellow vinyl in Canada: https://www.discogs.com/release/24537440-Ludwig-Göransson-Star-Wars-The-Mandalorian-Season-1-Music-From-The-Original-Series

And a picture disc in Europe: https://www.discogs.com/release/25465978-Ludwig-Göransson-Star-Wars-The-Mandalorian-Music-From-The-Original-Series

And a picture disc with the same program actually came out in 2020 in the US: https://www.discogs.com/release/16209007-Ludwig-Göransson-Star-Wars-The-Mandalorian-Music-From-The-Original-Series

So Disney Records:

-crafted a custom 40 minute highlights album they only released on vinyl;

-Licensed the full episode albums to Mondo Records to release on vinyl;

-Has not released or licensed anything for the CD format.

• 2 weeks later...

Great episode in terms of music! I heard a couple of great action variants on Mando's Fanfare and the Recorder Riff, as well as some nice reworking of both the Mandalorian Culture themes, plus we get to hear again IG-11's theme, as well as a subdued variation of Bo Katan's theme near the end.

Also, the music for the Purrgils was quite lovely and I hope that's one of the cues that appears in the album. If anyone is interested in a more in-depth analysis of what's heard in the episode, here's my breakdown, which I will be doing weekly with each new episode.

Feel free to check it out, leave your thoughts or share with anyone who might like it. Cheers!

3x01: Chapter 17 - The Apostate

You've said in your post that the new composer is Shirley Walker. That is someone else. She did Batman: The Animated Series and sadly isn't alive anymore.

The composer here is Joseph Shirley.

43 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

You've said in your post that the new composer is Shirley Walker. That is someone else. She did Batman: The Animated Series and sadly isn't alive anymore.

The composer here is Joseph Shirley.

Damn, you're right! I don't even know how I hadn't realized this. Thanks for the heads up! Already corrected it!

1 hour ago, Knight of Ren said:

Damn, you're right! I don't even know how I hadn't realized this. Thanks for the heads up! Already corrected it!

Wait a minute... did you think that the composer working under Goransson for the past 8 years was the Batman: TAS composer, who'd be almost 80 now if she was still alive, or did you know it was an up-and-coming young person, but just typed the wrong name?