Ludwig Göransson & Joseph Shirley's THE MANDALORIAN (2019-present)

Evanus

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Unreleased music from episodes 1-4, or what is most likely music from 5-8 that will be on Vol 2 this Friday?

Uh I'm not even sure XD. Maybe it's just bits and pieces from season 1 or 2 that I can't remember. Hopefully some more experienced people (@Knight of Ren ) can help...

Albums drop on Friday and the show airs on Wednesdays

I just can't remember if the Vol 1 album dropped the Friday after episode 4 aired, or the Friday after episode 5 aired

if it was the week of Episode 5, then yea, it won't be out this Friday, it'll be out next Friday

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Was Vol 1 on Aha music by Wednesday afternoon?  I don't remember

I think Volume 1 was released the following Wednesday, that being the day episode 5 was released, so I think we can assume it will be released similarly on Wednesday of next week, or Friday at most.

20 minutes ago, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

Uh I'm not even sure XD. Maybe it's just bits and pieces from season 1 or 2 that I can't remember. Hopefully some more experienced people (@Knight of Ren ) can help...

Thanks for sharing that podcast! When I have some time I will check it out and I will tell if I recognize any unreleased pieces of music.

Cool, thanks for getting to the bottom of it.  My memory was clearly faulty!

Next Wednesday sounds right to me, but this Friday would be a nice surprise!

14 hours ago, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

Nice epsiode! Great to hear that the more symphonic style was not only requested by Joseph, but also by the showrunners themselves!

Just checked it out. Nice interview and it gives some interesting details about his relationship with Göransson and the overall sound of the show. He clarified that the theme I've been calling the "Mandalore theme" is clearly an extension of Bo Katan's material, so it's a fitting name, since it represents Bo's journey through the season to become the ruler of Mandalore.

The music used through the podcast is mostly from Book of Boba Fett and some bits from S2 and S3, but everything has already been released as far as I recognized.

Great! Could that mean that it's finally coming this Friday?? Anyway, looking at the tracklist it seems that all the important tracks are there. The action set-pieces from The Pirate, The Spies and The Return seem to be mostly complete, and those last 3 tracks in particular are going to be great!

The only important bit apparently missing are the opening minutes of The Spies, including the title card, which features a cool interplay between the Recorder riff and one of Gideon's motifs, but it could just be that the app doesn't pick it up.

6 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

The only important bit apparently missing are the opening minutes of The Spies, including the title card, which features a cool interplay between the Recorder riff and one of Gideon's motifs, but it could just be that the app doesn't pick it up.

Or it opens "Welcomed Guests"?

It is tomorrow!!!!

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/the-mandalorian-season-3-vol-2-chapters-21-24-original-score/1683417974

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sasha Flute is a real person's name? 

Apparently (according to Google) it's what someone called Lizzo calls her flute. I have no idea who that is or why.

OK that makes so much sense that she performed flute on the score; She also acted in the movie UglyDolls and played flute on that score.

3 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

Well, the interplay of Boba and Mando's themes was absent in The Book of Boba Fett Vol. 2... so yeah.

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Glad to be wrong!

It looks like the beggining of The Return and most of Guns For Hire was mostly tracked then.

12 minutes ago, mattrushing02 said:

Does anyone have a breakdown of what tracks go with what episodes for the volume 2?

7 hours ago, CGCJ said:

Contents of the second series 3 OST courtesy of AHA Music:

Reveal hidden contents

Full track list and durations courtesy of ACRCloud Music:

Reveal hidden contents

I already did a more detailed breakdown of the tracks, as some of them are made out of several different cues, and in the case of Sleeping Beauties, from different episodes.

Chapter 21: The Pirate

Imperial Thinking

Adelphi Jukebox

Siege of Nevarro  – in the episode it segues into an unreleased cue, which in turn segues into...

Open Fire Below

Walk the Way Together – the episode has some some unreleased material at the beginning of the cue

Sleeping Beauties [0:14 – 2:34] – the epsiode has some extra unreleased material at the end

Chapter 22: Guns for Hire

All is Fair In Love and War

Plazir Royal Hall

Battle Droids

A Challenge [0:00 – 2:17] – the episode has some material at the end not on the OST

A Challenge [2:17 – End]

Chapter 23: The Spies

Welcomed Guests

Langskib [0:00 – 1:37]

Langskib [1:37 – End]

The Great Forge – a bit longer in episode

Chapter 24: The Return

Sleeping Beauties [0:00 – 0:14]

Sleeping Beauties [2:34 – End] – it’s a bit longer in episode

Let’s Take Back Our Planet  – quite extended in episode, with some unreleased material at the beginning, and then a couple of minutes inserted at 1:25 of the OST

Stronger Together

Forever Forged in My Heart

Is it possible that middle part of Sleeping Beauties was written for Episode 8 but not used there, and then also tracked into Episode 5?

Or is it obvious he just jumbled up the order for listening purposes

It could be, since there is a cue in between those two sections of Sleeping Beauties in Chapter 24, so perhaps it was intended to be used there and then got replaced, and Shirley decided to use that section at the end of Chapter 21.

While watching Episode 8 on Wednesday night, I noticed a lot of cool score I wanted to have on album!

I'm glad the OST album for the second half of the season is already out.  I've listened to it twice but haven't analyzed it much yet.  Looking forward to revisiting while following along with @Knight of Ren's post above.

One aspect I will say that really stands out from the album is the great pirate music for that pirate bad guy, it's SO fun!  The choir is great there, and also the choir is great for those red guard guys from the last 2 episodes too.  

Joseph Shirley did a really good job scoring this season of television; I will watch his career with great interest!

On 21/04/2023 at 1:54 PM, Knight of Ren said:

A Challenge

Approximately the first 2 minutes of the track underscore Bo Katan’s challenge against Axe Woves, who refuses to acknowledge her as their leader. Shirley uses Bo’s sound motif, used extensively in her introduction sequence in S2, and joins it by some loud, dissonant synth passages and wild percussion that build the tension during the challenge. During Din’s speech, at 2:15, we are presented with an extended rendition of the Recorder riff, in its traditional form until the western motif and the Mandalorian Culture themes appear at 3:27. Bo’s sound motif builds to a complete statement of the Mandalore theme at 3:52, which in a similar way to what happens in “Walk The Way Together” leads into Bo Katan’s theme at 4:04, this glorious statement underscoring the moment she gains back the Dark Saber, thus making her the true ruler of Mandalore. It’s so clever how the composer has been playing around with these two ideas to represent Bo, her journey and the planet of Mandalore, and the development of these two ideas is probably my favorite part of the season in terms of music.

Compare this with the music as seen here from S2 (not released)

Time stamped for ease but the entire 6 minutes is the track

What's with the fact that the new Bo Katan theme and the Dr. Hemlock theme from Bad Batch are the exact same, save for the last note*? Is this some sort of inside joke between Kevin Kiner and Ludwig Göransson/Joseph Shirley? And if that weren't weird enough, both themes premiered in episodes that aired the same day: March 1 (S3E1 of Mando, S2E11 of Bad Batch).

*EDIT: It turns out even the last note is the same; it’s just up an octave in the Bo Katan theme…

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

What's with the fact that the new Bo Katan theme and the Dr. Hemlock theme from Bad Batch are the exact same, save for the last note? Is this some sort of inside joke between Kevin Kiner and Ludwig Göransson/Joseph Shirley? And if that weren't weird enough, both themes premiered in episodes that aired the same day: March 1 (S3E1 of Mando, S2E11 of Bad Batch).

Bo Katan is actually Hemlock in a mask

5 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

Oh yeah that definitely feels like a bit of tracking was involved

But worthwhile tracking.

Worthwhile because it means its on the soundtrack 😂😂

On 23/04/2023 at 12:09 PM, Tydirium said:

What's with the fact that the new Bo Katan theme and the Dr. Hemlock theme from Bad Batch are the exact same, save for the last note*? Is this some sort of inside joke between Kevin Kiner and Ludwig Göransson/Joseph Shirley? And if that weren't weird enough, both themes premiered in episodes that aired the same day: March 1 (S3E1 of Mando, S2E11 of Bad Batch).

*EDIT: It turns out even the last note is the same; it’s just up an octave in the Bo Katan theme…

Oh wow.

Like the Imperial theme in Andor being very similar to Vader's new one from Kenobi, I guess everyone is hitting the same walls and creating similar themes.

On 22/4/2023 at 12:41 PM, DiamondFire said:

Compare this with the music as seen here from S2 (not released)

Time stamped for ease but the entire 6 minutes is the track

LOVE this track! Why would they leave it unreleased lol… what a crime. 

All the damn complainers (and the pandemic, tracking etc.) are why we couldn't have nice things.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

The compilation style albums we got for season 2 and 3 really disappoint me.  I loved the episodic albums season 1 got.

Except buying each episode's album works out rather pricey doesn't it. 

On 26/04/2023 at 7:57 PM, Laserschwert said:

Another one for the "wish it was real"-pile (I know, they could fill more CDs, but these look like slightly less unlikely releases):

MandoComp.jpg

Apparently I never posted to say how much I love this! Great work! 

Hello !

yes this season 3 album is great, a lot of very nice themes.

Unfortunately I didin't find one of the greatest cue of the show. 

It's the music right before the starts of "Let's Take Back Our Planet" on episode 8. It can also be heard during Nevarro's street battle on episode 5.

Do I need another listen or do you confirm it's not on the released album (volume 2) ?

I have extracted and edited this music from the episode 5 audio to show you what I'm talking about.

May I join a wav file to my message or is it forbidden ?

Thanks ;)