Ludwig Göransson & Joseph Shirley's THE MANDALORIAN (2019-present)

Evanus

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh I completely missed that you were asking about the Episode 7 end credits cue, and not the standard one played in all the other episodes.  My bad

To be fair, when I talk about how great this theme is, I refer to the excellent main credits recording.

At first (say by episode 3) I said to Stefan that this is the best TV theme since Game of Thrones (another unremarkable series score carried almost entirely by its one great instance of inspired melodic brevity). A few episodes later though and I was finding new detail and deeper appreciation in the Mandalorian cue. In no small measure it is standout (in a vast sea of overlapping TV writing mediocrity). Game of Thrones was good out of sheer repetition and inescapable popularity, but you can't dissect it, not much anyway. Yet one can magnify right in on the various parts that make up The Mandalorian theme, and there are layers of detail there. In these times, it's ambitious AF.

It is worth mentioning that the show itself is good but not great.

For GOT I only liked the main theme.  Maybe the Lannister theme.

For Mando the more I listened to the OST albums the more I love the whole thing.  The albums are all exciting.  Every episode he manages to introduce awesome new ideas that sound great every time.  Well, season 1 anyway.  Season 2 is half tracked season 1 cues and half new material, unfortunately. I think only because of covid.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

For Mando the most I listened to the OST albums the more I love the whole thing.  Well, season 1 anyway.  Season 2 is half tracked season 1 cues and half new material, unfortunately. 

Gah, I can already sense my disappointment. 

This score is really deprived of standout setpiece cues, thus far. I was hoping they might begin to surface in S2, but alas...

To clarify: I'm not necessarily referring to orchestral material. Ludwig really hit the ground running with his new SW musical ID, and of course I expect that great sound to continue.

On 11/19/2020 at 5:43 PM, Quintus said:

This score is really bereft of standout setpiece cues, thus far.

Couldn't disagree more with that statement.

HammerTime from episode 1, Jawas Attack from Episode 2, Mando Rescue from episode 3, Training The Plebs from episode 4, Speederbikes from episode 5, Mando's Back from episode 6, The Arrival from episode 7, and then A Thousand Tears / Nurse and Protect / Sacrifice / Mando Flies from episode 8 are fantastic set piece cues!

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

Couldn't disagree more with that statement.

HammerTime from episode 1, Jawas Attack from Episode 2, Mando Rescue from episode 3, Training The Plebs from episode 4, Speederbikes from episode 5, Mando's Back from episode 6, The Arrival from episode 7, and then The Ewebb / A Thousand Tears / Nurse and Protect / Sacrifice / Mando Flies from episode 8 are fantastic set piece cues!

Useful title list, ama defo gonna take the time to really listen to these. Will report back at some point. Feeling hopeful. 

2 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

When do we expect this album to be out?

We don't actually know *anything*.  This shazam stuff was discovered and we're completely assuming that "Volume 1" will be released with the 4th episode tomorrow.  But there's literally 0 evidence of that yet.  Here's hoping!

Just noticed another silly typo I made earlier which I want to straighten up:

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

At first (say by episode 3) I said to Stefan that this is the best TV since Game of Thrones

I meant to say tv THEME. 

Fuck, Game of Thrones the series isn't even top twenty for me. 

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

It really does, thank you!

and now I can determine that Goransson is a composer of a certain quality. One to watch, perhaps. But the late John Barry would have been disappointed that he doesn't always conduct his own work.

Well just to sum up that article, it looks like Goransson has been turning to the same team/company of orchestrators for the last few films and projects he's worked on (including Blank Panther and Mandalorian). But my understanding of Goransson is that he's very hands on and proficient as a producer, so I imagine that his mockups (he's definitely not a pencil/paper type a la Williams/Shore) are pretty detailed and probably a thorough blueprint for orchestrators.

At the end of the day, I think Goransson falls into those hybrid performer/composer types. He carries a lot of experience around sound and music production (as his years in TV and hiphop speak to), but probably not the guy to expect to be the return of the Williams-esque symphonist. 

4 hours ago, publicist said:

What's the thing they all do now, striping? (recording sections of the orchestra etc. on different days etc.)    The idea of an orchestra conductor seems a hopelessly romantic dream for stuff like that.

Indeed. I've only ever liked it when Tom Newman pieces his ensembles and sounds together...even then, sometimes yielding questionable results.

And that's why so many of these scores sound so dry and thin as an ensemble. I was listening to The Queen's Gambit the other day and was disappointed to hear half the sections with sample strings playing substitute to the real thing too. To think, there was a time when TV used to get budgets for full orchestras. Now, $100 million productions like The Crown are lucky to even have a few live soloists.

7 hours ago, KK said:

At the end of the day, I think Goransson falls into those hybrid performer/composer types. He carries a lot of experience around sound and music production (as his years in TV and hiphop speak to), but probably not the guy to expect to be the return of the Williams-esque symphonist. 

Oh these days I tend to prefer a hybrid orchestral sound over the more traditional symphonic one, at least at the standard of the compositions we get nowadays. Right now my tastes have altered to a point where I love the timbre of a real orchestra, but one where it is then infused with electro/synth elements. Even better if there's a mean beat in there somewhere.

Which is why my attention is suddenly on Mr Göransson. 

Oh and they kept that kickass transition into the same Razor Crest recording with new synth embellishments, what a kickass first track! Mando is back indeed, baby!

LOL and then it turns real scary of course as the spiders start to hatch

----

Looks like the Resistance theme is not on the soundtrack.  I hope that's not everyone's main takeaway, there's a lot of great music here.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

OK now I'm on the cues for the episode I haven't seen yet :lol:

What?

Spoiler

While it is true the cue you are referring to is not included, the actual theme is.

5 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'll make sure to read that later tonight after I watch the episode!!!

EDIT: Oh nevermind just got to the last track @Spider-Fal:lol:  Worth the spoiler to listen to the whole thing.  It does make it weirder that the other cue was left off....

6 minutes ago, Gojira said:

But... but... it sounds like "EVE" from Wall-E... not that this makes it less beautiful.

The similarity is definitely there.  Not annoyingly so, but yeah I hear it.