Ludwig Göransson & Joseph Shirley's THE MANDALORIAN (2019-present)

Evanus

Just listened to the Season 2 album.

Is it my impression or does the music in S2 is more electronic and harsh than S1? Parts of it reminded me of Gorannsson's Tenet, which was already very synth.

Maybe the pandemic made him score much of the season on his own studio, playing synths and guitars?

Here's the cover art, track list, and where I've found it online

1000x1000bb.webp

1 Mando Is Back 4:04
2 Enjoy the Fights 2:55
3 The Marshal's Tale 6:05
4 Tusken Raiders 3:18
5 Get the Child 2:06
6 Beneath the Ice 5:25
7 Snacks 2:46
8 Reunited 1:40
9 Ship o hoj, Mandalorians!
10 Long Live the Empire 4:05
11 Back Together 2:19
12 Experiment 5:16
13 Quite a Soldier 2:46

TOTAL TIME - 50:44

https://tidal.com/browse/album/162416181
https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/a/ced2hrxdli2wa
https://music.apple.com/us/album/1540684083
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08NP5P6G8/

https://open.spotify.com/album/2NxNzw1ohPc2Hhjaq2j3tW?si=ffKXUJIPQqqdn3_N6jzLIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjAP4IzvDVY&list=OLAK5uy_nk1cACYCWskEf8LlHITvCA9gMUaBskQ-Y

Been enjoying this in the background while I work today.  Will need to listen more closely later, but so far I'm really enjoying it!

The cover art... I think I've seen this before, it's used in the banner ads for the show in the Disney+ app right? 

4 hours ago, Alan said:

Some rather Snoke-ish choir in Experiment!

I haven't listen to the soundtrack yet but THAT scene absolutely have Snoke theme on it! Great moment.

Finally was able to hear the whole new OST album.

Eh, it's a mixed bag.  Overall, it's more sound design-y and less melodic than the Season 1 OSTs.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, however, it really feels like this is only because of covid recording restrictions, and not any kind of organic shift based on the storytelling.  It felt that way in the episodes and it feels that way here too.

Also, the album has no ending, it just stops abruptly, really bad decision.  They should have either gone with a non-chronological approach to find something better to end with, or brough it something from the season 1 OST to end things here, like maybe a new mix of the main theme track or something.  I dunno.

Those negatives aside, there's plenty of cool new stuff here, lots of moments to enjoy, and I feel like I'll warm up to the new sound over time.

Overall though, this album feels like it's only telling half a story and then stopping short, which is different from Season 1, where each episode OST felt like it's own complete mini story.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Serious question: What other electronic scores (or portions of scores) have you heard that you like / don't like?

I dunno off hand, but I’ve listened at least once to very nearly every tentpole/blockbuster/whatever score of the last decade.  And comparing to more synthetic cues by people like Zimmer or Junkie or Balfe or McCreary or Jackman or Bates, I find the production here more interesting and less generic than with those. “Ship o hoj” is completely badass and engaging start to finish!  The sounds, the beats, the motifs, I just like it!

Finally we got this! Most of the important tracks are here, with the biggest missing ones being the Tusken theme when they arriva at Mos Pelgo, some more Baby Yoda and the Eggs music and March of the Resistance statement in episode 2 (but we got the one in episode 4!)

One minor dissapointment is that some tracks are mixed together in a weird way, like in Marshal's Tale, where the travelling music flows into the tale cue, but the transition is quite off, maybe just for me, but I don't know

Not sure if this is any sort of motif that can be found anywhere else, but I noticed this figure that shows up in both these tracks:

(1:09)

(1:44)

EDIT: It might actually just be an underlying counterpoint to the show’s main theme. Either way, those two spots are the same.

Even in the first two there are other instances. I'm 100% positive the Razor Crest fanfare in Mando Is Back is the "The Mandalorian" recording (EDIT: yup, they phase), with a new synth layer. It'd fit with the report that only ch16 used brass too.

I'm not sure why they went to such lengths to avoid the Force theme in season 1, but are now freely using the Resistance theme in season 2.

I got the impression Ludwig wanted to avoid the baggage with reinterpreting Williams' themes.

Seems there's been a shift in direction between seasons. Or maybe someone specifically requested the Resistance theme be included from now on, as the show moves towards the ST-era.

It's a bit of weird but inescapable situation that the soundtrack can't track the rhythms of the stories from episode to episode because of the necessity of re-using so much music, but given that, this soundtrack works as a "listening experience" much better than you might expect.

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's a bit of weird but inescapable situation that the soundtrack can't track the rhythms of the stories from episode to episode because of the necessity of re-using so much music, but given that, this soundtrack works as a "listening experience" much better than you might expect.

Yes, however it still ends much to abruptly. 

10 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Not sure if this is any sort of motif that can be found anywhere else, but I noticed this figure that shows up in both these tracks:

EDIT: It might actually just be an underlying counterpoint to the show’s main theme. Either way, those two spots are the same.

When I found some other examples in the latter two episodes of Season One I had thought it may be connected to IG-11 or some final confrontation, but I realize now, as is often the case, that it doesn't fit within our understanding of leitmotif,  and is merely used in a number of settings for a number of purposes as Goransson sees fit. Some more examples:

9 hours ago, John Chambers said:

If you prefer individual covers for each episode I found some great ones here: 

https://twitter.com/mattrushing02

Hoping he keeps making them.

These are cool!

Does the OST breakdown like this?

Episode 1: tracks 1-4

Episode 2: tracks 5-7

Episode 3: tracks 8-10

Episode 4: tracks 11-13

?

Watched the The Siege again this evening. Really really love Goransson's take on March of the Resistance. It makes sense in context and not just in the sense of casting it as a lament for Alderaan (which is works beautifully as). The X-Wing pilot is essentially talking about the begginings of what will become the First Order and with it, the start of the resistance. Really nice, intelligent scoring for what I think (tell me if I'm wrong), is the first direct reference to Williams' material. I appreciate that the first time wasn't a big sweeping blast of one of the classic themes but something low-key and, for most people watching, probably very subtle.

16 minutes ago, Alan said:

Watched the The Siege again this evening. Really really love Goransson's take on March of the Resistance. It makes sense in context and not just in the sense of casting it as a lament for Alderaan (which is works beautifully as). The X-Wing pilot is essentially talking about the begginings of what will become the First Order and with it, the start of the resistance. Really nice, intelligent scoring for what I think (tell me if I'm wrong), is the first direct reference to Williams' material. I appreciate that the first time wasn't a big sweeping blast of one of the classic themes but something low-key and, for most people watching, probably very subtle.

There was a subtle instance of March of the Resistance when the X-Wings depart at the end of The Passenger, other than that there haven't been any direct references to Williams material.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

?

I have the same question, have only managed to watch each episode a single time so far so be great to get confirmation.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

1 hour ago, John Chambers said:

I have the same question, have only managed each episode a single time so far so be great to get confirmation.

I found this, which I think is made by @CGCJ, who also made similar spreadsheets for The Clone Wars and Rebels.

The Mandalorian Spreadsheet

But yeah, basically is what @Jay said

I rewtached chapter 11 and here's what I think is tracked music. Again, some of it appears on the album, but it could be just re-recorded stuff from previous episodes, or even a nex mix of older tracks. I will soon update with chapter 12:

Chapter 11 - The Heiress

Spoiler

-When they arrive at Trask, Trashed Crest (Episode 2), only the first half

-During the rough landing, variations on the gang motif from Hyperspace (Episode 6)

-The title card I think is tracked from Hey Mando! (Episode 1)

-When Mando travels with in the quarren ship, To The Jawas (Episode 2) plays, but the second half, instead of the jawa motif, plays a variation on the recorder riff with some pirate-y instrumentation

-During the attack, when they are almost done, the end of Back for Beskar (Episode 1) is tracked in with some extra material

-Long Live The Empire is mostly new but I think the opening statement of Moff Gideon's Theme is tracked from the beginning of The Arrival (Episode 7). Also the end has a new mix (or new recording) of the beginning of Back for Beskar (Episode 1) and the middle section of Clan of Two (Episode 8)

-After some tense music, when Mando grabs the squid-like creature, The Mandalorian Orchestral (Episode 7) plays but edited to fit with the end of the episode

Also, I noticed that Ship o hoj, Mandalorians! (I don't get that title) is split in three sections in the episode, with some extra music in between (mostly Bo Katan material). And the section that corresponds to the attack on the Imperial Ship is heavily edited and shortened on album, I guess to provide a better listening experience

On 11/21/2020 at 12:36 PM, crocodile said:

I wasn't sure about the reference in the second episode but in the latest one it is definitely March of the Resistance. Quite a cool sombre statement.

Karol

I entirely missed the reference in the second episode. I guess it was the last thing I expected to hear.

The reference in episode 4 made me go "hang on a  minute!" and rewind, but even after listening carefully I thought "it's almost MOTR" but not quite. However I then read this thread and found out about the episode 2 reference. Going back and listening to that one, it's really, really obvious what it is.