Ludwig Göransson & Joseph Shirley's THE MANDALORIAN (2019-present)

Evanus

That's right! Imagine a mix of Ahsoka and Mando's theme with a bass flute...

But seriously, I think that the music for those two shows is a bit underrated. I mean, it's not Williams, but apart from that, it has some great themes and development of them, and I think Ahsoka's theme is quite memorable, at least in terms of how its used in the series

So if it appears in Mandalorian, I'm going to be very happy

I'd prefer Goransson to score the entire show with only his own themes

Anybody else always forget if his last name has 2 ns and 1 s or 1 n and 2 ss?

Granted I always forget for Scarlet Johansson's name too

Maybe I'll always remember now that I've typed out my confusion

If he ends up not using them it would be okay because his material is already really great on its own.

The things is that the first season didn't called for any thematic reference, maybe aside of The Force Theme with some Baby Yoda scenes, but I think this season is going to make more references to previous characters and events, so it would make more sense to accompany them with previously established themes.

But whatever happens, I will be happy with as long as we get more Star Wars music!

43 minutes ago, BLUMENKOHL said:

Finally catching up on this show. Göransson is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since Williams.

No, that would be John Powell. Göransson's work is great though and appreciably fresh.

I wish I'd known about 7digital before I bought all of these soundtracks off of Amazon. Quality maxes out at 256kbps according to Spek, and just as I've transitioned into wanting to collect everything in CD-Quality of higher audio.

Oh well. I'll rebuy them because I want to support the artists and the format. It's just going to take a while because my wife doesn't let me buy anything.

The show is waaaay over-hyped. The music is not.

The dryness of the recordings is I think what Star Wars would sound like if you sent modern recording equipment back to 1977. Really nice touch.

• 2 weeks later...

Roger Feigelson is "twisting arms" to get to do a physical CD release through Intrada

From the Solo thread on FSM

I suppose there is a chance that Intrada might be able to get a CD release at somepoint in the future. However, we're probably more likely to see Disney give a physical release to Mono for Vinyl release as with The Mandolorian rather than giving it to Intrada for CD.

That said i will be buying the digital so long as a) it's available lossless and b) it's available in the UK.

I will happily buy a CD release as well, should one be forthcoming in the future.

This looks great. I'm twisting arms for CDs on these, so who knows!

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=141620&forumID=1&archive=0

Finally revisited the whole thing in preparation, after listening mostly just to my own album. I quickly made up my mind to tack some "bonus tracks" onto it, I left some great stuff off!

And while I was at it, I finally read Jerry's excellent notes while listening and loved them!

This write-ups have been amazing and helped me discover some details I missed on my listenings!

I have been revisiting the show and the music in preparation for the Second Season and I found a little motif that reocurs through at least 2 tracks, altough I don't know if it's coincidence or it was intentional

It's the high descending line, which sound svery similar in both tracks, so I don't know if it's a small action motif or what.

It could also be a variation on the Mando Utility/Dramatic Motif as @The Illustrious Jerrycalled it, but I'm not sure

That companion guide looks great and I cannot wait to take a look at it!

And I'm glad I helped you discover this little detail

About that motif you mentioned, I think it could be a motif for the group preparing their final standoff, as I think the time it plays in This Is It has nothing to do with IG. But then again, I could be wrong, as I don't remember exactly how the music synced up with that scene, so it could be a part where IG is on-screen

BTW, just two days left before the new season. Cannot wait!

Apologies if I missed this, but do we know for sure whether or not this season will have weekly soundtracks like last time? As in, should we expect a soundtrack late tonight? I’m hoping so.

8 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Apologies if I missed this, but do we know for sure whether or not this season will have weekly soundtracks like last time? As in, should we expect a soundtrack late tonight? I’m hoping so.

While it has not been officially confirmed, it is safe to assume that the album will drop roughly alongside each episode (8am UTC) as per usual. Having set the precedent with Season 1, I would be very much surprised if anything to the contrary were to occur. Either way, we'll know in a few hours! 

Not sure when I'll watch the new episode, but I decided to listen to the eight season 1 OSTs this morning.

Just at the end credits track of episode 1 now.  Overall, I felt this album was off, like it's too short.  Is this the album missing the most amount of cues from its episode?  It felt like just when it was getting going, I was already at the end credits.  Maybe as he went on he decided to include more and more cues from each episode in the OST albums?  Or is it all in my head

Ah OK.  I guess the first ep just doesn't have a lot of the big signature moments I remember from the whole season.

I haven't listened to the full OSTs in a while, I mostly listen to your arranged season edit!

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Just at the end credits track of episode 1 now.  Overall, I felt this album was off, like it's too short.  Is this the album missing the most amount of cues from its episode?  

Here's an approximate breakdown of released and unreleased music for each episode:

image.png

---

Still no news about Chapter 9's score after a few hours...:(

Thanks for that!

Almost at the end of the episode 2 OST album now.  Overall a much more fulfilling album than 1!