Ludwig Göransson & Joseph Shirley's THE MANDALORIAN (2019-present)

Evanus

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Isn't the theme that opens "The Seeing Stones" a theme for Grogu and Mando's relationship?  If it's not what it is, just a theme for Grogru himself?

Pretty sure thats the same theme Yannick mentioned earlier.

5 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

That should have been lukes theme.

.oh wait, its the falcon theme now so...

The Force theme is Luke's theme since TFA ;)

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Isn't the theme that opens "The Seeing Stones" a theme for Grogu and Mando's relationship?  If it's not what it is, just a theme for Grogru himself?

hehe I had just mentioned that a few posts above you there. You're correct! 

15 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

You're on the right track! That is, as far as we've been able to tell, the theme for Mando & child, as it has essentially charted their relationship from early on in Season One. 

There have been a few more allusions to it this season as well, such as in Vol. 1's Experiment as well as in Vol. 2's The Seeing Stone.

I must admit it was a shame to assist to The Return of...

Spoiler

The Luke!!!

...without hearing the.. 

Spoiler

Star Wars Main

...Theme.

At least he gaved us a little bit of The...

Spoiler

Force

...Theme at the end.

12 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Thoughts? (I think it’s a bit of a stretch. It’s just 3 notes… But idk.)

Hmmm, could be!

"This video received a copyright claim for sounding too close to the original so I had to trim out a few segments in the first half. Please start the video from 1:55 and you will be able to play the entire piece! Thanks for listening!"

This videos are great! I love seeing how the music syncs up with scenes and the Nite Owls attack for example fits perfectly. I love that cue.

I noticed that there is a little string motif (similar to The Client's theme) that plays two times when the cockpit with the Imperial Officers is seen so maybe its a secondary motif for the Empire, but I'm not sure, as I don't know if it played elsewhere

Also, I realizaed that "A Friend", at least part of it it's just an epic variation on the Mando & Grogu Motif, right? The one that sounds like Kylo's theme

1 minute ago, Knight of Ren said:

I noticed that there is a little string motif (similar to The Client's theme) that plays two times when the cockpit with the Imperial Officers is seen so maybe its a secondary motif for the Empire, but I'm not sure, as I don't know if it played elsewhere

I wondered that too but no other examples came to mind. I'll keep an ear open though!

2 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

Also, I realizaed that "A Friend", at least part of it it's just an epic variation on the Mando & Grogu Motif, right? The one that sounds like Kylo's theme

Could you timestamp that for me perhaps? I've been having trouble picking up on any references in that cue thus far. Thank you!

8 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Could you timestamp that for me perhaps? I've been having trouble picking up on any references in that cue thus far. Thank you!

These are the most prominent ones. For me it sounds like a variation on that theme, with the last two notes swaped, so instead of going down then up, they just go down.

Also could be a coincidence and this is just a new theme for Luke maybe?

The opening riff  in A Friend is the same as the opening in Open The Door, so there's definetly some material Goransson created for Luke

But apart from that, A Friend felt like brand new music to me when I first listened

That's a great breakdown! I also hope we would get some additional cues, especially the action set-piece from Chapter 15, but I'm not complaining since we got some really great cues

I think Open The Door might be one of my favorite Goransson cues he has ever done. I love how he takes a couple of his own motifs and develops them in their most emotional statement yet, making for a really ET inspired finale!

Was randomly skipping through some Season 1 cues when I made a really neat discovery! I know that the Bright Eyes motif first appeared in the Chapter 5 track of the same name, although it was then completely isolated. Well I just realized that later that episode, in Farewell, the complimentary motif, which I've dubbed Grogu/Snacks, makes a brief appearance on strings over the fanfare. This is long before it became it's own thing! Check it out (1:10):

And just an example to clarify/compare what this becomes in Season 2 (0:08):

Yes! "The Story" in particular is getting a lot of attention from me. I love the development of the Kuiil flute and chimes motif throughout as well as the quick rendition of Yoda’s theme. Such a calming track. I can’t get enough of this album.

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

image.png

Hey folks!

I've spent the last few months updating my writing and getting to know the ins and outs of a basic website, and I'm now ready (and super excited :D) to share the first few posts from The Music of The Mandalorian, a collection of write-ups on Goransson's score in standard blog format. 

The first round of posts includes a (hopefully) comprehensive thematic catalogue, covering 44 different musical ideas, as well as the isolated score videos for Chapter 8Chapter 11, and Chapter 16. There's still a lot of editing required before the timestamps and other write-ups are up to date, but I think this is a pretty good start.

Of course, I'm still getting accustomed to the technical aspect, which was hardly my forte to begin with. Fortunately, something like this doesn't entail too many complications! I'll post about any updates here as they happen. If you're a fan of the show and score (or know someone who is), feel free to take a look. Feedback is always welcome. 

Thanks! 

Hell yeah! Thank you so much!

• 3 weeks later...

image.png

Hello folks!

I've made a few quick updates to The Music of The Mandalorian in the past two weeks. First of all, I've included Disco Stu's Chapter 4 video with the previous isolated score videos that had been posted, so as to keep them all together. Also posted is a breakdown of the amount of music in each episode, as well as how much has been released vs. unreleased. The post links to CGCJ's spreadsheet and includes a chart indicating estimated times. 

Aside from that there are a few small changes to the theme catalogue and layout. Most significantly, I have clarified what I hope the site will cover in the future. The intention is for all the music from under the Mando umbrella, including The Book of Boba Fett, Ahsoka, and Rangers of the New Republic, to be catalogued, regardless of whether or not Goransson will score the concurrent shows mentioned. 

I'd expect Goransson would have had some idea of the showrunners' plan from the start, so I have high hopes for his involvement going forward, especially if they want to achieve musical continuity. Barring an announcement to the contrary, I'm anticipating him to score the upcoming Boba Fett show, having already established a strong theme (which played rather bombastically over the show reveal, no less). In any case, I look forward to seeing what happens!

I'm still reviewing some previous write-ups and revising the timestamps, but I hope to finish majority of those things by Easter, or thereabouts. I'll post about any more updates here as they happen. If you're a fan of the show and score (or know someone who is), you're welcome to take a look. Feedback is always welcome. 

Thanks and cheers!

The SABAM repertoire recently added entries for the series 2 releases, revealing full track credits including additional composer credits! (Unfortunately, there's currently no way to know which cues/parts of the track each did without a full cue list)

Spoiler

The Marshel
Mando is Back - Ludwig Göransson / Joseph Shirley
Enjoy the Fights - Ludwig Göransson / Joseph Shirley
The Marshal's Tale - Ludwig Göransson / Joseph Shirley
Tusken Raiders - Ludwig Göransson / Joseph Shirley

The Passenger
Get the Child - Ludwig Göransson / Max Sandler [Credited as synth programmer]
Beneath the Ice - Ludwig Göransson / Joseph Shirley
Snacks - Ludwig Göransson

The Heiress
Reunited - Ludwig Göransson / Joseph Shirley
Ship o hoj, Mandalorians! - Ludwig Göransson / Joseph Shirley
Long Live the Empire - Ludwig Göransson

The Siege
Back Together - Ludwig Göransson
Experiment - Ludwig Göransson
Quite a Soldier - Ludwig Göransson / John Williams / Joseph Shirley

The Jedi
The Sorcerer - Ludwig Göransson
The Story - Ludwig Göransson / Pedro Eustache / John Williams
A Mandalorian and a Jedi - Ludwig Göransson / Joseph Shirley / Kevin Kiner
Ahsoka Lives - Kevin Kiner / Ludwig Göransson / Per Gunnar Juliusson [Credited as orchestrator on Göransson's Creed score]

The Tragedy
The Seeing Stone - Ludwig Göransson / Joseph Shirley
Capture the Flag - Ludwig Göransson / Joseph Shirley
The Armor - Ludwig Göransson / Joseph Shirley

The Believer
Invaders on their Land - Nathan David / Ludwig Göransson
Brown Eyes - Nathan David / Ludwig Göransson
Rest in Peace - Ludwig Göransson / Joseph Shirley

The Rescue
Activated - Ludwig Göransson
The Sword - Ludwig Göransson
Troopers - Ludwig Göransson
A Friend - Ludwig Göransson
Open the Door - Ludwig Göransson / John Williams
Come with Me - Ludwig Göransson

• 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Also, @CGCJ I recently noticed that your spreadsheet has a page marked "Series 1 (Unsorted)" that lists a Chapter 3 cue as Not Forgotten. I'm almost certain this is the missing music from when Mando spots Baby Yoda's favourite trinket on the dashboard, turns off the Crest's engines and decides to go back for him. The timing seems to line up as far as I can tell. It comes after Mando's Back (also unreleased) in sequence. Just wanted to double check as I had noticed this the last time I opened the spreadsheet to figure out which cue was which. Thanks for putting the document together- it's really helped me to stay organized!

Thanks! I noticed that cue among the information I had copied from Sabam's database and wasn't sure where it was in the episode. I also recently discovered another cue from Chapter 8; "The Armorer".

• 2 weeks later...

First cue information from series 2! (courtesy of Songview):

Spoiler

The Marshal

Mandalorian Season 1 Recap D - Max Sandler

The Passenger
Get the Child - Max Sandler
Bar Source - Max Sandler
Spider Attack - Max Sandler

Trying Times [Credits 01:43 to John Williams, presumably for the use of the Resistance theme]

The Heiress
Fishing Village Pub - Max Sandler

The Siege
Navarro Street Source - Max Sandler

The Jedi

Jedi [Credits 00:31 to Kevin Kiner]

Baby Names [Credits 01:10 to Pedro Eustache and 00:09 to John Williams, who are credited for The Story on the soundtrack release, definitely the first cue of that track]

Kill Her [Credits 00:20 to Kevin Kiner]

Ahsoka Lives [Credits Kevin Kiner]

The Believer

Phase 1 - Nathan David

Vaders on Their Land - Nathan David [Obviously Invaders on Their Land, but that's the exact title it is registered under]

Proceed With Caution - Nathan David

Frenemies - Nathan David

Brown Eyes - Nathan David
Toast - Nathan David
Put Your Helmet Back On - Nathan David

The Rescue
Knock Knock (00:50) [Registered between Troopers and A Friend from the soundtrack release, very likely the unreleased cue in-between the tracks where the Dark Troopers start punching the door and an X-Wing arrives]

Edit: Even more added! [28/04/2021, 05/05/2021, 27/05/2021, 07/12/2021]

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2021 at 3:02 AM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Not sure if anyone here has already seen this video from last year, but Ludwig recently retweeted it and I think it's easily my favourite cover of The Mandalorian at this point.

Really cool dressed-up arrangement that riffs on the recorder theme, the fanfare, the Razor Crest, the Jawa theme, and the Child's theme from Season 1. I dig it!

Haha it's like The Mandalorian meets Cowboy Bebop, love it. Speaking of which, I wish the former was just as bold as the latter when it comes to blending genres.

• 1 month later...

I did this shortly after S2 finished.

Volume 1 (Episodes 1-4) 25 Tracks, 69 Minutes

Volume 2 (Episodes 5-8) 23 Tracks, 60 Minutes

Episode 1:

I Included everything released because every track has something new to offer and serve as pretty good setup for the rest of the Season. I put the final track "The Mandalorian" at the end of Volume 2 to finish of the Album more nicely.

01. Hey Mando

02. Face To Face

03. Back For Beskar

04. HammerTime

05. Blurg Attack

06. You Are A Mandalorian

07. Bounty Droid

08. The Asset

Episode 2:

09. Jawas Attack

10. To The Jawas

11. The Egg