Ludwig Göransson's THE MANDALORIAN - Both Season 2 OST Albums now available (2020)

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For all the challenges that 2020 brought us, the two albums for the second season of The Mandalorian were an encouraging reward at the tail end of an...interesting year. The music was, for me, love at

Due to the nature of this season's score release, I have concluded that while it is not exactly ideal to continue the thematic analysis precisely as I did last year, it would still be good to dissect

EDIT: Sorry to spam with so many Youtube links  .  Just wanted to get the discussion started on this score more in-depth!  Also, @Falstaft some potential new entries for your catalog     ---

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Isn't the theme that opens "The Seeing Stones" a theme for Grogu and Mando's relationship?  If it's not what it is, just a theme for Grogru himself?

hehe I had just mentioned that a few posts above you there. You're correct! 

15 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

You're on the right track! That is, as far as we've been able to tell, the theme for Mando & child, as it has essentially charted their relationship from early on in Season One. 

There have been a few more allusions to it this season as well, such as in Vol. 1's Experiment as well as in Vol. 2's The Seeing Stone.

I must admit it was a shame to assist to The Return of...

Spoiler

The Luke!!!

...without hearing the.. 

Spoiler

Star Wars Main

...Theme.

At least he gaved us a little bit of The...

Spoiler

Force

...Theme at the end.

The new Season 2 volume 2 OST album is GREAT!

There are a number of reasons for this

One is that the scores for episodes 5-8 just happened to be overall better than the scores for episodes 1-4 (IMO)

Also, it seems as the season went on ratio of new music compared to tracked season 1 music got better and better, with the finale being all original music, from what I noticed watching once anyway... and so, the Vol 2 album is longer, which is great, as the ideas get more room to shine and develop

And finally, a big problem I had with the Vol 1 album was that it had no ending, there was no "big finish" or anything, the album just kind of went along its way building and building, and then just stopped.  This is completely irrelevant now, because if you simply listen to both albums back to back as if it was one single album, you get an extremely satisfying album experience with nothing unusual about its structure or pacing at all.  Basically, if they had just released Season 2's minute as a 109 minute album after the whole season was over instead of splitting it in two volumes, it would have done a better service to the music, IMO (though, it was nice getting half of it a month earlier!)

I've already listened to this album many times since Friday!  This (double) album is one of my favorite film score releases of the year!

This videos are great! I love seeing how the music syncs up with scenes and the Nite Owls attack for example fits perfectly. I love that cue.

I noticed that there is a little string motif (similar to The Client's theme) that plays two times when the cockpit with the Imperial Officers is seen so maybe its a secondary motif for the Empire, but I'm not sure, as I don't know if it played elsewhere

Also, I realizaed that "A Friend", at least part of it it's just an epic variation on the Mando & Grogu Motif, right? The one that sounds like Kylo's theme

1 minute ago, Knight of Ren said:

I noticed that there is a little string motif (similar to The Client's theme) that plays two times when the cockpit with the Imperial Officers is seen so maybe its a secondary motif for the Empire, but I'm not sure, as I don't know if it played elsewhere

I wondered that too but no other examples came to mind. I'll keep an ear open though!

2 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

Also, I realizaed that "A Friend", at least part of it it's just an epic variation on the Mando & Grogu Motif, right? The one that sounds like Kylo's theme

Could you timestamp that for me perhaps? I've been having trouble picking up on any references in that cue thus far. Thank you!

8 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Could you timestamp that for me perhaps? I've been having trouble picking up on any references in that cue thus far. Thank you!

These are the most prominent ones. For me it sounds like a variation on that theme, with the last two notes swaped, so instead of going down then up, they just go down.

Also could be a coincidence and this is just a new theme for Luke maybe?

The opening riff  in A Friend is the same as the opening in Open The Door, so there's definetly some material Goransson created for Luke

But apart from that, A Friend felt like brand new music to me when I first listened

That's a great breakdown! I also hope we would get some additional cues, especially the action set-piece from Chapter 15, but I'm not complaining since we got some really great cues

I think Open The Door might be one of my favorite Goransson cues he has ever done. I love how he takes a couple of his own motifs and develops them in their most emotional statement yet, making for a really ET inspired finale!

Was randomly skipping through some Season 1 cues when I made a really neat discovery! I know that the Bright Eyes motif first appeared in the Chapter 5 track of the same name, although it was then completely isolated. Well I just realized that later that episode, in Farewell, the complimentary motif, which I've dubbed Grogu/Snacks, makes a brief appearance on strings over the fanfare. This is long before it became it's own thing! Check it out (1:10):

And just an example to clarify/compare what this becomes in Season 2 (0:08):

Any JWFanners out there besides me really liking listening to the Season 2 OST albums, like a lot?

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

image.png

Hey folks!

I've spent the last few months updating my writing and getting to know the ins and outs of a basic website, and I'm now ready (and super excited :D) to share the first few posts from The Music of The Mandalorian, a collection of write-ups on Goransson's score in standard blog format. 

The first round of posts includes a (hopefully) comprehensive thematic catalogue, covering 44 different musical ideas, as well as the isolated score videos for Chapter 8Chapter 11, and Chapter 16. There's still a lot of editing required before the timestamps and other write-ups are up to date, but I think this is a pretty good start.

Of course, I'm still getting accustomed to the technical aspect, which was hardly my forte to begin with. Fortunately, something like this doesn't entail too many complications! I'll post about any updates here as they happen. If you're a fan of the show and score (or know someone who is), feel free to take a look. Feedback is always welcome. 

Thanks! 

Hell yeah! Thank you so much!