Ludwig Göransson & Joseph Shirley's THE MANDALORIAN (2019-present)

Evanus

Probably should've been Haab, would love to hear more Powell Star Wars, but at the end of the day Goransson is good enough for me Not thrilled, but interested. I didn't expect that much for this.

EDIT: Did I write this???

Awesome! Really enjoyed his score for Black Panther. 

I wasn’t expecting for there to be so much talent attached to this show. Very much interested in seeing how it turns out. 

59 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Should've been Haab, would love to hear more Powell Star Wars, but at the end of the day Goransson is good enough for me. Not thrilled, but interested. I didn't expect that much for this.

Am I the only one not the least bit interested in a Haab Star Wars score?  The last thing this new series needs is reheated leftovers

15 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Am I the only one not the least bit interested in a Haab Star Wars score?  The last thing this new series needs is reheated leftovers

Still better than beep boop electronic noises and an overwhelming amount of garage band percussion loops.

On 12/19/2018 at 9:07 PM, John said:

I wasn’t expecting for there to be so much talent attached to this show. Very much interested in seeing how it turns out. 

I am also surprised. There are big names attached to this, at least "bigger" than expected names. Goransson comes as a surprise.

I like Debney quite a bit and would like to see him tackle a Star Wars job some day.

But after Black Panther, I can see the new guy doing a good job too.

I'll be excited for this!

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, the guy doesn't seem like a bad sort.

Clearly puts some thought and effort into what he does; and he likes using different styles.

Means we've got no clue what he'll come up with for this one, but chances are he'll give it a good shot.

On 12/20/2018 at 6:03 AM, crocodile said:

Black Panther...and both Creed scores. The latter ones show that he can write and really properly develop a theme. I think the main Creed theme consists of no fewer than 3 sections. It's first rate stuff and he runs with it.

Karol

The ability to write a good theme is a more important quality in a Star Wars composer than being able to exactly replicate Williams' style IMO

Now I'm not saying that Haab CAN'T write a good theme or anything but none of the Battlefront melodies were all that hot (particularly that main melody from the first game, which becomes really grating after a couple renditions).  

• 6 months later...

They showed a promo on the livestream, but they showed part of the episode (not the full episode, my mistake) behind closed doors. Someone uploaded it to YouTube that day and I downloaded it before it was quickly removed.

• 4 weeks later...

They added some new credits to the music section on IMDB I noticed. A few familiar names in there of course. Mark Graham and Pete Anthony are the conductors (which leads me to assume they're either using the Hollywood Studio Symphony or the London Chamber Orchestra, as I expected). Also Henri Wilkinson is one of the orchestrators (additional composer for Star Wars: Battlefront and Star Wars: The Old Republic).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The LA Times published a long profile of Göransson and the score

https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/story/2019-11-01/composer-ludwig-goransson-music-sounds-black-panther-disney-star-wars-mandalorian

The way I approached it was to try something completely different. The loneliness of a single solo flute. The bass recorder became the sound of the Mandalorian. That’s how I started. ... I wanted the core soul to be organic. Then I wanted to add a tech sound to it. And I also wanted to add on a cinematic orchestra, which makes it feel like ‘Star Wars.’ ”

Sounds like he’s trying something pretty different from imitating Williams, which is only a good thing IMO

On 11/2/2019 at 12:06 AM, KK said:

Lots of talk about the clothes he wears. Very little about his music.

I translate: impossible balancing act (what is a 'cinematic orchestra'?)

I'm cautiously optimistic about the score. I've heard only a little big of Ludwig's music before, and wasn't that impressed. He's not a bad composer, just kind of... bland? Not sure if that's the word I'm looking for exactly. 

I just hope it sounds like Star Wars, and not Hans Zimmer / Junkie XL shit.