Ludwig Göransson & Joseph Shirley's THE MANDALORIAN (2019-present)

Evanus

43 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

That brings another item of note- there are no jawas in Chapter 5, which suggests that Goransson's themes aren't necessarily tied down by associations (i.e. the Razor Crest theme on solo woodwind, acoustic guitar for unrelated events in Episode 4).

Yes, it's not really thematic writing in the traditional sense a lot of the time.

Like we tried to nail down the heroic fanfare as a Razor Crest motif, but he's also used this quick synth riff a few times for Razor Crest flying shots:

42 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

That brings another item of note- there are no jawas in Chapter 5, which suggests that Goransson's themes aren't necessarily tied down by associations (i.e. the Razor Crest theme on solo woodwind, acoustic guitar for unrelated events in Episode 4).

No, it suggests that... they are two completely different motifs, which they are. :P Slow the track way down if you have to; the underlying/implied harmonies are completely different, the rhythms are different (aside from the first 4 notes, which go by very quickly), the pitches are different... These are two different themes set in 7/8 (or fast 7/4) time. The jawa one is jumpier and more mischievous, and the speederbike one has more of a relaxed feel. I'm tempted to put them into a notation software and post screenshots for comparison, if nobody else does.

I think that the point is there is a relation here sonically, even if they don't have the same harmonies and rhythm. Now that you mention it, I wouldn't object to seeing them in comparison, but again we mustn't outdo ourselves. :lol:

What is the very, very famous classical piece that the beginning of "Little Mousey" reminds me of?  It's one of those things that I know very well but it's just completely escaping my brain this morning.  It's very frustrating!

9 minutes ago, eitam said:

It reminds me a little of Bach's toccata and fugue in D minor.

YES!

Thank you!  I knew it was one of those pieces everybody knows and I've heard a thousand times (thanks Captain Nemo) but I just could not find it in my memory today.  As soon as "Little Mousey" started that's exactly what I thought of.

This is so frustrating. I really want to watch this show but cannot get past the awful music. Can someone please re-edit the short episodes with some other music?!?!?!?! lol

I really liked today's score, except it has no ending as released and some cool cues that could fix that are unreleased!

I'm liking how this score is developing, and enjoying it before watching the series (though I have seen the first two episodes as tasters). Of course there are some unlistenable tracks - however they channel the feel of Morricone's western scores into a new, modern, well-produced realm...and there's some ear-catching and driven pieces too. I'm not ready to deconstruct themes yet, but it will be an interesting mix-tape album I create by the end of it!

I think LG and John Powell are definitely recommending themselves to continuing the Star Wars musical universe, but JP is so selective and values-led in his projects, I don't think he'll sign up as Disney's next music-farmer. Let LG take flight instead!

I don't think it's as cut and dry as one major act for future Star Wars releases. I think Disney will be open to more composers now Williams has passed the legacy down. I wouldn't be surprised if Giacchino returns, or Desplat finally gets his shot after the Rogue One fiasco, or they give a project to JNH etc. All depends on who's directing at that point.

Powell's Solo gig, at once amazes me and also makes me wonder why he couldn't have done Solo... solo? On one hand you're working with John Williams, on the other hand it's like they didn't trust Powell alone, it's a weird situation but it was a success! 

On 12/14/2019 at 1:05 PM, Arpy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Giacchino returns, or Desplat finally gets his shot after the Rogue One fiasco, or they give a project to JNH etc.

I'll be very excited for two out of those three options!

On 12/14/2019 at 1:05 PM, Arpy said:

Powell's Solo gig, at once amazes me and also makes me wonder why he couldn't have done Solo... solo? On one hand you're working with John Williams, on the other hand it's like they didn't trust Powell alone, it's a weird situation but it was a success! 

Or Williams simply felt too much inspiration to not contribute.

Let's not underestimate the power of enthusiasm. :D

16 hours ago, Arpy said:

One can only hope, but like others I feel as if it was Disney trying to make up for the bts drama.

Maybe yes, maybe no. There's just no telling.

Does it matter?

For me, I have found enjoyment in every Star Wars thing Disney has released so far.

That is what matters to me.

After seeing the first six episodes, and not having listened to the score outside of the show, it seems to me that the music is becoming more symphonic as the show progresses.

Episide one and two was leaning extremely heavy into the western angle, but episode three introduced some more traditional classical melodies, textures and harmonies... episode four even more so which is why I’m guessing a lot of people really liked the score for that one.

It’s a good development. Anything Star Wars needs a symphonic score.

Do you think it's a progressive thing, like that, or is it more tied to the planets/environments?  For instance, the AT-ST planet and Tatooine had fairly organic sounds, but the space prison break I think was less classical - at least as I remember it in the episode, as I haven't listened to the album yet.

I don’t really see the location influence in the music.

To me, it kind of seems that Ludwig got more comfortable with each episode, finding his groove... or as if the studio put more “pressure” on him with each passing episode to put more symphonic music in there so that the show would line up better with how the rest of the SW universe sounds.

But that would imply that he scored them all individually and in chronological order, which I doubt.

But it kind of makes sense that he’d have more time on the later episodes than the earlier episodes. Maybe it’s a combination of both “finding his groove” and “studio meddling”... ?

I dunno. Maybe I was just so thrown off by the western-esque music in E1 and E2 that my brain was unable to pick up anything else... and it took till E3 before I got used enough to it to pick up the symphonic bits.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:38 AM, Bofur01 said:

In an intriguing turn of events, although Chapter 5 is up on Apple Music on time this week, it says that track 2 isn’t available in my country or region... hmm.

Intriguing.

21 hours ago, mstrox said:

Do you think it's a progressive thing, like that, or is it more tied to the planets/environments?  For instance, the AT-ST planet and Tatooine had fairly organic sounds, but the space prison break I think was less classical - at least as I remember it in the episode, as I haven't listened to the album yet.

I think it's a conscious decision to introduce a new/different sound with the character and then slowly marry it with the more symphonic guise of the films as the series progresses. I have to say, even if Goransson isn't using any of Williams' material, the outright orchestral sound is very close to the fanfares of the OT.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2019 at 4:42 PM, Disco Stu said:

A new entry for my iso score videos.

The Mandalorian Chapter 4 - Isolated Score

Training the Plebs - Camp Attack - Spirit of the Woods

My only explanation for why this hasn't worked on multiple attempts is that Google is secretly running their Youtube copyright algorithms on Google Drive uploads now.

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My only explanation for why this hasn't worked on multiple attempts is that Google is secretly running their Youtube copyright algorithms on Google Drive uploads now.

AdorableRichGalapagoshawk-size_restricte

On 12/13/2019 at 2:58 PM, ocelot said:

This is so frustrating. I really want to watch this show but cannot get past the awful music. Can someone please re-edit the short episodes with some other music?!?!?!?! lol

yeah, it sounds like music for a cheap TV show

I don't hate the credit theme though

An alright season, but kind of aimless. Baby Yoda's appealing and everything looks like Star Wars, but it's like moving around a theme park with a Boba Fett cosplayer. The show exploits all the iconography we know from Star Wars but doesn't really take it anywhere. It's not as rigid as the main saga films which you'd think would let them be a bit more free, but it feels like they're playing things safe which is a consequence of no strong link to the Star Wars mythos - yet.

I'm a fan of it, but really hoping it's storylines become a bit more involved with more stakes next season. The scores fine, sometimes it's great, sometimes it's meh, sometimes it's un-Star Warsy.

I only just noticed the credits rendition of the Razor Claw motif is peppered with the fluttering synth that usually accompanies space travel transitions in the first couple episodes! Nice touch.

7 minutes ago, dylanskie said:

I was half-expecting the Force theme to play when the Child blows the fire away from everyone until I remembered what I was watching!

I was also expecting that there, but Ludwig did well to avoid any references to JW for the entire show. Kudos to him.

Personally I don't see the harm in one or two statements of JW's ideas where appropriate.

He played coy in an interview about whether he used any of JW's themes, so I figured they were going to use something eventually - surprised they didn't, but not necessarily disappointed!

Maybe they recorded some music with JW themes but then decided to use a different version in the final cut of the episode and OST album

Honestly, the best way to achieve a coherent listening experience worth returning to involves some editing. I guess I could try my hand at whipping up a Spotify playlist at some point. I'll post a link later.