Ludwig Göransson & Joseph Shirley's THE MANDALORIAN (2019-present)

Evanus

I wasn't sure if you wanted to be known on the forum for this case, so sorry @Holko. It was indeed your edit that I based the playlist off of. I ended up cutting tracks that only had small excerpts on the album (Back for Beskar, Mandalore Way, Welcome Back) and I also trimmed down the amount of music from Chapter 8 that was included. I haven't actually listened to this playlist yet but I can only hope it even comes close to your work in terms of a great listening experience!

11 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Loosely based on a fan-made album with the exception of a few tracks and obviously edits. Should do the trick in terms of covering the highlights and spreading out material effectively, as if it were an actual album.

Thanks more making and sharing this playlist!  I listened last night and really liked it.  I'm digging this score a lot!

I still haven't seen the show, but hope to start it soon, and I'm sure my appreciation for the music will only go up after I do.

BTW, what happened to the cool series of posts where people were describing all the themes and what tracks they appear in?

On 07/01/2020 at 9:38 AM, Jay said:

BTW, what happened to the cool series of posts where people were describing all the themes and what tracks they appear in?

I had started to make a thematic guide for the first three episodes, but it became too difficult to decipher as the episodes progressed because a) it's not traditional thematic writing in terms of motific associations and b) there's a lot of overlap between themes at times, made possible by electronics and much variation on Goransson's part. To create a full catalogue would be quite difficult, and to then break it down track-by-track would be an even more mammoth task. Perhaps it could become a community project among fans of the score to tackle this. @Holko @Disco Stu let me know.

Here's a recap of the themes we know and the names we initially gave them:

Recorder Riff 

Fanfare (Main Theme- ?)

Razor Crest (triumphant fanfare)

Travelling Motif (like Kylo Ren's theme)

Western Motif (da-dun)

The Client (ominous high strings)

Mandalorian Culture 

Forge Motif (may be a massive variation of the recorder riff)

Chime Motif 

Jawa Motif (off-kilter tune)

The Child (guitar line)

Since then we've also received these, off the top of my head:

Raiders/Villagers Motif (Chapter 4)

IG's Theme (Chapter 7 and 8- see Reprogram)

Moff Gideon's Theme (Chapter 7 and 8- see Arrival)

There might be some others I'm forgetting.

On 07/01/2020 at 9:59 AM, Bofur01 said:

Hey Holko, could you link your playlist here too?

Holko's was a custom album that required personal editing of tracks. He cannot post the exact edit on the forum because it would require the sharing of copyrighted files, although my playlist attempts to mimic his album without edits and using the cues he used simply as they are released.

On January 7, 2020 at 1:18 PM, Holko said:

Bit too heavy on ep8 but what I tried to do with it (like showing developments of the more main motifs more in the beginning, middle and end, filling the inbetweens with more diverse material), I kinda succeeded, I liked it on its 3 trial runs and Jerry seemed to pretend to like it when we listened together, too!

Haha, I continue to praise you for your work with the editing, which showed both considerable thought and effort in order to achieve coherence. I've listened to it a three times since and it's a very well done edit. Thanks Holko!

Also, I've been pretty busy lately but I should have some free time this weekend to possibly buckle down and tackle the whole series track for track. I'll see how far I get and keep everyone updated on my findings!

On 1/7/2020 at 9:38 AM, Jay said:

Part of this is that as we got further into the series, it became clearer that Goransson wasn't really applying recurring melodies in much of a representational manner.  There are a few (like his Jawa motif), but they mostly seem to be just moods he can tap into.  They might be broadly associated with a particular location, but aren't meant to represent that location.

Like one Jerry, Holko, and I had tentatively identified as being a melody for the Mandalorian culture, I've decided is really just a motif he uses when a scene on the bounty hunter planet calls for intense and mysterious atmosphere.

I'll let the other close listeners chime in if they agree or disagree @The Illustrious Jerry @Holko

We certainly won't be collaborating with Doug on a book on his impeccably precise use of leitmotif, that's for damn sure.

I still love how the flashbacks develop (HammerTime, Signet Forging, Thousand Tears) or how he threw in a brand new and well-developed motif for the reprogrammed IG-11 for the last 2 episodes!

On January 8, 2020 at 12:35 PM, Disco Stu said:

Like one Jerry, Holko, and I had tentatively identified as being a melody for the Mandalorian culture, I've decided is really just a motif he uses when a scene on the bounty hunter planet calls for intense and mysterious atmosphere. 

Just made an interesting discovery- while we may have lost the trail on the Mandalorian culture theme a bit, the high strings that play counterpoint to it in the track Back for Beskar (Episode 1) reappear multiple times completely separate from the previously-dubbed Mando culture theme, notably at the beginning of Celebration (Episode 2) and in Mando Rescue (Episode 3). I'm sure there are more examples elsewhere, but this revelation was very interesting for me. 

Also, I'd spitballed around with @Holko as to what the music that plays mostly on Kuill's planet could be (Blurgg Attack, You Are a Mandalorian) and it turns out it's basically a very skeletal variation of the recorder riff. 

Anyways, if you haven't already guessed by these last two posts, I have started to sit down and analyze episode-for-episode, track-for-track. I'll start posting tomorrow.

Great work so far, @The Illustrious Jerry, I wouldn't have gotten through all this. (Maybe doing that bloody Chamber of Secrets thing has put me off from this kind of stuff for life, and there I had all the themes practically spelled out for me!)

I did not even notice the travelling motif so far!

Couple notes:

12 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

2:09  Razor Crest

2:20  Razor Crest

You did mark Fanfare only once for each full statement (AB A'B' D E), I'd say this is a full statement of Razor Crest, first part falling down, second part flying away at the end (ABCD ABCE)

12 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

4. HammerTime (2:18)

0:15  Forge Motif

0:27  Forge Motif 

0:46  Recorder Riff (orchestral variation)

1:18  Forge Motif

I'm somewhat missing the fluttering synth at 1:24, used multiple times, almost overwhelmingly for space travel cutaways (unlike at 1:20 in The Mudhorn), but more so the rythm at 1:45 which reprises 1:01 of Back for Beskar and will pop up in the future. One's more of a texture and one's a rythm, so their motif status can be disputed of course.

The small figure and snooping in the dark stuff at 2:22 of The Egg will also return if I remember correctly.

5 hours ago, Holko said:

Great work so far, @The Illustrious Jerry, I wouldn't have gotten through all this. (Maybe doing that bloody Chamber of Secrets thing has put me off from this kind of stuff for life, and there I had all the themes practically spelled out for me!)

I did not even notice the travelling motif so far!

Thanks very much for the kind words and encouragement from both yourself and @Cerebral Cortex! I was speculating if this would be worth the effort, and I decided that the score is very thematically rich and enough people care about it that an analysis could prove interesting/helpful to listeners. 

The travelling motif is quite an neat little theme. We don't hear it so much in later episodes, but it's one of the last things we hear in Season One, a very emotionally climactic final rendition. It's quite prominent in different environments at least once in each of the first three episodes, the first being more subdued, the second having some major Vangelis vibes, and the third really sounding like Kylo Ren's theme. 

5 hours ago, Holko said:

Couple notes:

You did mark Fanfare only once for each full statement (AB A'B' D E), I'd say this is a full statement of Razor Crest, first part falling down, second part flying away at the end (ABCD ABCE)

I'm somewhat missing the fluttering synth at 1:24, used multiple times, almost overwhelmingly for space travel cutaways (unlike at 1:20 in The Mudhorn), but more so the rythm at 1:45 which reprises 1:01 of Back for Beskar and will pop up in the future. One's more of a texture and one's a rythm, so their motif status can be disputed of course.

The small figure and snooping in the dark stuff at 2:22 of The Egg will also return if I remember correctly.

In response to note no. 1, that is a fair assessment so I'll change that today and double back on the other statements to make sure I'm consistent.

In response to note no. 2, those recurring synth moments are what I'd call disputed territory because they certainly appear a lot but they don't really have any solid foundational grounds to be themes or motifs. I'd consider noting the first one you mentioned, but the rhythm in Back for Beskar already plays under two other themes in that instance (!) so it can get kind of messy when looking for it. In part I'm also hesitant because it's just one more thing to listen for LOL. :lol:

In response to note no. 3, I recalled hearing that in another episode but I couldn't remember which one or if it made it to the mini OST so I didn't jump on it just yet. When I get to it I will make a small note of it, but again it's not really a theme or motif, it's just a recurring idea. Super cool part though- well spotted in the episode and a neat texture to it. 

Also, I'd almost forgotten about the Dies Irae in Bounty Droid. 

Here's some cue titles from the SABAM repertoire.

Interesting how this seems to go by the in-episode music, seeing as how 'Warm or Cold' is only 5 seconds long (like how it was in the episode: 95 % muted for no good reason)

On 12/01/2020 at 3:49 PM, MedigoScan said:

Interesting how this seems to go by the in-episode music, seeing as how 'Warm or Cold' is only 5 seconds long (like how it was in the episode: 95 % muted for no good reason)

That's just how the repertoires work, I'm almost certain they get their cue info from the cue sheets, as the timings always match the final edits. (Even when it's known that a cue is in-fact longer)

Just finished revising part 2 of the track-for-track breakdown, which includes Chapters 3 and 4. Made some very interesting discoveries, most notably in Chapter 4, which believe it or not got pretty muddy for my ears in terms of trying to listen for certain parts (not a comment on the sound quality but how Goransson weaves and layers his themes- it's frustratingly awesome!). It'd seem as though there is a minor woodwind theme for the villagers (opening of Can I Feed Him?), the obvious main theme of the episode for, I guess, the raiders, a sort of pre-chorus to the main raiders theme, and another section that goes along with that too. 

Unfortunately I need to hit the hay for tonight so I'll not be posting everything right now, but I'll get around to it as soon as I can tomorrow. 

Once again thanks for the appreciative/enoucraging comments/feedback! It means a lot!

I tend to feel like what you're calling the Recorder Riff, Main Fanfare, Razor Crest, and Western Motifs (and perhaps the Chime Motif as well) are all just collectively components of what I've been considering The Mandalorian theme, much like how something like Rey's theme has four distinct parts. Notably right from the first episode you see Ludwig working all of these motifs together in the closing credits. In this case something like the Razor Crest motif being used for something other than the Razor Crest isn't incongruous because that motif is really just the B theme of the main theme.

The other motif that I feel like you're missing - unless I missed something or this is just a varied rendition of something else - is the one right at the start of this:

0:00 of The Mandalorian (Orchestral Version) is a string rendition of the "skeleton" of what I've been calling Recorder Riff. 

Also @DominicCobb that is a fair assessment. Naturally, for all intensive purposes I will retain the names that I've been using throughout the rest of the analysis. 

6 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

0:00 of The Mandalorian (Orchestral Version) is a string rendition of the "skeleton" of what I've been calling Recorder Riff. 

Interesting. I do hear the connection (especially on a track like "The Baby" where one flows into the other). Goransson seems fond of doing these sorts of deconstructed variations.

Also @DominicCobb that is a fair assessment. Naturally, for all intensive purposes I will retain the names that I've been using throughout the rest of the analysis. 

Yeah, definitely fair enough. It's a lot easier to keep track if they all have different names anyway.

On January 18, 2020 at 8:04 PM, MedigoScan said:

I think the Jagged Violin also makes an appearance in The Gang at 0:36 and Tracking Beacon at 2:17. I really liked the overall sound of this episode too.

Thanks for that! I've updated the post with those two timestamps. Also updated the Part 1 post to make reference to the The Egg quotes in Chapters 5 and 6.

I, too, also enjoy the sound of the episode. It feels the most different of all eight, probably because it has the heaviest use of electronic and synth elements mixed in with very unique orchestral textures (mostly with the strings; the "jagged" violin, the beginning of Tracking Beacon, etc.). Goransson's perfect touch makes it all work in a way that's really easy to dig in to. 

Cue titles for the last two episodes - Again from the SABAM reptoire

Spoiler

The Reckoning
107 Recap (01:03)
Man of Honor (01:57)
Country Pub (00:49)
I'm In (00:48)
Return to Agnot (01:05) - Joseph Shirley
Tea Anyone? (02:34)
Quill (01:20)
Skill of Hands (01:06) - Joseph Shirley
Walking Through Navvaro (04:03)
Reptavian Attack (02:40) - Joseph Shirley
This Is It (03:48)
Gift for the Boss (02:36)
Moff Gideon (04:36)

Redemption
108 Recap (01:16)
Check Point (00:41)
Nurse Droid (00:52)
The Ewebb (04:41)
A Thousand Tears (04:10)
Nurse and Protect (03:58) - Joseph Shirley
A Warrior's Death (04:33)
What Remains in the Tunnels (03:08)
Clan of Two (03:30)
Be Safe on Your Journey (00:42)
Sacrifice (03:01)
Mando Flies (02:16)
Take Care (03:30)
Gideon's Return (00:52)

My attempt to sort the cue titles with the released music.

On 1/6/2020 at 9:15 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

@publicist 

Loosely based on a fan-made album with the exception of a few tracks and obviously edits. Should do the trick in terms of covering the highlights and spreading out material effectively, as if it were an actual album.

Finally got around to giving this playlist a proper listen.  Good work on it, Jerry.  Nice flow from track to track indeed.  

A lot to like in this general summary of the season's music.  Nothing that really thrills me, but more interesting than a lot of what's out there.

• 1 month later...

As I revisit these mini-albums and rekindle my love for the score after an ever so slight listening hiatus, I've been thinking about recording a podcast-style analysis of the music of The Mandalorian. I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to things of this nature, but I'm confident I could crank something out some time down the line. It'd be a good thing to keep me busy on the weekends (not that I need stuff to do, but at least this is fun!). 

Not sure if the interest is there, seeing as even I myself will likely become bored of my own voice, but my passion for Goransson's music runs through and through and I'd be pleased if this idea came to fruition. Any thoughts/suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't seem very likely.  Very little new film music from the 2020s (I know Mando started in 2019) will be pressed to physical CDs.  Just the way it is.

Vinyl is more likely that CDs, but since I doubt they'd press all 8 individual episode albums to vinyl, someone would have to arrange a highlights LP

• 1 month later...

I managed to listen to your personal edit @Holko! More than once as well. It is actually a very well assembled album that could easily pass as a commercial CD. Some of these cues will be quite difficult to hear apart now (the training the villagers track comes to mind). :) Obviously, I don't know all the details of these scores but it seems the majority of ideas are there. One thing I was missing is this little Star Trek-like transitional fanfare on muted brass but I can't find which cue it's from (or even which episode!). It was so old school and uber-cool little moment.

In any case, I kept your 79-minute album as a separate soundtrack album for the show on my player. Thank you for that. :)

Karol

I've been listening to the finale mini-OST frequently.  I love the succession of cues for basically the whole siege of the cantina sequence: The Ewebb / A Thousand Tears / Nurse and Protect / A Warrior's Death.  Goransson knocked it out of the park!

Hey @The Illustrious Jerry we need to re-think calling the Travelling Motif that name, considering how important it becomes at the end of the series, essentially serving as the music for the emotional climaxes.  I don't really have any ideas for a new name though :D.

It's pretty incredible to compare its uses at the beginning of the series when it was played much "darker" to how its used in Chapter 8.  The only real hint we get early on at how it will be used later is in Chapter 2 in the transition from the campfire scene to Mando walking with The Child at sunrise in the cue "A New Day."  Because this is the beginning of his relationship with the Child starting to flower, and how it's used in Chapter 8, it almost seems like a theme he uses for their sorta father-son relationship.  But of course that doesn't really gibe with the darker uses of it early on.  I dunno!  But it's one of the highlights of Goransson's Mandalorian scores, that's what I do know!

For others' reference here are the climactic uses of this theme in Chapter 8

First when The Child reflects the flamethrower fire back on the storm trooper here:

(1:57 - 2:40)

Then at the end when Mando flies off with Child in tow

(0:44 - 1:58)

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I've been listening to the finale mini-OST frequently.  I love the succession of cues for basically the whole siege of the cantina sequence: The Ewebb / A Thousand Tears / Nurse and Protect / A Warrior's Death.  Goransson knocked it out of the park!

Yes! I get chills when I hear the recorder theme on that kind of distorted wailing guitar in A Thousand Tears. One of many "home run" moments in that stretch!

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Hey @The Illustrious Jerry we need to re-think calling the Travelling Motif that name, considering how important it becomes at the end of the series, essentially serving as the music for the emotional climaxes.  I don't really have any ideas for a new name though :D.

It's pretty incredible to compare its uses at the beginning of the series when it was played much "darker" to how its used in Chapter 8.  The only real hint we get early on at how it will be used later is in Chapter 2 in the transition from the campfire scene to Mando walking with The Child at sunrise in the cue "A New Day."  Because this is the beginning of his relationship with the Child starting to flower, and how it's used in Chapter 8, it almost seems like a theme he uses for their sorta father-son relationship.  But of course that doesn't really gibe with the darker uses of it early on.  I dunno!  But it's one of the highlights of Goransson's Mandalorian scores, that's what I do know!

You're absolutely right in regards to this unique scenario. While we did get off easy by dubbing those earlier frustrations of ours (two part Mando culture idea) as "utility" motifs, a similar title doesn't really apply here. 

I had also considered, like yourself, if it could represent the development of Mando's relationship with the child, and from a certain point of view (hehe) this could still hold up. The first time we hear it is in an unreleased cue in full menacing mode as Mando takes his quarry to Navarro, where he'll eventually receive his next job (wink, wink). Then again in, if I recall correctly, Face to Face, when the client discusses the asset with Mando. While these both occur before we've met our beloved baby Yoda, they could, in a thematic sense, foreshadow the reveal of his character and, more specifically, his yet-to-be relationship with Mando. 

We then hear it in Jawas Attack as a synth and brass blast while Mando and baby Yoda walk through the desert. The next time it appears is in A New Day, where it again appears in a darker form, possibly signifying the forthcoming trials born out of Mando delivering the asset to the client. This is where my memory goes a tad off, but if I recall correctly, the next time we hear it is in those two emotional climaxes that you've cited, which are rather self-explanatory. When viewed in this light, I'd wager that it could work as, say, a Mando & Child motif. 

For context, we had originally shot for "travelling" after the first three episodes because that was the best connection we could make between the above dots. Now with the knowledge of the final two statements and the character development in the show, a more apt notation can be assigned. 

I'll be sure to update the analysis if you agree that this change is fitting. Thanks for sparking the discussion! 

• 3 weeks later...

The Rotten Tomatoes page for The Mandalorian Gallery already has the topics of the next three episodes up, and yes, we will be getting an episode entirely devoted to Göransson's score! The episode, the seventh in the docuseries, will be available to stream on Disney+ on June 12.

Description: 

We meet Ludwig Göransson inside his studio where he details how The Mandalorian's musical themes were written. We then journey to the scoring stage to witness the live orchestra recording session.

Thus far the Gallery's approach hasn't quite been what we had hoped for, but fingers crossed that this upcoming episode really delves deep into this fascinating musical world. Please note that I will update the analysis should any themes be named by the composer himself (unless of course we disagree, which we can talk about if we get to that point ;)).

"John Williams created an incredible body of work, and moving away ftom it was an interesting but hard decision, but still we hope we lived up to his legacy."

Roll credits

:P

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 9:24 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The Rotten Tomatoes page for The Mandalorian Gallery already has the topics of the next three episodes up, and yes, we will be getting an episode entirely devoted to Göransson's score! The episode, the seventh in the docuseries, will be available to stream on Disney+ on June 12.

Description: 

Thus far the Gallery's approach hasn't quite been what we had hoped for, but fingers crossed that this upcoming episode really delves deep into this fascinating musical world. Please note that I will update the analysis should any themes be named by the composer himself (unless of course we disagree, which we can talk about if we get to that point ;)).

It's up.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just watched the beginning of the first episode, and all was good until the Mandalorian walked through the doors, and the viennese police siren sounded on some wacky woodwind.

That was obviously a nod to those hostile warrior aliens in Star Trek, right? But was Goldsmith / Horner in turn even aware of what that pattern was? Steiner definitely was aware when he used it aptly in a crime film in the 1940s --- "The Letter", I think..., because he had lived in Vienna his entire youth...

Anyway, the use is unintentionally funny to me, and I find it surreal to already know pieces by 4 different composers which all use this signal.

18 hours ago, The River (Fal) said:

I thought it was supposed to be more of a Western nod?

No reason it couldn't be both, as it is a western in space.

Anyway, I've just finished the season and, after hours of barebones Rocky Balboa shtick, played the Phantom Menace end credits to end the show rightly.

Williams' music hits like a freight train after so much Star Wars without it... during this show I felt that the music was hit and miss in terms of application. Usually it was fitting, but a bit too many times it was just confusing in being mismatched in energy to what was happening in the picture, and rather awkwardly timed.