Ludwig Göransson & Joseph Shirley's THE MANDALORIAN (2019-present)

Evanus

Thirty string players, all wearing masks and spaced six feet apart, played on the first seven episodes. For the season finale, the orchestra was expanded to 59, including 39 strings, two woodwinds and 11 brass players, sources say. Musicians union rules, based on county health regulations, dictated that the strings be recorded separately from the woodwind and brass players, so those were done on different days.

So episodes 1-7 are just strings + synth?

7 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I even read the article and somehow missed that!  Damn, this could mean more unreleased music for this season than last :( 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

So episodes 1-7 are just strings + synth?

I think the article was mistaken on that. I think I definitely heard some live brass in this new episode (from non-tracked-in stuff).

There could be so little new music recorded, it makes for a stronger listening experience to arrange it into a lengthy season OST instead of small weekly OSTs

They maybe release the season 2 scores like they do for the final season of Clone Wars, with one album when 4 épisodes will be release...

Meanwhile, right now, I'm pissed off !

So, no OST per episode like in season 1? 

I gotta say, that's disappointing. Unless, like people said, there's so little new music in season 2 that there's no need of one album per episode.

54 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

like people said, there's so little new music in season 2 that there's no need of one album per episode.

Just the first episode prove that "people" are wrong.

Episode 6 OST is a dark and gritty experience for a bit of an unusual episode.  It's cool to have one of the scores features a lot more electric guitar than the others

Episode 7 & 8 OSTs are awesome.  The whole season builds and builds to this finale, and within these 2 episodes they build and build to its big climax.  So many emotional payoffs at the end.

The only thing weird about this album is the really abrupt ending of the final track.  What happens in the episode at this point?  They maybe should have stuck the main theme suite on the end to round things out here or something.

I just rewatched the episode, and now I have a better idea of what is new and what is tracked, and I would say that there are at least four or five cues of completely new music that would be worth having in a small album. Too bad they won't be doing those releases this time

About the themes, I think I identified two new ones. The description maybe kind of a spoiler:

Spoiler

The first one is the travelling theme that leads Mando to Mos Pelgo, that plays a couple of times (I specially like the guitar variation when he arrives at the village)

I also noted a repeating motif that plays during the flashback sequence, which could be a theme / motif for Cobb Vanth. It's a high string motif that plays when the miners attack the pub, and when he returns and kills the miners

Also, the melody that plays when tuskens arrive at Mos Pelgo could be a variation of the "travelling theme", but could also be a new theme, I'm not sure

And I think the tracked music is most noticeable in the final standoff with lots of segments from episode 2 and Spirit of the Woods from Episode 4.

I hope that, when they do a release, it has almost all of the new cues (like the travelling music or the flashback sequence), and I also hope it happen before the season ends, because I cannot wait to hear some of this pieces outside the episode :D 

Question for the experts: Do all 8 episodes of season 1 use the exact same recording of the "The Mandalorian" track from the episode 1 OST as its end credits?

The "Orchestral Version" from the Episode 7 OST is a minute shorter than the normal version.  Is it edited into the rest of the track for that episode?  Or does episode 7 have shorter end credits?

Well actually the other credits don't use the full track "The Mandalorian" either, if you pay attention, they all remove the opening.

Just finished my rewatch of episode 7.

Question for everyone here.  What do you think is the musical or storytelling or whatever else reason for making episode 7 have different end credits music than all the other episodes?  

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Just finished my rewatch of episode 7.

Question for everyone here.  What do you think is the musical or storytelling or whatever else reason for making episode 7 have different end credits music than all the other episodes?  

Because it ends on a darker cliffhanger.

somewhat similar to the Ahsoka on the Run arc in CW season 5.

To me, some of the music in Ep7 felt like the had some unused wild recordings lying around and wanted to use them, aside from the obvious properly scored ones like Reprogram and The Arrival, and aside from the reused tracked music. If that's the case, that credits rendition could have just been an unused variant too that they decided to use because of the dark cliffhanger.

Looks like someone on YouTube managed a pretty darn good clean up job on Chapter 9 cues (NOTE: visuals contain spoilers for Chapter 9). Most notable ones are the Cobb Vanth entrance cue, which is almost completely clean (!), a much longer portion of the Mos Pelgo journey than I could manage (includes the guitar at the end), and this awesome wacky fight music pretty well done up. 

Anyways, still have my fingers crossed for a release or at the very least an announcement! Right now I think the most likely possibilities are:

- 4 albums, released every second chapter with music from two episodes each (we'll know by tomorrow)

- 2 albums, released at the midway point (Nov. 20) and at the season finale with music from four episodes each

- a single album released at the end of the season

As soon as any music is released we'll be sure to pounce on it quickly. 

4 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

- 4 albums, released every second chapter with music from two episodes each (we'll know by tomorrow)

It's already "tomorrow" in most countries, and there ain't no new album out

https://music.apple.com/nz/artist/ludwig-göransson/391832320

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's already "tomorrow" in most countries, and there ain't no new album out

The scores would always drop alongside the episode, so early morning EST. If it's going to happen that's the best bet, as they wouldn't be releasing the music before the episode was out. 

31 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

they wouldn't be releasing the music before the episode was out. 

that's what they did the whole first season....

3 hours ago, Jay said:

You guys think every time they do a cliffhanger ending they'll make new end credits music?

They'll probably just use the one they have.

50 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

that's what they did the whole first season....

I never stayed up to find out but yes, I realize that was the case. I guess it was often around midnight EST that they would drop? Not sure.

In any case, there's time yet to find out, which was what I was ultimately getting at. 

8 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I guess it was often around midnight EST that they would drop?

Yeah, it was midnight, I usually waited until then and posted the youtube link to here, Filmtracks, soundtrack and Star Wars Facebook groups I am part of.

Lovely lovely lovely music in this episode! Though with the ending being a reused (maybe differently mixed) S1 cue again, I can maybe kinda start to see why they're not doing the self-contained standalone OSTs this time.

Yes, it's the first time he use a Williams theme. Weird because now, i will wonder why there's not the force theme when the child use it.

Maybe it will be used later when actual Jedi or Force Users show up or when the characters properly understand what it is?

Good catch! Definitely a reference there, cleverly disguised only using the very end of the first phrase (unlike Powell's slightly more overt reference in Solo).

Question!

Does Goransson write unique music each week for the "previously on" recaps, or do the music editors just grab whatever to underscore it?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Question!

Does Goransson write unique music each week for the "previously on" recaps, or do the music editors just grab whatever to underscore it?

I think it's just music from different episodes mixed together, because for example, in this one I heard Nurse and Protect with I Need One Of Those

BTW, this episode was a bit less heavy on music, but still had some interesting new tracks, like the theme that plays during several scenes with the frog lady. Found it on YouTube with some SFX:

And March of the Resistance with that hip-hop arrangement was great!

I wonder if, from now on, Goransson will make some more ocasional references to Williams material, or if it was just a one time off

8 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

Someone needs to post that March of the Resistance quote, I missed it!

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said: